I miss the "free" food.

by Justice-One 45 Replies latest jw friends

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

Those tickets!!! Yes I remember those things. Had to stand in line and buy the tickets then go stand in line for the food. I remember when they actually used to serve hot food! At one of the Lake Placid assemblies up in NY I remember them serving up piping hot eggrolls! yummy. Then I remember right before I left they had completely stopped serving food, and at the assembly hall they had just built in Henrietta, NY, in the dining area the only seats available were for the elderly or infirmed. everyone else had to stand up around tables eating their bag lunches they had brought. Ugh

Shelli

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

Wow I must've been from a rich district because we had Ice Cream every day of the convention. Not the bigger one in Providence but the smaller one in Natick we had ice cream. They had soft serve. Actually now you mention it I do miss the hoagies and danishes. The older danishes though, I remember they switched to small packaged Sarah Lee ones later on, give me generic or give me death LOL. Didn't they have like roast beef sandwiches and chicken patties too? Oh to have another meal there back in the day, actually now it's the kind of food I turn my nose up at, since it's way off my diet course.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M
    And one time I got a bag full of food and took it out to the homeless (aka bums) that were hanging around.

Great idea! I never thought about that.

My favorite was the burritos. mmmm I can still taste them. About mid morning during the convention we would pass a piece of paper around the family and write down what each one wanted. That was generally the highlight of the convention.

One final memory. I got really really sick after a CA and found out that many other people in the Circuit shared the same food virus. Uck!

Thanks for taking us down memory lane.

• Scully
    Scully
    They had ice cream on Sundays??? Wow, did I miss the train on that one!

I remember getting strawberry sundaes. That alone made conventions almost bearable.

If I had to go now, I think I'd just want to slit my wrists. Come to think of it, my last convention that's just how I felt!

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

What about the Egg Muffin things wrapped in that really thing foil, NOW that I loved, almost worth getting up at 5am. Sad that our only good memories of conventions are Danish, Ice Cream, Hoggies, and Egg Muffins.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Bubble:I remember Twickers well. I used to go there when we lived in Bucks in the 70s.

The fresh donuts and bacon baps were worth getting there early for! Those were the days of the long strips of ten tickets, food tents, and those rectangular cushions to make the seats bearable. Methinks they lost the plot when they started cutting back on promoting such camaderie.

There's little doubt that the WTS of today is quite different from what it used to be.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

I hated the convention food the smell alone would make me sick. But I did love to get the frozen orange juice in the morning and eat it with a spoon.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    The fresh donuts and bacon baps were worth getting there early for! Those were the days of the long strips of ten tickets, food tents, and those rectangular cushions to make the seats bearable. Methinks they lost the plot when they started cutting back on promoting such camaderie.

I remember those days well....but more as a youngster; the early morning bacon baps were amazing and I remember how much of a status symbol it was to own a huge wad of food tokens. I mean, what the hell? All we did was own a bunch of worthless paper.

Much like the watchtower collection I amassed also!

Happy days LT!

DB74

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I can't believe how many people liked those soggy bunned hoggies...bleeh. I also hated those Shata colas tasted like chewing foil.

The fruit bags...yum yum....always saved that like it was popcorn to eat during the drama.

I'm also old enough to remember the hot lunches that used to be served. Only problem was no place to sit...we all stood side by side at a long table that was way too tall for a little kid to eat at comfortably.

Then I remember being old enough to work at the concession stands. That was always fun....Then my parents figured out it was more about leaving my seat early and coming back late then it was about serving food,...so no more for me.

lisa

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

what are baps? I remember I would keep getting up to use the bathroom or during breaks and stroll the walk ways scamming on chicks. It was kind of like a meat market huhh.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit