Just because we fooled you shouldn't stop you from fooling your kids!

by slimboyfat 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Parents are naturally concerned that their children not make the same mistakes they did. The Society seem to be worried about the power of this impulse to protect one's children. Page 161 of the new book Live with Jehovah's Day in Mind reads:

A dampening of our expectation of Jehovah's great day could reveal itself in the advice we give to our children or to others. A Christian could reason within himself: 'I chose to forgo educational or career possibilities because I felt that the end was very close. Now I want to be sure that my children get the training that will allow them to have a comfortable life.' Perhaps some in Hosea's day had similar thoughts. If so, would their giving parental advice that centred on a "satisfied" lifestyle have been in their best interests? And if children back then had in fact pursued a "satisfied," or comfortable, way of life, what would their situation have been in 740 B.C.E., when Samaria fell to the Assyrians? - Hosea 13:16; Zephaniah 1:11, 13.

I wonder if even loyal Witnesses will not be a little peeved by this statement...

Slim

• Confession
    Confession

Can't help but wonder the same thing, slimboy. At some point most all JWs will finally begin to question. But just what is that point? The big stuff doesn't seem to work for many of them. (UN-NGO, pedophilia, changing blood policies, etc.) So maybe it'll be stuff like this that bothers them on a personal level. If it can just slip in to that part of their brain that still may be working, perhaps they'll give themselves permission to take an unbiased look at the WTS.

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

I'm surprised they even *mention* it. Their standard operating procedure is to deny stuff like that (ie-"We never told you that") rather than explain it away.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

Perverted damage control.

• observador
    observador

That's a good point, slimboyfat.

Anyway you could scan the book's cover? (I want to show it to my mom and spoil WT's surprise)

Thanks.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I don't have a scanner, but the whole thing was posted a couple of weeks ago - sorry, don't know where.

• glitter
    glitter

The entire book was posted here as an Acrobat document already:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/116254/1.ashx

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Gee I wonder how long it took for them to come up with that guilt-inducing biblical example. Good that they mentioned it though. I hope the example is obscure enough to get through to somebody. Talk about clutching at straws.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

'I chose to forgo educational or career possibilities because I felt the wt lied to me that that the end was very close.

don't expect any admission from the wtbts

• Warlock
    Warlock

"I felt that the end was very close"?

NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO................"I was led to believe", "I was taught", "I was told".

Don't put it back on me!

Warlock

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit