What would be the Ideal Church for you?

by AK - Jeff 35 Replies latest jw experiences

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

nature is my church

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Beautiful answers to that question - thanx all.

I love the spirituality that exudes in the place of religiousity. Any others?

Jeff

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

Well, having seen the 'Reverend Alecia' thread and video, I think I could really go for the big fat momma doing Holy Spirit-inspired swivelling on her office chair.

Of course, I'm not sure what the finer points of her doctrine are ...

• blondie
    blondie

I looked when I left..........still not associated with anything.

I would like to just get together in a small group (no conductor) and discuss the Bible without any group's literature, using several Bible commentaries.

I always preferred the "book study arrangement" for that reason, small, informal. (Of course a nimnode conductor and a WT book spoiled it).

"Administration" raises its ugly head when things get too large.

Blondie

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Good Morning Blondie -

I would like to just get together in a small group (no conductor) and discuss the Bible without any group's literature, using several Bible commentaries.

I like this idea too - I have long thought of setting up a simple Bible discussion group at the local coffee shop. Call it 'Church for the unchurched' or something. I'm afraid it would be a long drive for ya' down here each week though. LOL

Jeff

• jgnat
    jgnat

What you describe sounds very much like a house church, Blondie. http://housechurch.org/

I met a fella who runs one around here. They are "strictly the bible" kind of folks, and have discussions very much as you describe. I imagine there would be a lot of variation between house churches.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Effervescent, we go the same kind of church. Ain't it cool?

Josie

• blondie
    blondie

jgnat, the idea of a group "run" by anyone is a turnoff too. In the early days of the Bible Students, they studied in small groups using several commentaries. But eventually, the Studies in the Scriptures (Millenial Dawn--Dawn Bible Circles) took the place of this. Of course, too much attention was given to the purported writer of those books (Charles Taze Russell).

Blondie

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Since the real meaning of church is not an organisation, nor a building, but a gathering of people, I'd have to say it's the one that i fellowship with - and in case you're wondering, "Turn right at Bethel"

• blondie
    blondie

But the point is "small" group of people. In my mind small is not 50 people; nor am I think of 2-25 person groups who are coordinated though an organized religion.

Nondenominational

Small (25 or less)

No leader/conductor/moderator/etc.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit