R Rated Movies

by Swamboozled 40 Replies latest jw friends

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    Al Pacino in a starring role always means BAD MOVIE. DUHHHHH

Michael Corleone: Dan-o, you're my older brother, and I love you, but don't ever take sides with anyone against the family again. Ever.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Some jws (like my parentss) go out and see R rated movies all the time. My parents also rent and buy R rated movies and have done so for years. They even have the box set of the Godfather movies (and a few other R rated movies), which was kept in full view of everyone who came into the family room. As far as I know no one has ever said anything to my parents. Maybe the elders just don't care.

Josie

• poppers
    poppers

Dan-o? Never heard of him, except on Hawaii Five-O. How about Fredo?

• okie46
    okie46

The first R-Rated movie I saw was "9 and 1/2 weeks" with Kim Basinger and Mickey Rourke. Wow.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

My hubby and I never saw R rated movies or let the kids watch them. I recently joined netflix and almost all the movies I am checking out are R rated. The one I am waiting for to see is "The Night Listener" staring Robin Williams

It is based on a true story, I read the book and it is great. I will be seeing it soon. Lilly

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i was 30 yrs old before i saw a rated R movie

i thought, what is the big deal? i hear worse language from my super dub husband!

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

If I want to see it...I go see it, rent it or buy it.

Hmmmmm...I think the first r-rated movie I saw while still a JW was "Last of the Mohicans." My super righteous sister, who now shuns me, either bought it or rented it because she liked the lead dude. We pulled down the shades, checked the house for "bugs" or hidden video cameras and huddled down to watch. Oh we were so BAD. So I believe she is the one who started me on the road to corruption.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p
    Al Pacino in a starring role always means BAD MOVIE. DUHHHHH

For the sake of your credibility I hope your'e joking... but to each his own, i guess.

Back to the topic, when I first decided to not adhere to the Society's "suggestions" about R-rated movies, I went out and rented some movies I always wanted to see, the first of which I believe was Heat. To this day I absolutely love that movie. I always thought it was vastly underrated and did a good job of showing the world how good director Michael Mann is at creating a true piece of visual art. THen i think I bought the Godfather trilogy, to which I have owned ever since. I was never ashamed of owning it, even when I was fully "in," and never recieved any heat from it. Then, continuing my De Niro kick, I got Taxi Driver, which I studied frame-by-frame for years. Since then, I have probably seen The Godfather about 50 times, and many other masterpieces dozens of times, also studied pretty much frame-by-frame, as well.

I would have gone out of my mind being only limited to PG-13 movies with so many good R-rated movies to watch. I never really wanted to be involved in the movie-making business, but always had a passion for studying the art.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p
    Hmmmmm...I think the first r-rated movie I saw while still a JW was "Last of the Mohicans." My super righteous sister, who now shuns me, either bought it or rented it because she liked the lead dude.

The "lead dude" of which you speak of is Daniel Day-Lewis, one of the greatest modern-day actors. But Last of the Mohicans is certainyl not the best showcase of his skills, nor of Michael Mann's skills. Instead, to see Day-Lewis, watch My Left Foot, for which he won best actor, and maybe Gangs of New York. My personal favorite of his is The Unbearable Lightness of Being, based on Milan Kundera's novel.

• evita
    evita

The year that I became a witness everyone at my High School was talking about the Exorcist. I finally saw it about 15 years later.
    Before becoming a dub, I had enjoyed Woody Allen's movies. Also had seen Lady Sings the Blues and was looking forward to seeing Mahogany. I waited many years to catch up.
    The first R-rated movie I saw as a witness was Moment by Moment with John Travolta and Lily Tomlin. My best JW friend and I had a huge crush on Travolta so we snuck out to see it. When we got home she confessed to her elder dad and we were in much trouble. Her mom was furious with us and didn't speak to us for a while. The funny thing is that we were 19 years old! And her mom was a regular viewer of Benny Hill which I always thought was questionable for a JW.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit