last time in field service

by darth frosty 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• Ingenuous
    Ingenuous

The last time I actually remember being out in FS, I was trying to convince my PO to talk to me.

This is a man who knew my parents most of his life (grew up with my Dad) and knew me for most of my life. He was constantly (and loudly) ribbing the friends at the meetings - he always liked to get in the last word and could stoop to embarrassing levels to do so. He cornered me one day after the meeting and said, "I'm going to pay you a shepharding call," nice and loud so everyone could hear, though he didn't mention any particular reason for it. I smiled and, in the same tone, replied, "Thanks for the warning."

He took it personally and decided to stop talking to me. Needless to say, I never got that shepherding call. I also never had a greeting returned by him or his wife after that. At the DC that followed, my grandmother fell down the stairs of the arena we were meeting in. (She was fine, BTW, just a harmless but painful bump on the head - nice that they had EMTs on site. Not so nice that they pick places that are so treacherous to navigate.) A few hours later, back at our seats, the PO made a point of leaning over me to speak to my grandmother farther down the row and completely ignored me, even when I touched his arm as part of my greeting.

I didn't find out what his problem with me was until I mentioned the situation to my Dad - many months later - and he told me the PO had told him he'd been offended by my joke. My Dad acknowledged that it was stupid, that the fact that I was young and female and he hadn't had a comeback might have hurt his pride, and that I'd have to be the one to make nice if my Presiding Overseer was ever going to speak to me again.

So, the last time I remember spending out in FS, I spent most of my time that day trying to figure out how to get back in the PO's good graces and had to be the first to make a move to get him to acknowledge my existence.

Such loving care for sheep who've entrusted their souls to their shepherds!

• freetosee
    freetosee

I stopped going to the meetings before I quit FS, because I had many BS and to me FS felt to be the more Christian activity compared with the hypocrisy of the elders and the congregation. I was a pioneer and MS, going to the meetings I was serving the elders, going in FS I was serving Jehovah I thought. I felt more spiritual not filling out a report while conducting my BS’s.

My last time in FS was when I was visiting relatives overseas. The congregation there knew me from previous visits. So one day the PO and his wife came by and invited me to go. I thought to myself, what will it be like going d-t-d not believing in it? And it was good because it confirmed the many thought and doubts I had at this early stage of my exit.

• apfergus
    apfergus

The last time I remember being in field service I was with my "pioneer buddy" or whatever they were called. I don't know if it was a widespread phenomenon, but in my congregation they would assign younger publishers to a regular pioneer who they would go out in FS with.
    I remember it because I had a conversation with him about me getting baptized. I really don't remember what I thought about that idea then, but it wasn't long after that when I stopped going to the meetings for some reason or another. I'm sure it took everyone by surprise, too, because everyone always used to tell me how I'd make such a good PO/CO and my talks at the ministry school were so good, etc.
    I remember some other random details about that Saturday afternoon, like talking about the band Jamiroquai. Actually, now that I think about it, I really don't know why I left when I did. I stopped going to the meetings when I was 17 or 18, but I still believed a lot of it up until only a year ago or so and I really wished I could have stuck with it to keep my mother happy with me.

• serendipity
    serendipity

After missing 3 months of FS, because I was dating a non JW, I went out one spring day in March 1988 at the request of a JW friend who needed a partner. I felt like such a hypocrite, so I told her I wasn't up to presenting, but would read scriptures. We came across a girl of 20 or so who was interested, and told us she was visiting her boyfriend for the weekend but attended college out of town. As we walked away, I asked if the JW friend would try to get the girl's name to the cong. in the town where she attended college. She said "Why bother. Once someone starts fornicating they're not going to want to stop until they get married."

After I put in my token one hour and left, I went to my bf's house for the rest of the weekend and engaged in conduct unbecoming a Christian.

• vitty
    vitty

I was doing the university campus with many foreign students. They were very eager to talk about the bible, and i just thought I cant do this to them. I had just started to get information about the WT , but I couldnt bring myself to go out again. Then it was the fade.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Next to last time I went out in service was the morning of the funeral for Princess Diana. No one wanted to talk about anything except the tragedy. I remember it was a beautiful day.

Last time occurred several months later. An elder called and invited me out. I agreed to join him. At the end of the month I did not turn in my time. He got mad and that was the end of that.

• caligirl
    caligirl

All I remember is that I went only because I didn't know how to say no to that person that had decided I was her personal project, and I didn't even like the woman. I do remember that I didn't bother to go to the hall because it was so far away. I told her she could pick me up after the meeting, because it meant that I had an extra hour to sleep, and that I would only have to go out for an hour or so before it was time to drop me off so they could go back and meet for the afternoon.

• karen96
    karen96

My last time in FS was with my (now ex-) hubby, who asked me to go with him on bible studies. He kept after me to tell him what was on my mind, so I finally told him I wanted out of our marriage. There's some "good news" for you! Fortunately, his BS's weren't home.

karen

• lucky
    lucky

My last time in service was the last day of the month, on a saturday, and I was auxiliary pioneering and I was working with the C.O. It was a surreal feeling because I had decided I was leaving, but no one knew. Everyone thought I was this perfect little witness. That last saturday in field service was the last time I went out in service or stepped foot in the kingdom hall after being completely active up until then. It was a beautiful day and we were working in a beautiful semi-rural territory and I remember having pleasant conversation with the C.O. I finished up my 60 hours for the month that morning and that was the end of everything.

• Nowman
    Nowman

My last day in field service was my last in the org. It was part of the plan, I left that same night. Thats why it was memorbale.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit