THE GOLLUM SYNDROME; Do YOU Suffer From it?

by ElderBarry 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ElderBarry
    ElderBarry

When I left the Rub A Dub Dubs, I was bitter, angry, disillusioned, and fearful of stepping out in faith again. I didnt want to get burned. I could have stayed that way. My therapist pointed out that I was only harming myself by holding on to the bitterness, anger, fear, and disillusionment.. I was only robbing myself AND GIVING THE GB THE FINAL VICTORY IN MY LIFE by holding on to all the junk!

I decided I didn't want to lay dying when my time comes and realize that the GB had had the last laugh, that they'd managed to ruin my life and control me all the way to my grave! That they had managed to control me so thoroughly even after I left that I had never stepped out and let go of the crap they had inflicted on me. I realized I was holding on to all that negative crap, actually treasuring it and inwardly protecting it, JUST LIKE GOLLUM HOLDS ONTO THE RING! That ring came to him from an evil source and it ruined him and he desperately wanted to be free of it and its horrible effects on him. Yet he clung to "precious" even as it devoured him and ruined his mind and body.

I chose to let go of the Ring Of Power that the GB had inflicted on me. I wouldnt let them turn me into a Gollum. I wouldn't let them sour me on life or God or any of the things I held dear before getting involved in Dubbery. Don't you be a Gollum and let the GB have thr last laugh on you either.

There is a Transcendent Source that loves us, and is Love. We all have different ways of approaching "God" and integrating "God" into our lives. Let God love you again. Our experiences as Dubs were so similar, as is what they did to us, what they inflicted on us. Let go of it and embrace That which we call God. I don't care if you call it Nirvana or Tao or Brahman or The Universe. Don't be a Gollum and let the GB have a horse laugh at your expense. They're evil old bastards. Okay, that's all.

Yours in Life and Love of Life and God,
    Lisa

• ringo5
    ringo5

Thanks anyway, but there's people out there that need love shown them in practical ways, far more than your imaginary friend does...

• ElderBarry
    ElderBarry

Dear Ringo5: Your judgmental nastiness is exactly what I'm talking about. You have the Gollum Syndrome but can't even see it. So many here seem to, judging by their posts. I don't show my love to God by beaming good vibes God's way. How silly. I show God's love in practical ways by doing practical things for real people. I care for a number of homeless people as well as other indigents around the country through my Church. I'm personally involved in a number of such activities. Ringo, what ways do YOU show this love of yours? Are you suddenly going to "go Bible" on me and refuse to sound your own trumpet? You threw down the gauntlet little mouse.

You don't know me, haven't read my posts in which I introduce myself (or even my very short profile that reveals much), or even discuss this intelligently with me. You just post your nasty Gollum post. Yes, I have feelings Ringo, and you hurt them. Your post revealed much. You don't have to continue to be so nasty and Gollum-like. God loves you. I'm not going to insult your intelligence by saying I love you, but I do desire the very best for you.

I'm a real person Ringo5. -Lisa (Puh-LEEZE read my prpfile before you start spouting any more negative rants and rehetoric.You will make yourslef appear much smarter that way by not sticking your foot in your mouth)

• daniel-p
    daniel-p
    Puh-LEEZE read my prpfile before you start spouting any more negative rants and rehetoric.You will make yourslef appear much smarter that way by not sticking your foot in your mouth

*daniel-p looks up elderberry's profile*

I'm a Leo and not shy about my feelings and thoughts. I'm an analytical and logical person and thats why I became a Jehovah's Witness. It's also why I left and became a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

*this is as far as he gets before he says "pfffffff" and logs off JWD for the night*

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Whatever a person wants to say about God, the fact is that the first half of your post, about letting go of the ring is right on. Holding on to pain, anger and ugly feelings gets us nowhere. But there is a process to being rid of it, purging it, and griping on the boards is a part of the process for some. Some will live on the boards for ages, but most of us will have our moments, our phases, get it out and move on to other things in our lives. I'm back on because of a renewed concern for my mom(who has decided to be an active JW again) and to keep up with the **** they are shoveling her these days. I admit I spent a LOT of time on this type of board several years ago. Hours responding to JWs etc, etc. I'm not red faced mad anymore, and NOT going to give them the victory of continuing to take over my life, time and my thoughts.

Whether it is a religious/spiritual healing or simply a healing is up to individuals. But hopefully, we will all find what we need and help others along the way afterwards.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Elder Barry - I liked your LOTR analogy and you are right I don;t want to lay on my death bed thinking of all the things I didn't do because I let my upbringing paralyse me. (I do a reasonable Gollum impression - then who doesn't!)

I don;t really understand why Ring O is quite so disparaging really - prolly thinks you are a troll or something. Or, maybe like me any mention of God makes us feel a bit sick.

As far as God and love go I find it simpler and more direct just to show love because I feel it - not surpress it because it isn't cool or whatever as does seem common amongst some. I don't need an imaginary spirit in the sky to guide me to do this, but those that do thats fine by me. I will take credit and blame for my actions either way.

• kid-A
    kid-A

Lets discuss the REAL motives underlying this post. You are pissed off because people have been pooping on your LDS mormon parade.

I will state this to you again, in the hopes you will get it. This is a discussion board for ex-cult members recovering from their experiences with a mind-controlling

and manipulative organization. I would conservatively estimate that at least 60% of the regular posters here are either atheist/agnostic or non-christian. You are more

than welcome to enjoy your new-found "religion". The fact is, I find a stunning number of similarities between LDS and the JWs, and I am certainly not alone in this opinion.

This is a FREE discussion board with diverse views and opinions. If someone wants to criticize the LDS, WTS, Roman Catholic, Islam, whatever, we have total freedom to do this.

Leaving a cult means LEAVING the CONFORMITY of "group think", and that is the entire point of this D.B. If you cant deal with alternative points of view, and you cant

cope with valid criticisms directed towards the mormons, you are more than free to leave the board and start posting on a MORMON discussion board, where I assure,

EVERYONE will agree with you, a situation very similar to "the kingdom hall".

Instead of making up some silly and convenient "category" (gollum, WTF? ) within which you can dismiss the opinions of those criticizing your sect, try offering some

rational arguments to support your defense of the LDS.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I dunno, you come off as kind of preachy. I don't think the athiests/agnostics on this board necessarily left God out of bitterness. Some of them came that way by careful study and consideration. I think the organizational oppressiveness of the WTBTS has soured many ex-JW's from ANY organized religion, ever, again. They are justified in their aversion, and I would not force that choice on any of them.

I remind you also,

This is a FREE discussion board with diverse views and opinions. If someone wants to criticize the LDS, WTS, Roman Catholic, Islam, whatever, we have total freedom to do this.
  • fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

ElderBarry,

Whilst I can see where you are coming from with your Gollum syndrome theory, I can assure you that the gb will not get the last laugh on me. I am free of their rule now, and every day get more free of the influence they had on my life. I have done that without feeling even the slightest need to cultivate a differrent relationship with God. I don't particularly believe in God anyway, and I find the idea of getting even a little involved with any other religion somewhat sickening.

If you feel the need to join another religion, good for you, but why the mormons? Like other posters, I see many similarities between them and the jws - their own bible translation, several man - made rules imposed on their followers etc. To me, they are just as much a cult as the jws.

• Scully
    Scully

ElderBarry:

Dear Ringo5: Your judgmental nastiness is exactly what I'm talking about. You have the Gollum Syndrome but can't even see it. So many here seem to, judging by their posts. I don't show my love to God by beaming good vibes God's way. How silly. I show God's love in practical ways by doing practical things for real people. I care for a number of homeless people as well as other indigents around the country through my Church. I'm personally involved in a number of such activities. Ringo, what ways do YOU show this love of yours? Are you suddenly going to "go Bible" on me and refuse to sound your own trumpet? You threw down the gauntlet little mouse.

You don't know me, haven't read my posts in which I introduce myself (or even my very short profile that reveals much), or even discuss this intelligently with me. You just post your nasty Gollum post. Yes, I have feelings Ringo, and you hurt them. Your post revealed much. You don't have to continue to be so nasty and Gollum-like. God loves you. I'm not going to insult your intelligence by saying I love you, but I do desire the very best for you.

I'm a real person Ringo5. -Lisa (Puh-LEEZE read my prpfile before you start spouting any more negative rants and rehetoric.You will make yourslef appear much smarter that way by not sticking your foot in your mouth)

It appears to me that you have come here with the intent of "judging" and subsequently attacking people whose opinions differ from yours. I have to tell you that your attitude will not fly here. We are all survivors of a cult experience, and we all have the same right to find our own way in life, whether you agree with how we choose to do so or not.

I can't think of one person who visits here with the desire to be preached at, judged or compared to a grotesque fictional character. I do know that all of us want to accepted for who we are, regardless of differing beliefs and opinions. To do anything other than that would be tantamount to returning to the Kingdom Hall.

Good day to you, madam.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit