THE GOLLUM SYNDROME; Do YOU Suffer From it?

by ElderBarry 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ElderBarry
    ElderBarry

jgnat, why strain out a gnat and swallow a camel? focus on the good stuff in my post. sheesh. did you just speed read until you found something to nitpick about? EEEEE BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

• jgnat
    jgnat

Gnats, camels also apply to your sweeping generalization of the athiests/agnostics on this board. Read a bit more, please.

• parakeet
    parakeet

Lisa:
    ***WHATEVER it is people that the GB stole from you, inside, I want you to RECLAIM it!***
    The WTS stole my freedom to think for myself. When I regained that freedom, I did some thinking and reclaimed what makes the most sense to me -- atheism.
    My decision was not a knee-jerk reaction against the JWs, nor was it infused with bitterness. I left the JWs almost 30 years ago. While I do have a visceral dislike of the JWs (any person capable of reasoning does), the bitterness faded away long ago.
    Please don't assume all atheists become so because of the JWs. Atheists have good and valid reasons for their position.
    And I really wish religious people would lay off the "god/jesus loves you" bit when what you mean is "I know in my deepest heart of hearts that there is a god and you should believe in him, you godless moron." Maybe you don't mean it that way, but that's the way it comes across. I'd rather you just slap my face -- it would be more honest.

• ElderBarry
    ElderBarry

Parekeet:

The WTS stole my freedom to think for myself. When I regained that freedom, I did some thinking and reclaimed what makes the most sense to me -- atheism.

(Good for you Parakeet! You think I have a problem with this? I don't. YOU apparently have a problem with ME or ANYONE who accepts the reality of God and doesn't cowtow to you atheists)

My decision was not a knee-jerk reaction against the JWs, nor was it infused with bitterness. I left the JWs almost 30 years ago. While I do have a visceral dislike of the JWs (any person capable of reasoning does), the bitterness faded away long ago.

(See, this is what gets me. Where did I say "Hey peeps! Parakeet is a knee-jerk atheist!" I haven't been out for thirty years "parakeet." My bitterness was rather more recent. YOU WERE bitter at one time, though you no longer are. So, why assume I was speaking to you? I have never even read any of ytoutr posts! There are THOUSANDS of people who post here! Methinks thou dost protest too much. Plus, I'm an outspoke THEIST and you want me to shut up and cowtow. Uh uh. Sorry. Nopesters)

Please don't assume all atheists become so because of the JWs. Atheists have good and valid reasons for their position.

(Please don't assume I assumed that all atheists become so because of the JWs or any other cult, okay? Because I didnt. You merely ASSUMED I did)

And I really wish religious people would lay off the "god/jesus loves you" bit when what you mean is "I know in my deepest heart of hearts that there is a god and you should believe in him, you godless moron." Maybe you don't mean it that way, but that's the way it comes across. I'd rather you just slap my face -- it would be more honest.

(I really wish all you atheist would lay off the "no God/Jesus is dead" too. You know, parakeet, not only are you all the things you accuse me of being..such as assumptive...you also can't read very well. NEITHER OF US KNOWS FOR SURE IF THERE REALLY IS A GOD OR NOT! Why don't you read my posts with understanding? I don't even define God as a Being! I leave that up to the experience of each person. Had you read my above post with understanding you would have realzied that, "parakeet." I get sick of strident, overnearing atheists who want to pummel theists into submission and silence. You know, people like you. Far from ass-uming you are a moron, I automatically assume---though I'm not always right---that an atheist is someone with a higher than average IQ and education. Someone such as myself. Why would I slap your face? I don't want to, and I sure don't see where you get that from my posts! YOU however apparenbtly want to slap MY face or you wouldnt have come up with such off-the-wall nastiness and accused ME of whats in YOUR mind "parakeet." If you had any objectivity at all you'd see how very Gollum-like you're being, right down to paranoically projecting all sorts of stuff onto me that you've experienced from fundiots. Sheesh. Iy sure would be nice if you Gollums---who are way past your Gollumishness---could actually read my posts with a little less emotion and projecting)

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    I don't care if you call it Nirvana or Tao or Brahman or The Universe.

How about "Kevin?"

Did it ever occur to anyone that this is in the form of WT or Awake! article title:

THE GOLLUM SYNDROME; Do YOU Suffer From it?

WTF?

"Judgmental and Self-Righteous: Are YOU?"

• ElderBarry
    ElderBarry

Hi BizzyBee! Did you bother to read beyond the initial post? No? SUPERFICIAL AND NONE-TOO-BRIGHT: Are you?

• ringo5
    ringo5

Dear Lisa: let me start off by saying I’m sorry your feelings were hurt, but let’s set the record straight on a few points.

You don't know me, haven't read my posts in which I introduce myself (or even my very short profile that reveals much), or even discuss this intelligently with me.

You asked me if I read your profile. No I hadn’t actually, but I had seen your other posts concerning your Mormon beliefs and your defense for them was that they were only mythological so you knew they weren’t necessarily based in fact, but you liked the way your life was going and that was good enough for you.
    So, since you nicely invited me to review your profile, it pretty much confirmed your other posts.

In your profile you mention that you recognize that religions supply a mythological framework. Seeing that the definition of mythologic is something “based on or told of in traditional stories lacking factual basis or historical validity” (see answers.com), I happen to agree with you. Which is why I’m surprised at your reaction to my post. Since God is a central piece of your mythological framework, why would you get upset when I say he is imaginary?

Either you don’t believe god is mythological, or you’d be upset if I said Zues was imaginary as well. It’s really a curious stance. Judging from the intensity of your emotional outburst ( which by the way, belies your claim of an analytical and logical person), it appears you feel God is real after all, and just perhaps you have started to believe the rest of the mythology as well.

Dear Ringo5: Your judgmental nastiness is exactly what I'm talking about. You have the Gollum Syndrome but can't even see it. So many here seem to, judging by their posts.

It’s funny you call me judgmental when 2 sentences later show your own judgmental attitude.

I don't show my love to God by beaming good vibes God's way. How silly. I show God's love in practical ways by doing practical things for real people. I care for a number of homeless people as well as other indigents around the country through my Church.

It’s all good, but wouldn’t it be more “practical” to cut out the mythological middleman, and much more meaningful for those people who are helped knowing that you did it for them, and them alone?

Ringo, what ways do YOU show this love of yours?

Just yesterday I gave my mailman a hug and a brownie.

Are you suddenly going to "go Bible" on me and refuse to sound your own trumpet?

Huh?

You threw down the gauntlet little mouse.

Please don’t disrespect the mouse.

You just post your nasty Gollum post.

I didn’t really mention anything about Gollum because I didn’t feel it was an apt analogy, but since you mention it again, the Ring really symbolizes power and it’s corrupting influence, pretty much the opposite of what most exjdubs experienced.

Your post revealed much. You don't have to continue to be so nasty and Gollum-like. God loves you. I'm not going to insult your intelligence by saying I love you, but I do desire the very best for you

It means a lot that your imaginary friend loves me so you don’t have to. Touching.

I'm a real person Ringo5.

I can see you’re a real person Lisa, so why do you believe in fairy tales?

-Lisa (Puh-LEEZE read my prpfile before you start spouting any more negative rants and rehetoric.You will make yourslef appear much smarter that way by not sticking your foot in your mouth)

You will appear much more Christian if you avoid the preachiness combined with insulting other people intelligence.

(please read some of Littletoe’s posts to get a better idea of that approach, you’ll have more success)

Cheers

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    Did you bother to read beyond the initial post? No? SUPERFICIAL AND NONE-TOO-BRIGHT: Are you?

Yup - read the whole enchilada. *yawn* Who T F was Gollum again?

Barry, I have no problem with your theism whatsoever. However, I do have a problem, as many here do, with being preached at - the foaming at the mouth is all but palpable. Of all people, ex-JWs have had a belly-ful of that and I, for one, am always surprised when some zealot tries to put on the WTS coat inside-out and lead the charge off a cliff. (Might be mixing some metaphors here, but you get my drift.)

As for the Mormons - I saw a documentary a few years ago that illustrated their beliefs and I had nightmares and cold sweats for months! True story.

Let people leave the JWs and find their own way - for some it is atheism, for some politics (or anti-politics), crocheting, lifting weights, whittling tiny figures out of wood - but, it is highly presumptuous to try to lead the way to another demented, controlling, asinine evil cult.

• ElderBarry
    ElderBarry

In your profile you mention that you recognize that religions supply a mythological framework. Seeing that the definition of mythologic is something “based on or told of in traditional stories lacking factual basis or historical validity” (see answers.com), I happen to agree with you. Which is why I’m surprised at your reaction to my post. Since God is a central piece of your mythological framework, why would you get upset when I say he is imaginary?

(My outburst was about your judgemental meaness. I dont care that you're an atheist. Sheesh. You were MEAN! I was trying to be nice and upbeat and helpful BOO HOO! *pfffftttttttttttttttttt* There, I blew my nose on yourt shirt and feel MUCH better! )

(Nope, I judge "righteous judgement" rather than externals such as you indulge in! *GAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKK!* There, I hacked up a loogie on your face. I feel MUCH better! Okasy Mouseman, pointy made and taken. However, in my own defense my judgementalness was only apparent, growing from too hasty a wording)

(How fun is that? I like the social life I have as a Mormon! They do funstuff! We have dances and parties and beach parties and we play sports and have big movie get-togethers and all kinds of stuff. I'm a social criiter Mouse-man. Not a hermit or a loner. So I go along with the myths. Besides, there are a number of people who feel exactly as I do: The LDS Church is a great church to belong to! *BLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHH* There I just threw up on you! I feel so much better now! )

(Aw, now THAT was genuinely sweet. Okay, I wont blow my nose on you n stuff. )

(You know, "Dont trumpet your good deeds as the Pharisees do.")

("Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I love to eat, bit they little heads off, nibble on they little feet!" Look, Brain, all of you are takinf this WAAAY to seriously. You're very intense, like the fundies. Anyone who is fervently commited to an "ism" is waaaay too intense. I dunno for shur if theres a God. I could very well be fullofit. So, I try to have fun and help people but MY GAWD this has been so INTENSE! )

(Sure. See? Kiss. I like Mousies, especially brainy mousies! Canb we be friends and have fun and stuff?)

(Mister Mousie! Would you really rather I blew smoke your way and said "I love you"? No you wouldnt. I'm being honest. I do have agape for you, which is compasson or wanting the best for you. Do you love me Brain? Do you? If you sday "no!" it will )

(I don't believe in 'em Ringo Bingo Bongo Boo, I can read so why can't YOU? )

(Yeah yeah yeah. You tell me I'm proscribing your behavior and then you proscribe mine. I don't CARE about "appearing Christian." That sounds sooooo fake and fundy and religious. I do care about my fellow former Jay Dubs, thats why I'm here!)

(Thaz okay Mouse-man. I made it REAL obvious in my profile and posts that I'm not a "Christian" at heart, so why would I put myself on that leash? especially since people like you are only WAY TOO HAPPY to tell me whats expected of me if I DO put on that leash? I'm not really a "true believer" at all. I have a personal experience of what I choose to call "God", just as you have a personal non-experience. I can DIG yo atheism man. It's a lot mo honest than some weirdo fundy stuff, you know? I'l bet that beneath that mousy exterior beats a heart of....lead. Jeez, lighten up. Cant you read between the lines here? Heck, just read the lines!)

• ElderBarry
    ElderBarry

As for the Mormons - I saw a documentary a few years ago that illustrated their beliefs and I had nightmares and cold sweats for months! True story.

Let people leave the JWs and find their own way - for some it is atheism, for some politics (or anti-politics), crocheting, lifting weights, whittling tiny figures out of wood - but, it is highly presumptuous to try to lead the way to another demented, controlling, asinine evil cult.

Oh dont bee so silly bizy bee! You didnt have cold sweats and nightmares. Mormonism is no kookier than any other religion. I had a minor in Religion so I know a teensy bit about 'em. As for the second statment, right arm! Farm out! Outta state! Gravy! I agree. It is sooooo GOOD when ANYONE who was a GB victim RECLAIMS whom they are and what they were ante-WTS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit