What Things Did You Hate About Being A Jehovah's Witness?

by minimus 65 Replies latest jw friends

• xjwms
    xjwms

Guilt

fault

blame

ya.....that about sums it up...................................

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Nylons-getting dressed up 3 nights a week in ugly dress up clothes. The ugly clothes almost all witnesses wore.

Not understanding common cultural references to holiday and other things that JWs did not involve themselves in.

That we didn't get to spend holidays with relatives like other people did. We got presents w/in a few days of Xmas so that wasn't the issue. Missed the tree.

The ungenerosity of the WT/JWs to others-even each other- the excuse for its lack of support for any good cause but WT stuff. I thought it was lame when I was six, and when I was out in service as an adolescent and there were old people with really high grass I wondered if a group of us should come back and take care of their yard for them and I was told that our community was better served by our door to door work. Sheez. We were 12, not good for much of anything but yard work at that age! No 'save the children' no march of dimes, blood drives, get out the vote. What a lame group.

No voting-false neutrality. Every JW is HOPING for the biggest war in history, and avidly looking for it to happen, discussing the events of the day and their opinion of them. NOT A BIT NEUTRAL, they show how much they hate our govt in every sentence. I totally disrespect anyone who complains about the govt or 'system of things' while refusing to become involved in the public discourse and process of making govt. work.

Thought control-my brain was fighting against the lack of logic and substance continually. Trying to deny what I knew was true, fighting against my instincts of right and wrong and injustice. Being so afraid of my 'independant thoughts'. Ugh. Sorry, you asked for a few thoughts, I wrote a book.

• riverofdeceit
    riverofdeceit

"studying" the watchtower.

doing the stupid bible reading in the "school"

Getting dressed up. Wearing ties. I don't own any ties anymore.

tuesday thursday nights, and saturday and sunday mornings. I still have the stigma of Tuesday and Thursday being crappy days of the week even though they aren't anymore.

Praying before a meal at a restaurant. Praying in front of non JW's and having to start out with "Jeeeeehovah God our heavenly father."

"Going out in service."

Trying to explain wtf is wrong with Birthdays. People must have really thought I was a retard.

Not being able to be friends with kids in school.

Not being able to play sports in school. Not knowing much about the relatives on my Non JW dad's side.

Not knowing what real friends were until I was older and it was harder to make friends.

Not being encouraged to go to college or pursue some sort of career.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

I hated being different and everything about being a JW was about being different. I have found this all my life to be a major problem just wanting to blend in, not stand out just blend......

• Taythan
    Taythan

The thing I hated most about it was the losing touch with old "worldly" friends who were then considered "bad association". I had no real reason to distance myself from these people. They were good people, that's why I had chosen them as friends in the first place. It was this reason also that would lead to my departure, I couldn't be so closed minded about people viewing them as bad associates just because they were not JW's.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

The divisions between families, the cliques within the congregations, the outright hatred of some folks toward us. I could list more but I would be here all night long.

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

They talk about us being imperfect humans, in need of Christ's ransom sacrifice, bla-bla, but never cut you any slack, as that imperfect person, if you make a mistake! They expect you to tow the line with all the silly rules. And everything is wrong, wrong, wrong. Seemed like they killed all the fun in life, the life God gave us to enjoy. Doom and gloom. Don't take part in this, don't share in that.

There were so many snotty ones at the Hall, real backstabbers, and you had to mingle with them anyway, put a smile on your face and chat before and after the meetings. If you were an elder's kid, you had to walk on eggshells to be an example and not make your Father look bad.

The awful clothes, and panty hose when it was hot, then freezing in the cold with bare legs, just no common sense in what we had to go around wearing in public.

The shame of being an honors student and the rest of your class knowing you couldn't go to college. Trying to finish homework in the parking lot late at night while waiting for the elder's meeting to finish,up after the service meeting.

Being badgered to comment at the Watchtower meeting. The mildewy, musty, damp odor in the Hall built next to a rusty creek Reading the daily text before breakfast on camping trips, and saying a prayer before meals ("shall we bow our heads in prayer?) Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• nsrn
    nsrn

Virgo and biker chics--we must have grown up in the same families--my thoughts exactly...

nancy

• AnonyMouse
    AnonyMouse

1) SUNDAY. I don't know why, but the watch tower just sent this bad vibe at me. Now I know why... 2) Service, you know why... 3) Being complemented after my talks. I havn't heard this one, but it always irritated me when everyone came up to me and said "You did good on your talk..." They never meant it, and it further irritated me that I was being complemented on something I hated doing. 4) Friends. Once I became homeschooled, I lost basically all my freinds. Everyone at my hall was either old, or a girl (an opposite to you folk, as every girl in our hall is EXTREMELY attractive). 5) Personal study. I hated wasting the hour and a half giving mom the answer she wanted. I eventually got past studying for the watchtower, since every single one is formatted in the exact manner, I just skim and underline. It takes 5 mins for the entire thing. 6) People talking to me. They want to know how thigns are going, and I just say "Fine." (or "good" if I'm feeling risky ;) ). Giving them the cold shoulder doesn't get the point to them. I know it's not nice to be mean to them, but I just want to be left alone when I'm in that 'place'.

• AnonyMouse
    AnonyMouse

Stupid format thing...:

1) SUNDAY. I don't know why, but the watch tower just sent this bad vibe at me. Now I know why...

2) Service, you know why...

3) Being complemented after my talks. I havn't heard this one, but it always irritated me when everyone came up to me and said "You did good on your talk..." They never meant it, and it further irritated me that I was being complemented on something I hated doing.

4) Friends. Once I became homeschooled, I lost basically all my freinds. Everyone at my hall was either old, or a girl (an opposite to you folk, as every girl in our hall is EXTREMELY attractive).

5) Personal study. I hated wasting the hour and a half giving mom the answer she wanted. I eventually got past studying for the watchtower, since every single one is formatted in the exact manner, I just skim and underline. It takes 5 mins for the entire thing.

6) People talking to me. They want to know how thigns are going, and I just say "Fine." (or "good" if I'm feeling risky ;) ). Giving them the cold shoulder doesn't get the point to them. I know it's not nice to be mean to them, but I just want to be left alone when I'm in that 'place'.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit