TERROR ALERT _ UK AIRPORTS in CHAOS

by Crumpet 55 Replies latest social current

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    Interesting comment - are you wishing I'd stayed over there?

Now what would give you that idea ? !

*wonders why she loves to hate him*

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

It sounds like everythign is getting back to normal now :

All Easyjet flights from the airport have been cancelled for the rest of the day.

BA has cancelled some short-haul and domestic flights in and out of Gatwick. It said it hoped to run as many long-haul flights as possible but these would be subject to delay.

BAA said those flights which were leaving were subject to an average delay of one hour and 40 minutes

. British Airways are only giving a 1hr 40 minute delay to their flights which is the average delay for an Easy jet flight on a good day.!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Crumpet:*wonders why she loves to hate him*

Because she's a perverse b*tch

Jim:
    Since you have the rail laid down, I couldn't help but wonder why more use wasn't made of it for longhaul passenger travel. Of course we have the reverse problem, where we could do with more of our freight being sent on rail, instead of having trucks clogging up our congested roadways.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    Because she's a perverse b*tch

I love it when you use that kind of language about me - next time you call just say that and then hang up - I'll be happy for days.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

As the sadist said to the masochist, when asked to hurt her... "no"

• bebu
    bebu

My understanding is that this plot was uncovered during the planning phase, not just today on the brink of a plot execution.

bebu

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    My understanding is that this plot was uncovered during the planning phase, not just today on the brink of a plot execution.

bebu

I havent heard this bebu - perhaps you are right - but the press coverage indicates that the bombers were to board flights to the US today and detonate mid flight hence the chaos, panic and frenzy - but it could all be media hype generated by the governement and security forces for whatever reason - still to do it in the peak of tourist season here is not necessarily in anyone's best interests so it seems unlikely...

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

Hmmm probably a good idea to bring back internment.

Im a very liberal bloke but c,mon.......

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Now the news is saying they are British Nationals. Time will tell

Dismembered

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX
    LT said: Since you have the rail laid down, I couldn't help but wonder why more use wasn't made of it for longhaul passenger travel. Of course we have the reverse problem, where we could do with more of our freight being sent on rail, instead of having trucks clogging up our congested roadways.

Well... don't let the 'rails' that we have fool ya... they are old, and in need of major repair.

Riding AmTrak in tha past (to Chicago - which took over 36 hours), I can tell ya first hand that there is a lot of freight that goes by rail... and the freight has priority over the passenger trains that lumbers along at an average speed of 40 to 45 mph. There will be 'unscheduled stops' along the way... while we wait for the freight train to pass by. Can't slow down important stuff, ya know.

To be fair though, the East Coast has a few commuter trains that go between several of the cities - and they seem to be working out okay, I suppose.

The West Coast also has a few that run up and from California to Washington state.

If I were to go to Calfornia from Texas - by train - I would need to allow for 30 hours to get there. Now... that's AmTrak time - not 'normal' time, which translates into about 40 hours 'normal' time. (AmTrak is in their own 'time zone', which runs slower than the other time zones.)

The humorous thing is... if Amtrak gets waaaay behind schedule, they'll off-load passengers who have missed their connections, and 'bus' them to the nearest location where they can re-connect with the other train that had already left the station.

Regards,

Jim TX

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit