National Enquirer
    Star Magazine
    Weekly World News
    Entertainment Photos

ADVERTISEMENT
    All Weekly World News Stories

More from Weekly World News
    Subscribe to WWN

This week's Page 5 GirlWWN Web Guide JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES TO USE BULLHORNS ON PEOPLE THAT DON'T ANSWER THEIR DOORS
    Monday April 24, 2006

By DAVID TOLSEY

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- Weary from pounding the pavement for hours a day only to have homeowners shut the door in their faces or not answer it all, Jehovah's Witnesses will start toting bullhorns to ensure their message is heard. Kingdom Halls across the U.S. rejoiced at the directive issued by leading Witness elders last week.

"We look at the bullhorns as an emergency tool needed to spread the word of the Lord," said 18-year-old Ronald Plimpton. "Maybe the residents didn't hear the door knock because they were in the bathroom or working in the basement."

Several sociologists fear these extreme actions by the Jehovah's Witnesses may prompt other institutions and groups to resort to similar methods. "We may see the Britannica salesman or Avon lady utilizing a handheld microphone in the near future," says Dr. Clarence Simolt.

"I don't plan to use them," said door-to-door salesman Mickey Jones. "When you have something people want, there's no need for noise.

Jones sells earplugs.

Mail to Friend Email Story
    Printerable VersionPrintable Version

Yahoo! TV: Local Listings - Today's Picks - News & Gossip - TV Database - Soap Updates - more...
    Yahoo! Entertainment: Movies - Music - TV - Games - Astrology - more...
  • OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass

For Real?...

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

If that ever happens here me and my neighbors will be calling the cops - they come out quick here too.

Josie

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

I rather doubt that this is true; sounds like a spoof. In this day and age, it doesn't seem possible. However, that was not the case in the past. "Jehovah's Witnesses: Proclaimers of God's Kingdom," page 87 has a picture of a sound boat and a sound car (caption reads: "With a sound car on a hilltop, the Kingdom message could be heard miles away.") Also, there was preaching with phonographs. So, what seems to us silly and far-fetched today, was not so in the past.

• justsomedude
    justsomedude
    "I don't plan to use them," said door-to-door salesman Mickey Jones. "When you have something people want, there's no need for noise.

This part is waaaayy to urban legend. Its bunk I bet.

• Arthur
    Arthur

Hold on a minute. Is this for real, or is this a joke? I cannot believe that C.O.s would allow this to happen in their circuits. They would surely say that this strips the ministry of it's dignity. Are you sure that that article is real, and not a joke? It just doesn't sound right.

• Bstndance
    Bstndance

A few years ago, I was chillin in my apartment when I heard some commotion going on outside. It was someone on a bullhorn preaching in spanish at the street corner. Now the funny thing was, it's not a terribly busy intersection. There are two major intersection about 1/4 mile in each direction from there. After about 20 mins, I decided to call the non-emergency cops. It was getting really annoying.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

lol.. good work, somebody~! The last two lines are especially brilliant.

• parakeet
    parakeet

Good one! I wish they would start using bullhorns -- I can just see all the arrests for disturbing the peace. And the lawsuits when they scare some elderly person into a premature heart attack.
    If I remember my JW history correctly, JWs used "sound" cars in their early days, preaching through bullhorns as they drove through neighborhoods. And they weren't averse to putting their foot in the door to make sure their victims heard their sermons in their entirety.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I find it hard to take this article seriously, I think it must be a spoof, though I can think of a few jws around here who would be happy to use a bullhorn on the ministry.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit