I miss the "free" food.

by Justice-One 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Sweetp0985
    Sweetp0985

Dang, well I was part of one of the "good" lil JW families that made it a point EVERY DAMN ASSembly to be there a whole 3-4 hrs early just to make sandwiches...I admit during that time, I was anxious about it..why I have no clue, but now looking back.......I remember once there was this sister that was on the roast beef line with us..and she picked up these 2 lil pieces of roast beef (barely enough to make a mouthful unless you have a huge mouth) that had fell on the table and loudly said "we have to stop being so wasteful, this amount of roast beef im holding that was gonna be thrown away is enough to make a whole sandwich." I think I personally had one of her sandwiches too...it was literally "where's the beef?"

I guess I'm the only one that liked the lil bagels with cream cheese and jelly....thats all i really remember...cuz i was always making the damn sandwiches...didnt really want them when lunch time rolled around... I never bought tickets unless my parents were standing right there behind me cuz I felt they should have been free for me in the first place..

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I loved the vanilla pudding and the little mini bags of chips...standing in line all that time was really lousy as a kid though at least when we started bringing a bag lunch you could ditch and eat as soon as the song ended.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

"I wrote a letter to the Society, some time before I quit. Then as a serving elder I respectfully reminded them that Assemblies were all about the experience of being there and having a part , rather than sitting and listening. I got a patronizing reply.

When the dubs I know get together , they say exactly the same as we do..."
    --BluesBrother
    The experience...yes, the experience used to be great. Now it's just a matter of beating the heat. San Diego's is still outside, so you have to have a plan for the sun or you will get burnt. All the shady seats are gone within 10 minutes of opening, literally. If you go into the shady, padded seat area, there is really not more than 2 seats' worth of open seating, should you come in around 8:30. You've already been beaten by the folks who line up at 6:30 in the morning.
    That leaves the majority of people to deal with the sun. Then at lunch you can't leave, and there seemed to be more people holding signs that said "KEEP MOVING" and "QUIET PLEASE" than last year. It's a constant message...pay attention, stop wandering around, keep moving, look happy. Even in the dramas they chastise people who can't get the day off. Well, sorry! Some people have this crazy idea about keeping their job!

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I think people in Russia make fun of JW's standing in line for food.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

"there is no child care for the babies or little children (I explained the WT hierarchy to her)" XJW4EVR. Probably not a good Idea, they might have someone like Jesus M. Cano watching them kids.

• Beep,Beep
    Beep,Beep

"My kind? Hey it was a protest ok? I hated being there, and wanted to make them pay somehow for screwing with my life, my family.."

Except your protest could have been the reason my children didn't get the hoagies they wanted for lunch. I wonder how many people your "protest" hurt.

You hated being there, fine why not just leave? Why stay?

As for your other comment, I'm sorry if I don't have the level of animosity that you seem to require. Tough!

• Scully
    Scully

Mysterious:

I loved the vanilla pudding

Oh yes!! It was especially excellent when it was still partially frozen.... mmmmmm

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug
    I hated the convention food the smell alone would make me sick. But I did love to get the frozen orange juice in the morning and eat it with a spoon.

ditto on the pukey face. I did though really like the donuts fresh made. One of my fondest memories was driving from my friends home in Cerrillos NM (an hour away) to downtown Santa Fe to go make the donuts. Someone used to own a donut making machine or so and we would get up and go ice them with chocolate icing. That was the best. We would have out fingers of our clear gloves guncked up with chocolate and were on a sugar rush by 6AM!!

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    Lovely bacon baps and fresh doughnuts, yum. Anyone else from Blighty remember that?

i used to be a buffet overseer...twas fun

big mistake....bbbiiiigggggg mistake stopping food at the assemblies

the simplification spin only worked for the heads of departments and the idea that they would spend the time listening to the talks was rubbish cos by this time they had got so used to not actually listening that they didnt think they needed to anyway...

and it made it a whole lot harder for families..who now had to cater in advance..struggle with extra baggage..and so often arrived late and made things more disruptive for themselves and others

plus the volunteering was fun and a good way to meet prospective marriage mates from different halls esp for those who wouldnt have the oppurtunity to meet on other occasions...

and...in scotland we had icecream everyday..how ironic is that

but one year it was really hot and so people were struggling to sit and there was much more mingling during sessions...ron drage was the bethel rep that year and on viewing this he told the food overseer (my best man) to find as many buffet captains as he could and open the buffets so they could sell food..."if they are not going to listen they might as well be making us money" he said

they should bring food back...but they wont...cos that would be an admission that they were wrong...again

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

did anyone ever take grapes outta the food bags and throw them at people who were asleep?

I NEVER DID IT

but my brothers did..

wait i take that back. .i did throw them at one of my brothers when he was asleep with his mouth wide open lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit