What Things Did You Hate About Being A Jehovah's Witness?

by minimus 65 Replies latest jw friends

• montana96
    montana96

I hated being different from my friends as a teenager.

I loved xmas and birthdays and had to pretend I didnt

I loved being loud and having parties, but had to suppress that

Making up for it now though. Love finally being able to be yourself!

Cheers Mercedes x

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

District and Circuit conventions, Field Service, and Circuit Overseer's visit.

• mama1119
    mama1119

I hated growing up a witness and having tho "take a stand" while still in elementary school. I hated not being able to date who I wanted with out being harrassed, I hated not celebrating holidays. I hated how I started feeling so much burden of guilt and shame from such an ealy age. I hated judging wordly people, field service, going to dirty stinky houses for bookstudy, having bookstudy at our house. I hated that feeling of always being watched, being expected to tattle on your friends. I hated not being able to have a New Kids On the Block pin because it was "idolatry". I hated watching people abuse the hell out of their kids at meeting while everyone sat there watching approvingly. I hated gossipy women who made my Mom feel bad, I hate elders for what they did to my brother at age 13. I hated that I participated in allowing three guys who don't know me disfellowhip me and I hate that for two years I stupped so low as the BEG THEM for forgiveness......

Whew..that feels good!!!!!!!

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

This has been quite a thread, Minimus. Obviously a good opportunity for a lot of people to vent. Here's mine:

I hated the door to door work, from the time I was a child, even though I was a Pioneer for many years. I would get knots in my stomach when I was a kid during the meetings for field service, scared to death that I would have to call on kids I went to school with. No kid should have to deal with that. And I knew I was right the day I left a Bible study with a guy in prison, and pulled off to the side of the road, having come to the realization at that moment that the house-to-house preaching work was the worst possible way to spread a message from God. It was arrogant and created ill will in a thousand people for each person who was attracted to it. How could a loving God use such a hate-creating method??

I hated the whole concept of disfellowshipping and shunning.

I hated a system that allowed arrogant pricks to have authority - often unquestioned authority - over some really decent folks.

I hated hardline, hardassed elders who could use the WTS and the Bible to back up policies and ideas that I knew were total bullshit.

I hated that often the least qualified men - in terms of the Christ-like personality - rose to the top of the Witness hierarchy, while often the most Christ-like and loving people were at the bottom. It made no sense.

That having been said, I am now going to create a "What did you Love about being a Jehovah's Witness" thread!! Haha!!

S4

• yumbby
    yumbby

I hated being told that we had to "love" but to hate everyone that wasn't a witness. I saw so many good "worldly" people and I hated being told they were all bad.

• minimus
    minimus

Seeker, I agree with your vent. Realizing the truth about the "Truth" and then expecting to teach others what you KNOW is untrue-----is wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit