"its been said...As It Were..."

by xjwms 35 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel8
    rebel8

"As it were..." and "the scripture reads....." were the sayings that annoyed me most. Scriptures do not read, people do!

"You see that worldly people have a nice big house and a motor home in the driveway, but they are never home because they are always gone working to pay for it."

In my cong area there was a new housing development with expensive houses being built. We did the territory in FS, of course on weekdays so no one would be home, and the idiots would peep through the windows at each door. The saying then was, "They bought these expensive houses & can't afford to buy furniture!"

Translation: Peeping tom cult members looked through the windows of newly constructed buildings and saw little furniture. Due to jealous immaturity, they felt the need to make up a reason to insult the homeowners. Maybe they didn't have a chance to furnish that room yet--maybe they prefer it that way--maybe they've got expensive custom made items on back order---why assume they have problems managing money?

• daystar
    daystar
    Daystar you mean the "pure language"

Oh yeah...

• Brigid
    Brigid

Wow, I see I still carry a lot of JWisms in my vocabulary (i.e., I'm a big user of "no doubt...blah blah blah") Oh well!

One of the things that would go all over me was when they said "Jehovah's happy people" and quoted Paul..."rejoice!, I say, rejoice!)

Like "Be <look> happy dammnit!!" "the beatings will continue until morale improves!" when everyone was just dying inside from all of the problems, pressures and unhappiness of being in a cult.

~T.

• Jourles
    Jourles

Back in the day, one of the more popular sayings was:

The Society says....

Too bad they're not supposed to use that one anymore. Classic cult phrase identifier. Must be why the wts finally wised up and told everyone to ditch that saying with the more religiously-mainstream-correct phrase of, "The bible says..."

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy
    "You see that worldly people have a nice big house and a motor home in the driveway, but they are never home because they are always gone working to pay for it."

Not meaning to get off topic, but hearing the above comments like this would make me want to scream. As if there were no JWs whatsoever who were materialistic when in fact a lot I knew were the most selfish greedy money hungry people I have ever seen in my life. Many of them had no problem flaunting telling other financially less fortunate JWs about their ski trips, cruises and usually had several cars but of course when it came to them, they would reason "well there is nothing in the bible that says it is wrong to have them" but if someone who would try to better their situation in life by working harder which may cut into service time, they were not seeking kingdom interests first".

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

And what have we gleaned from all this brothers?

(they used those phrases from the "Kingdom Book of Authorised American Phrases" in the UK too. They even said words no Yorkshire person would ever say in natural speech like 'folks' and 'peoples')

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit