What would be the Ideal Church for you?

by AK - Jeff 35 Replies latest jw experiences

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I doubt there is one for me. I haven't been even slightly tempted to look at any other religion since leaving the jws, and at the moment I doubt I will bother. I just don't feel the need for spirituality just now.

• talley
    talley

The Universal Church Triumphant of the Apathetic Agnostic

1. The existence of a Supreme Being is unknown and unknowable.

To believe in the existence of a god is an act of faith. To believe in the nonexistence of a god is likewise an act of faith. There is no evidence that there is a Supreme Being nor is there evidence there is not a Supreme Being. Faith is not knowledge. We can only state with assurance that we do not know.

2. If there is a Supreme Being, then that being appears to act as if apathetic to events in our universe.

All events in our Universe, including its creation, can be explained with or without the existence of a Supreme Being. Thus, if there is indeed a God, then that god has had no more impact than no god at all. To all appearances, any purported Supreme Being is indifferent to our Universe and to its inhabitants.

3. We are apathetic to the existence or nonexistence of a Supreme Being.

If there is a God, and that God does not appear to care, then there is no reason to concern ourselves with whether or not a Supreme Being exists, nor should we have any interest in satisfying the purported needs of that Supreme Being.

If these Articles match your beliefs, then you are already an Apathetic Agnostic! However, if you prefer a more formal relationship or wish to become an ordained minister, please visit our home site.
    The Universal Church Triumphant of the Apathetic Agnostic

may we humbly suggest the following, written by Roger Zelazny:

Insofar as I may be heard by anything, which may or may not care what I say, I ask, if it matters, that you be forgiven for anything you may have done or failed to do which requires forgiveness. Conversely, if not forgiveness but something else may be required to insure any possible benefit for which you may be eligible after the destruction of your body, I ask that this, whatever it may be, be granted or withheld, as the case may be, in such a manner as to insure your receiving said benefit. I ask this in my capacity as your elected intermediary between yourself and that which may not be yourself, but which may have an interest in the matter of your receiving as much as it is possible for you to receive of this thing, and which may in some way be influenced by this ceremony. Amen.

• acadian
    acadian

For me, their isn't one. I'm my own church.

WHAT IS A CHURCH? The Christian Church is not a building, but is the flesh and blood men and women, who make up the body of Jesus the Christ, proclaiming and teaching the gospel of Christ, as it is written; "he is the head of the body, (the Church), who is the beginning, the first born from the dead", Col 1:18, and, "you are the body of Christ, and members in particular (individually)", 1 Cor. 12: 27, and "for His body’s sake, which is the Church", Col 1:24, and since, He "hath put all things under his feet, and gave Him to be Head over all things to the Church, which is His body, the fullness of Him who fullness all in all", Eph 1:22-23. 1 Cor. 3:16-17 identifies our bodies as a "temple of God". A temple is a place where we worship our God. "Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are." [1 Cor. 3:16-17, Bible, NKJV] Oh, and don't forget the Christian Church can meet in many places and is not restricted to any building or Physical place, as it is written; "For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them", Mathew 18:20. Good enough for me...

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

Since I love worship, adore music, the worship service means so much to me. Any church I go to the Pastor MUST be educated in theology, self taught is ok as long there are no deviations. Deviations create cults. Calvary Chapels so far have been very consistent for me. But there are many other local churches that have much to offer.

Most churches have different services you can chose from, large and small groups, home or in a building. Once a church I went to did not have a building, we were on Maui and met on the beach. It was pretty cool. We watched sea turtles, whales and paragliders during service.

Charity and community outreach are a must. My church is an extended family. Those small home groups are wonderful. I have met many who go to them. We had one once in our home and it was the best. We used an outline DVD from Sadleback church, "The Purpose Driven Life" series for home use. It did not tell the group what to think, but had great music videos to sing with and outlined questions to get the group to open up and bond.

Any church should feel like an extended family, not a religious group

• apfergus
    apfergus

Being atheist, I'm probably not the best person to answer the question, but what I want (and have, more or less) is probably more of a salon than a church. I meet with people and simply discuss some aspect of philosophy and before long everyone is playing the devil's advocate to everyone else and what we're actually discussing might be only tangentially related to the original topic. It's quite fascinating.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day acadian,

This sounds good but not strictly scriptural:

e.g.:

Oh, and don't forget the Christian Church can meet in many places and is not restricted to any building or Physical place, as it is written; "For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them", Mathew 18:20.

Read in context, you will see that these words of Jesus don't refer to a gathering of believrs for worship but for prayer.

Although you've quoted a number of texts, they don't actually speak of "church" which is found only in Matthew 18:17 and 16:18.

Cheers, ozzie

• parakeet
    parakeet

The church of parakeet.

• anewme
    anewme

I would like to find a church with XLNT MUSIC!!!!
    I like the rockin black gospel singing
    I like Gregorian chanting
    I like meditation ethereal music

So I guess a church with a mix.

I'd like a church that didnt tell you what to believe, just provided a spiritual atmosphere for you to love your neighbor and your God and get together and celebrate life together.

Yeah, that would be my ideal church. I definitely would look forward to going every Sunday!

Anewme, alone in the hills until she finds a church like that.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

anewme,

I'd like a church that didnt tell you what to believe, just provided a spiritual atmosphere for you to love your neighbor and your God and get together and celebrate life together.

United Church of Christ, Unitarian Universalist Church (even theism is optional) or Unity Church - though the one near my house sucks, musically.

gently feral

• jgnat
    jgnat

Anewme, me too! When I was in New York I signed myself up for a tour of Harlem just so I could sit in a bona-fide gospel worship service. I got my wish, and it was rockin'! How OLD everything in New York got to me, too. This black gospel church leased their facility from the local Jews. The decoration took be back a bit at first. There were lions and lambs marching around the perimeter. Not usual Protestant decorations at all. Girl, you and me are going church shopping one day!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit