Music you chucked out when you were a JW.

by lowden 37 Replies latest social entertainment

• lowden
    lowden

It made me think, reading comments on Carpenters thread......

What music did you throw out when you were a Witness??

I got rid of all my Led Zeppelin (satanic backtracking and all that baloney)

All my Deep Purple

All the Black Sabbath (speaks for itself)

Somebody even told me Rush were satanic (out they went too)

Anything remotely connected to punk/new wave (too rebellious)

Believe me it was ALOT of albums/vinyl

I have since replaced most, except the Sabbs.

Happily i also listen to a much more diverse range of music too.

Man..... the things we did........

Peace

Lowden

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I didn't throw out any music, but when my parents found my Rod Stewart "do you think I'm sexy album" Out it went.

lisa

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

I think I only did destroy one album (abeit twice) and that was GnR's appetite for destruction album....the rest of my collection such as Iron Maiden, Sabbath, Ozzy and Metallica I hid.

Speaking of the crazy things we did, my mother made me destroy it in spectacular fashion too...with a hammer??? WTF

Perhaps she thought it would destroy the demunz!

If only she knew about the demunz hidden under the drawer in the cabinet

DB74

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    I didn't throw out any music, but when my parents found my Rod Stewart "do you think I'm sexy album" Out it went.

They could be forgiven for that...hehe

DB74

• Dave_T
    Dave_T

I've never thrown away any of my records but some disappeared and never were found again.

• mariposa
    mariposa

Oh yeah...after my glam phase and right before I joined the witnesses I was so into Rage against the Machine. I went through all my music thinking it was the right thing to do. Geesh..what was I thinking???

Rage was gone..too many explicatives

Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeath...those devilish bands

Man, I can't remember all the ones I tossed..I remember tossing books, my tarot cards, jewelery..etc. etc...

I think I may have to go get that Rage CD again ....don't remeber the name of the disc but it had the "Killing in the name of" song on it....every single song was good!

• undercover
    undercover

I was a teenager back during the big backward masking panic of the seventies. But that alone didn't warrant the stamp of disapproval. Drugs, sex, hell, long hair was enough to have parents and elders be prejudices against certain music and bands.

Albums that I disposed of (that I remember anyway):

Led Zeppelin (supposed backward masking...and Stairway was supposedly written with demon help)

KISS (K.inghts I.n S.atan's S.ervice need I say more?)

The Stones (Her Satanic Majesty Requests..I didn't own that album, but when my parents saw that one existed, all others fell under the sword)

The Eagles (Just Hotel California...the picture of the character over the balcony was rumored to be a Satan worshipper and the song HC was demonic)

Fleetwood Mac (my parents saw the crystal ball on the album covers and out they went)

Queen (backward masking again...and they were gay)

Rush (R.aised U.nder S.atan's H.ouse...and some of the albums had pentagrams on them)

Music that I was counseled to get rid of, but somehow rationalized that they didn't need throwing away:

The Beatles (drugs, sex, they were the leaders of the downfall of youth and they played the sitar for God's sake )

James Taylor (he spent time in a mental instituition...he's probably demon influenced. Again)

Cream (too psychedelic...and just look at them...disgraceful. And yet again)

Hendrix (drugs, and you call that guitar playing? that's just noise...disgusting. One last time)

I too replaced most of the ones I threw away...and most it was I while I was still a JW. I got older and realized that it was a stupid witch hunt to begin with.

But the older I get, the more diverse my music selections gets. I'm all over the place now...and I've gotten to where I prefer live music over anything. I go to local clubs to find new music and I download live shows off the Internet and listen to them.

• mariposa
    mariposa

I just saw that you threw out your Rush too.

I auctually thought they were safe..kept all of those guys. I did toss the one Eagles tape I had

• daystar
    daystar

Wow. I'm surprised how sad I got reading this thread.

Luckily, I never threw out any of my albums. But I didn't really start buying music until I was in my teens, and since I left when I was 18...

The first 45 (vinyl for you kids) I bought was "Baby Come Back" by Player. Then I had Steve Martin's "King Tut". The first tape was Duran Duran's "Arena" album".

A few years after that, I started skateboarding and started listening to Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Led Zep, Black Sabbath, Sex Pistols, Circle Jerks, Dead Milkmen, Dead Kennedys. I had almost every Iron Maiden album up until the "Can I Play With Madness" album on vinyl. Sadly, the Iron Maiden have all been misplaced. Oddly, I also obsessed on The Police and once he went solo, Sting (well, I still obsess a bit).

I moved on to bands like Slayer and Napalm Death, Christian Death, Fields of the Nephilim, Celtic Frost... and later softened up quite nicely. Dead Can Dance, Enya, Sunyata, etc., folk-ish like Elliott Smith, Bright Eyes, Neverending White Lights, and really discovered classics like Dylan (which I suppose opened me to folk). I also discovered the joy of real country music (no Shania, etc. for me) and bluegrass.

So, anyway, sorry to shift a bit. No, never got rid of any of my music. I'm so glad I never did since it's all such a part of who I am.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I still sometimes get upset when I think of what I tossed. King Crimson, PInk Floyd, The Doors, Cream, Black Sabbath, The Who, it was HUGE. I've replaced some, but not all of it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit