how many of you have armed themselves?

by buffalosrfree 83 Replies latest jw friends

• heathen
    heathen

I hear ya buddy. I think one thing we learned from Katrina is that there are people out there just waitning for any opportunity to hurt others even a disaster turns people into savages . If the decent people in NO would have hit walmart for the guns before the freaks did then things would have been much better for the innocent . I don't trust anyone especially the government , they are getting too power hungry and too used to being a bully . Power to the people ............

• JH
    JH

• katiekitten
    katiekitten
    If the decent people in NO would have hit walmart for the guns before the freaks did then things would have been much better for the innocent

Aint that the truth.

And thats the basic problem. Bad people are WAY more motivated to do bad things (the clue is in their title - Bad people!)

That leaves good people fannying around kidding themselves that they can take on the bad people by tooling up like a bad person. But the Good people dont have the attitude / drive / desperation of the bad people. Just their tools.

Im not saying I know the answer. But I am saying I think general gun ownership is a crap idea in the same way that lots of countries pointing nuclear weapons at each other to 'keep the peace' is a crap idea compared to NOT having nuclear weapons.

• justsomedude
    justsomedude

I certainly dont want to upset anyone over my views on this kind of thing, but here are the cliff notes of my thoughts on guns and the right to protect yourself.

Its a fact of life that criminals dont obey laws. The wouldnt be much of a criminal if they did. Right or wrong, good or bad, guns are available to them, in this country (the US) as well as others and taking guns out of the hands of the lawful citizens wont discourage crime. (See the peoples republic of kalifornia)

Honestly I dont know too much about the UK or Australia in terms of the attitude with regards to violent crime and the like, but I did know someone (online) who was a security guard in Australia and he was stabbed on three separate occasions during the course of 2 years. That tells me that there is a problem there of some sort (or this guy was just remarkably unlucky).

Personally I choose to level the playing field. In all the years I have carried, Ive never had to pull a gun and I hope that I never will. I practice regularly, obey all the laws regarding firearms and try to avoid any trouble whenever I can. This is a big responsibility though. If you choose to arm yourself, you need to do some deep soul searching and figure out if you could shoot someone if your life, or the life of someone else depended on it.

I secure the weapons that I wouldnt use in a self defense situation and keep a few out of safes that I either carry or have in the house. Those that are out, certainly arent sitting on the kitchen counter waiting to be taken by any robbers that might stop by. They are concealed, but easily accessible, meeting the anti-burgalar need. Those that are secured, arent locked in some mystical box. Its a gun safe and they sell them at home depot and its not that big of a commitment. They bolt to the floor and a would be thief would have a hell of a time getting into one, or getting away with it.

With regards to the comment that someone made earlier about the NRA having stories about folks defending themselves, you can find that at the link below.

http://www.nraila.org/ArmedCitizen/Default.aspx

• heathen
    heathen
    But I am saying I think general gun ownership is a crap idea in the same way that lots of countries pointing nuclear weapons at each other to 'keep the peace'

I agree MAD was a very bad idea but you are comparing apples and oranges . completely absurd . Perhaps you haven't heard that guns are illegal in britain but there are thousands of illegal guns in Britain . We live in a democracy in the US and the right to bear arms is protected by the constitution . It was put in there in case of tyranny the people could defend themselves mainly but people do like to hunt .It just makes me bewildered that a decent person would even compare themselves to a criminal .

• Twitch
    Twitch
    But I am saying I think general gun ownership is a crap idea in the same way that lots of countries pointing nuclear weapons at each other to 'keep the peace' is a crap idea compared to NOT having nuclear weapons.

Hmmmm, goin on a limb here.

IMO nuclear weapons are an extension of the right to bear arms, just on a national level. Perhaps the problem is nationialism, the large scale extension of the homeowner protecting what is his from interlopers and psychotics?

2001: A Space Odyssey

Isn't the ICBM just a bigger bone at the watering hole? Weapons as tools enabled us to hunt and provide for our kin. Sooner or later, some monkey was gonna figure out that it was necessary to protect what was his and not only from wild animals. And if only one side has a bone, wouldn't genocide/starvation be the order of the day for those that couldn't compete? Detente and deterrant have always been necessary for keeping the wolves at bay. Who said everything about human nature is good and without exception?

BTW, Kubrick was a freakin cinematic genius.

• anewme
    anewme

Up here in the mountains you gotta have a rifle or something. Ive killed a rat at far range. Im a good shot.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten
    Up here in the mountains you gotta have a rifle or something. Ive killed a rat at far range

I agree. I think hunting for food, or for necessity is a different issue.

(I think hunting for pleasure is a different issue again, and I wouldnt really be interested in being friends with a human being who took pleasure and enjoyment from the infliction of pain and the removal of life for no purpose)

I know there are guns in England, I just dont think making them legal and available from Asda (now owned by Walmart) will make England a safer place. It will just make it easier for the borderline criminals to become fully fledged ones.

• Auchmull
    Auchmull
    Cause theives usually bring plasma cutters with them.. If you have a serious gun safe, you should be OK.

Is that a joke?

• free2beme
    free2beme

I have had weapons for years and will continue to add on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit