What would be the Ideal Church for you?

by AK - Jeff 35 Replies latest jw experiences

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I mean - what kind of doctrine would they teach - what sort of social programs would they support - how big? How small?

Preacherman or Preacherwoman?

Radical? Conservative? Middle road? Main stream?

I know many here have rejected the whole idea - but even many athiest attend church [for different reasons than believers I assume].

If you ever chose to return to a church - describe it.............

Jeff

• Hamboozled
    Hamboozled

This is a really good question. It is to soon for me to answer this because I just left the org, but I can't wait to see what some other folks post.

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

I'm actually lucky enough to be currently attending my "ideal Church". It look a lot of looking and searching, but I found it not too far from where I live.

There are a few things that I looked for.

The foremost was children's programs. My kids LOVE going to a good Sunday school. It makes me laugh at how they BEG to go back the next week. So different from how I was raised.

Second was community and charitable involvement. The Church can be one of the most powerful social charity organizations around. I am so proud to be a part of a Church that gives it's time, money, support and effort into causes not only local but worldwide.

And then also important to me, as someone still discovering their belief system, was roundtable bible studies. Where you aren't being preached at or expected to regurgitate information from a book, but actual bible discussions with different perspectives encouraged and discussed.

That's a few of the major things I look for... on top of a general feeling of warmth and welcome. That probably even tops my list!

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

I find the ocean cost, mountains, or just being here on the little farm, works quite fine. There is nothing a minister or building can give me.

j

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

One with a really cute bartender, and great rock and roll.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Unfortunately I'm not sure it exists – not here in California, anyway.

Well, let's see:

gently feral
  • jgnat
    jgnat

I would go to:

http://ship-of-fools.com/Mystery/index.html

And pick a top Mystery Worshipper winner. Here are some of the criteria they use, with my own preferences added:

How full was the building?
    Did anyone welcome you personally?

Was your pew comfortable?

How would you describe the pre-service atmosphere?

What musical instruments were played?I like a full band, including drums and electric guitars. I am kind of sick of flutes and organs, though. And artificial vabrato on the mikes.

Did anything distract you?Was the worship stiff-upper-lip, happy clappy, or what?I'm a clappy happy.Exactly how long was the sermon?I like a good half-hour.On a scale of 1-10, how good was the preacher?

The quality of the preacher is very important to me. I want to see a compassionate preacher who relates to his audience, speaks to where we are living, and isn't afraid to challenge our preconceptions.

Which part of the service was like being in heaven?And which part was like being in... er... the other place?What happened when you hung around after the service looking lost?Hopefully no-one will ask if I'm "saved" yet. A warm handshake and "what brought you here?" is plenty.

How would you describe the after-service coffee?If they remember the TEA drinkers and the DIABETICS, I'm estactic.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Any church that allows individual interpretation on non-essential doctrines. One that elevates LOVE as the most important thing over HEAD KNOWLEDGE. One that does not judge anyone for any reason because they recognize that no one in this world is perfect and everyone is entitled to a bad day once in a while. Lilly

• Carmel
    Carmel

Core beliefs:

Monotheistic

Accepts all religions a one

Blends both democratic and representative forms of governance

Allows no prejudice, whether racial, class, sex, country of origin, etc.

Places high value on education, especially the sciences and arts

Does not align with any partisan faction or economic system

Advocates the teaching of an auxillary language common to all

Advocates a common currency

Invites questions, academic persuits

Emphasizes Justice and equity on both personal and collective arenasb

Has no need for clergy

Focuses on the collective salvation of all humanity, not just individual salvation

Honors work that is useful, elevates it to the level of worship if done in service to humanity

Respects the sacred in other's culture

carmel

• Arthur
    Arthur
    One that elevates LOVE as the most important thing over HEAD KNOWLEDGE. One that does not judge anyone for any reason because they recognize that no one in this world is perfect and everyone is entitled to a bad day once in a while. Lilly

Lilly, you put that beautifully. That too (putting love above head knowledge) was something I've always longed for.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit