last time in field service

by darth frosty 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Another poster had the topic about your last meeting, but what really stands out for me is my last time in service. It was a nice day and I was trying to keep up appearances. I offered the rags a one door and the householder took them (I didn't bother with the donation spiel.) but after that I realized that I could no longer preach or tell people about something that I myself do not have confidence in. I went home sat my door to door bag down in the corner and haven't touched it since.

Anybody else have any memorable last field service experiences?

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Yep:
    I had decided to Stop trying to just give away magazines and teach people the Bible.
    I came to one door and the woman was a devout athiest.
    She said her husband said the Bible was nonsense. I showed her parts of Daniel and we had an interesting conversation.
    But I could not believe she was an athiest. In all my years of field service I'd never run into one of them before.
    I learned a lot from her, not how I thought that would end.

BSoM

• jambon1
    jambon1

I began to realise about 2 years before I left that worldly people were happier (despite having common trials like everyone). There seemed more up-beat people & just more happiness in my worldly aquaintances. Also less obsession with illness & depression.

I thought; why would I want to bring someone into this organisation that is filled with such miserable people.

My book bag is still sitting in the cupboard the same place I put it down after I finally realised that I could not do this work in good conscience.

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

I'm thinking of setting up a market stall selling second hand bags. . .

• anewme
    anewme

I just donated my service bag to the used clothing store. I realized everytime I looked at it I felt really bad. My MIL said I should get rid of anything in my possession that makes me feel like that.
    I heard her, but did nothing about the book bag. Then one day while cleaning there it was again. It was somehow sneering at me! "You're gonna die! You're gonna die! Cause you're a disobedient slave! Cause you've got a bad attitude!"
    I picked up that disgusting bag, dumped out the Bible and pens (checked for any cash)and threw it in the trunk of my car for the junk shop.

My MIL was right. Some items you should not keep in the house that cause you pain to look at.

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

I was doing a lot of field work in "deaf" territory which in the early 90s was still starting to get organized and they didnt have their own congregations yet and stuff. So it was like a 5 county area and I always volunteered to drive because I detested going door to door. I was self taught in sign language as well and so wasnt very adept at it. Also I taught myself sign English and ASL is like a totally different take on it so I was lost most of the time. But it gave me an excuse to put in my time and I often was just "watching and learning" the other sisters who went who were much better at it. When I finally did quit, one sister who was my sign language learning partner and old friend turned on me like a rabid dog and said "I KNEW you were turning your back on Jehovah! You NEVER made any effort in the field service! You didnt CARE about those deaf people! You were USING us!" and on and on and on...

Well if I hadnt decided to quit the FS before then her shitty superior attitude sealed it for me.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I remember one of the very last times, if not the last. It would have been more enjoyable if I knew it was my last time. Just faded away, and so did field service.

• Highlander
    Highlander

Not so memorable, as I don't even remember the last time I 'actually' went out preaching.

• lawrence
    lawrence

I had come to realize that the literature was inaccurate, so I went with only a Bible, and my pioneer partner lost it when I refused to place any literature. The elders were called in, the CO, etc. That was the end of pioneering, FS, and congo duties - bye bye public talks, bye bye #1 talks, bye bye B.S.

• jgnat
    jgnat

anewme, I am beginning to really like your Mother-in-law.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit