District Overseer put out to pasture with no $$$ - sad

by Dogpatch 167 Replies latest jw friends

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Well sure I pity him now, but really - how many years has he seen his fellow DOs and COs get retired off with nowhere to go? Hasn't he just ignored that little piece of reality all his life in favour of staying in his silly paradise fantasy bubble? At the same time he's been deeply involved in an organisation that breaks up marriages and families, that would rather save face than protect it's children, and all along has sincerely believed he's doing the right thing. They hurt people every minute of every day, and if the only justice they ever see for it is poverty during retirement, they're very lucky.

He lived the life he chose and now he's facing the consequences; guess what, that's life. We all choose our own path and must accept where it takes us.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

ya, that is super sad man... :( - feel sorry for the dude. i mean yes, that is incredibly naive. but then, so are all fundies. this guy was just exercising his faith in the truest way he knew.

ts

• serendipity
    serendipity

Do u think he'd take money from apostates?

• blondie
    blondie

I remember Don Emshoff when he served as a DO in this area. I remember he has been single all this time. He didn't have that high an opinion of women...very old-fashioned. Maybe he can find a wealthy, widowed sister.

Blondie

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

"Hundreds Now Living Will Never Receive a Pension!"

Probably the old guy was no longer capable of sprinting alongside jah's fast-moving chariot-like Organization.

• juni
    juni

Blondie -

When did Don serve his time as DO? We had to have been in the same district. Just curious as I've been out for almost 14 years.

Juni

• sspo
    sspo

REMEMBER ED DUNLAP

At 70 kicked out from bethel and had to go to work

• Scully
    Scully
    Or does he have no leverage due to the org's non-profit status or because he would have had to have raised the issue when he accepted the contract or what not?

I would not be the least bit surprised if there was something in the "pre-nup" (for lack of a better word) along with the Vow of Poverty™ that all Full Time Servants™ are required to sign when they enter the Circuit/District work or Bethel Service waiving the right to claim pension or retirement benefits.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

I bet that all the brightening light has probably buggered up his eyesight some, as well.

• fjtoth
    fjtoth
    Maybe he can find a wealthy, widowed sister.

Hi Blondie,

My situation is similar to his. I left behind 40 years of "full-time service" too, most of those years at Bethel. But I left of my own accord when I was going on 60. It was bad enough starting life over again at that age, so I'm sure he's going to have a rough time of it unless something like wealthy relatives or a rich widow are part of his life. A man his age will only find work that pays the minimum wage or a bit more. His pension will be the minimum, hardly anything to live on.

If he goes through anything like I did, he'll often have days without food or a home or friends who really know his situation. He'll find that government social workers won't always understand what his life is truly like. He'll be expected to fill out lengthy questionaires and forms only to be turned down occasionally because of one or two minor details he forgot to mention. It ain't gonna be easy.

As for me, I'm still waiting for that "wealthy, widowed sister" to come along. Otherwise, life is pretty good when you have faith and fairly good health.

Frank

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit