Which flavor of "Christendom" did you think was most demonized? (when a JW)

by Wasanelder Once 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I used to feel it was the Catholic religion because of all its rituals. Then I felt it was the Latter Day Saints with all thier "Personal testimony" and "Prophet" doctrines. Finally, after reading about the Watchtower's history I've settled on the view that they are all equal.

How did you feel about it when you were a Witnoid?

W.Once

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Greek Orthodox followed closely by Roman Catholic

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I thought the Catholics were the worst too, mainly because of the constant criticism they got from the platform at my kh.

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass

... Hindu-ism...

• serendipity
    serendipity

Probably the "speaking in tongues" Pentecostals.

• glitter
    glitter

My dad was an atheist, but his local boozer was a "family social club" owned by a CofE church at the end of the road where I was Christened before mum became a dub. So we used to go there every Saturday night and Sunday lunchtime when I was a kid (when the meeting was in the afternoon at least, when it was in the morning dad used to put us on he bus and mum met us in town near the KH).

When the church service ended, the Vicar, his wife, and members of the congregation always used to stop by for a drink. I was quite suspicious and curious about what went on in the church and whether people from Christendom knew they were worshipping the devil.

In my imagination, once the service began, the doors would be bolted and the cross would swing upside down and they would pray to Satan instead of Jehovah!

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Catholic. I was then married in a Catholic Church, and my poor mom had to sit in front! (she showed up though!!)

• Arthur
    Arthur

I agree that the Catholic Church was the one that got ridiculed the most. The Evangelicals who are very patriotic, and support the Republican Party also got criticized quite a bit. I think that without a doubt, the Roman Catholic Church is definitely the Watchtower Society's favorite whipping boy.

• south african beef
    south african beef

Yes I thought it was the Catholics who were the worst. It didn't help that I have some relatives from the Protestant side of Belfast - one day we went to a KH in Belfast and my grandmother told me that the sister and her family sitting in the front row were Catholics - I think she meant WERE Catholics!

I still dislike them but I have attended a very moving Catholic funeral.

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

The consensus while I was in the borg was that all those who claimed to be "talking in tongues" were "demonised." I knew of many (including myself) who were terrified of anyone who attended a church group where this type event took place. The (polite!) collective term used to describe any such group was - I seem to remember - "charismatic." In our district, that included groups such as the Assembly of God, the New Life Centre, and the Church of Christ.

Anyway, as far as we were concerned, they were all definitely "demonised" - and therefore to be given a wide berth.

(My apologies to any here who may now attend such a church!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit