The meaning of the word "version"

by elatwra 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• elatwra
    elatwra

Hello. I have a question. I was recently talking to some JW acquaintances and was told that the King james Version, NIV all the other translations I was mentioning are just "versions " of the bible whereas the NWT is a translation. I was stunned and could not come back with an inteligent and scholarly reply(well aint that the pot calling the kettle black did not sound neither inteligent nor scholarly). Can somebody help me? Thank you

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

Did you already have the lastest version?

Holy bible version 5.1

see for changes the bug fix list

bug fix list: - polytheism is not good. Where there is polytheism, it now reads one God. (notice the new caption for God)
    - human sacrifice is no longer viewed as a devine action. It is removed or replaces by animal sacrifice
    - some books excluded, because no one believed them anyway - many minor changes

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I would have said "Prove it" It sounds like a statement that they heard from some other jw or from one of the watchtower glad rags and they were just repeating it.

Josie

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

ver·sion (vûr'zh?n, -sh?n) pronunciation
    n.

1. A description or account from one point of view, especially as opposed to another: Your version of the accident differs from mine.
      1. A translation from another language.
      2. often Version A translation of the entire Bible or a part of it.
    2. A particular form or variation of an earlier or original type: downloaded the latest version of the software from the Internet.
    3. trans·la·tion (trans-la'sh?n, tranz-) pronunciation
      n.

1. The act or process of translating, especially from one language into another.
        2. The state of being translated.
      1. A translated version of a text.
      2. It means the same thing. They don't know what they're saying. Just repeating what they have heard.

Josie

4. plmkrzy
      plmkrzy
      whereas the NWT is a translation.

They probably believe this because as we all know it IS the closest most accurate translation of the bible known. I've heard the same type of comment over the years. edited to insert rolling eyes

5. fullofdoubtnow
      fullofdoubtnow

Hi elatwra, and welcome to the forum

the King james Version, NIV all the other translations I was mentioning are just "versions " of the bible whereas the NWT is a translation.

Whoever made that comment is straining the gnat somewhat. All bibles are translations from the Hebrew, Aramaiac and Greek languages. If anyone had made that comment to me I would have concluded that they either have a very limited understanding of the English language or are just plain stupid.

6. Ade
      Ade

you should really just enquire of them which of the so called versions they have fully read so as to make such a remark!! Then ask them to sit down with their own interlinear translation and explain why their bible has so many obvious errors in it ( its obviously to assist with their doctrine ).also why the original aramaic/greek text in the left column of their own interlinear bible bears no resemblance to the english in the right hand column of the same bible. Also ask them if its the case that the King james versions etc are so bad . Why the WTBTS bought the Emphatic Diaglott ( now the interlinear ) from the vatican ?? - what were they doing reading Vatican manuscripts in the first place . surely that is using Babylon the great literature in their eyes. Then you could question them as to how brother Knorr could translate a bible with no formal training in languages?? Some of the errors include ; John 1:1 in (the) beginning was the Word, and the Word was - God, and God was the Word. In the original text the subject has the article and the predicate has it not; hence translate "The Word was God" Their translation "And in the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God, and the word was A god" Also ask them to make true sense with you concerning Reveation/Apocalypse 1:7 - 8 . where they have added the phrase " I AM the alpha and the omega says JEHOVAH GOD" however verse 7 is most definately speaking of Jesus Christ . this verse in their own Diaglott/Interlinear is translated "I AM the alpha and the Omega saith the Lord God, Which is, and which was, and which is to come, The Almighty" They have changed their bible to doctrinate unsuspecting peoples. Then read Revelation 22:18 "If anyone shall taketh the words from this prophecy, then God shall taketh he from the scroll of life". to Add your own wording is to take away the authors thougts from the prophecy. so therefore ask them if they can expect to be in the book of life ??? there are many more errors and deviances in their "version" of the scriptures hope this helps a little God bless you and yours -Ade

7. Confession
      Confession

This one cracks me up. My theory: these JWs have simply noticed that the King James bible is often referenced as the "Authorized Version," while their Watchtower bible says "New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures" on the front.

Their uninformed confidence that their bible is the "most correct" may have led to an (also) uninformed belief that there is some difference between these two words as it relates to the bible. Instead of getting into errors with them, perhaps just trying to reason on this...

-How did the WTS arrive at the text in their bible?

-How did other bible translators arrive at the text in their bibles?

Even the WTS itself would not attempt to suggest such a difference between these two words.

8. Ingenuous
      Ingenuous
      I was stunned and could not come back with an inteligent and scholarly reply

That's not surprising, considering the statement doesn't make any sense. You might have to start from scratch and fall back on the response you can always rely on when someone stymies you: "What do you mean by that?" Then again, the Org "talks" so much, they can usually be used against themselves:

*** it-2 p. 1151 Versions *** An account of versions, or translations, of the Scriptures will engender gratitude to Jehovah God for the wonderful way in which he has preserved his Word for the benefit of mankind’s millions.
    9. Honesty
      Honesty

Y'all might as well face up to the facts.

And the facts are.....

God had almost 2,000 years to get the Bible right but He couldn't.

In 1950, His "Voice" on earth came to the rescue and are now producing millions upon millions of correct translations to spread to the world.

Of course, you can just skip the Bible and read the Watchtower because you'll be on the path to Light and be delivered out of Darkness.

Just make sure you don't go back into Darkness by reading the Bible alone or in small groups.

Also, make sure you stay away from old Watchtower magazines because they are Old Light and it might be a bit Dark there, too.

10. Share this

Google+
      Pinterest
      Reddit