Music you chucked out when you were a JW.

by lowden 37 Replies latest social entertainment

• Lo-ru-hamah
    Lo-ru-hamah

I never bought much music but I loved Enigma and was told it was bad because it was a bunch of monks singing about sex and drugs. I threw it out. Recently though, we bought it again. I love that CD.

Loruhamah

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

The cult brainwashing did far more damage in my life than any so called "demonized music". It breaks my heart to think of all the music I threw out. Tons of Zepplin, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, and Styx records. And another ton of obscure stuff I just can't find anymore, so a lot of it is irreplacable.

W

• damselfly
    damselfly

I never willing got rid of any of it. My parents would search my room and toss what were they didn't like, I lost music, books, magazines,clothes etc.

I just got better at hiding it.

Dams

• crankytoe
    crankytoe

My mom burned all my JRR Tolkein books in the fireplace,

I WAS FURIOUS!

........I'M STILL FREAKING FURIOUS!

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I didn't throw anything out. I hadn't got much anyway, apart from all Carole King's albums and a few others, and my parents weren't jws abyway. I never discussed what albums I had with my study conductor anyway.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I NEVER!

But my mom made my son throw out my Wallflowers cd when he stayed with her one summer.

• M.J.
    M.J.

well, don't know if it makes any of you guys feel better but my mom was not a dub but a conservative evangelical type and heavy metal was definitely out of the question. I myself was appalled by all the demonic concert t-shirts the kids were wearing at the time. Popular music in general was "of the world" in our home and pretty much looked down upon. So I'd pretty much be listening to oldies from the 50s and 60s! (except, of course, for that eeevil tune "Wake up, Little Susie"..ooooooh).

• lowden
    lowden

Superb posts you people!!

LMAO at Dismembered and DB74 (What was hidden in the drawer DB?)

Thing is, the paranoia that this cult raised in us would have made us throw anything out. Craaaazzeeeee!

Listening to RUSH (Raised Under Satans Hand is it?) has never made me wanna nail cats to peoples doors or drink virgins blood. Funny that!?!!

I'm a musician, i neeeeeed my music. The odd bit may make me feel a bit melancholy but i turn it off when i realise it's having that effect.

We're freeee people and it's a darn good feeling.....now...where's that Black Sabbath album?

Lowden

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Wow, what memories with this post. Also saw that "unofficial" letter from Bethel - that brother could findd something wrong with ANY music.!
    I only remember getting rid of two albums (yep, albums, that far back!) Jimi Hendrix' Electric Ladyland (had Voodoo Chile on there} and Fleetwood Macs monster album which was "dedicated to all witches everywhere."
    Such paranoia and idiocy.
    S4

• Fleshybirdfodder
    Fleshybirdfodder

I also came home and half my cassette collection was missing... all the good stuff. Thanks ma! From then on I hid them in the closet in the inside pockets of my suit jackets.

FBF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit