Newbie intro

by Just as I am 35 Replies latest jw friends

• damselfly
    damselfly

Welcome to all 3 of you. :-)

Dams

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Newbie, I had the same experiance at my dad funeral "service" I how ever felt sick looking at all the JW's pretending to care, they were polite to me, but didn't talk to me, I just looked around, and it was like a contest to show how fake and who could "encourage" the most or the best. True Sincerity is just something that elders don't really understand or know what the hell it is. And yeah the "Service?" was more like an hour of preaching than talking about my dad, "we as JW's believe this, we as JW's know this, we as JW's always say this" I was like Who care what the F*ck you think, this is my dads Funeral not a damn commercial for Witlessness!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Nice to meet you! I checked out the web and it looks like a really cool church. welcome to the board!

Josie

• greendawn
    greendawn

Welcome to the forum just as I am, your username shows that you found the right way. The JWs are only apparently a good organisation and they lack true Christian love among themselves it's a business more than anything else.

• Just as I am
    Just as I am
    Wordly Andre wrote: Newbie, I had the same experiance at my dad funeral "service" I how ever felt sick looking at all the JW's pretending to care, they were polite to me, but didn't talk to me, I just looked around, and it was like a contest to show how fake and who could "encourage" the most or the best. True Sincerity is just something that elders don't really understand or know what the hell it is. And yeah the "Service?" was more like an hour of preaching than talking about my dad, "we as JW's believe this, we as JW's know this, we as JW's always say this" I was like Who care what the F*ck you think, this is my dads Funeral not a damn commercial for Witlessness!

Exactly! However, now that I have a better understanding of the brainwashing and screwed up beliefs, I feel like I can forgive it all and move on. As they say, life is too short long to hold on to all that crap!

VM73 wrote: There have been a couple "fear factors" for me.... a) Praying and not saying "Dear Jehovah" - I have not been able to get past this one yet. b) The first time I took communion, feeling like I was going to be struck dead on the spot.

I know what you mean, although many times times people just start praying by saying things like "thank you Lord for..." or "I just can't handle this, Father..." and so on without a formal "greeting" to God. He already knows your joys and concerns anyway. Why make it into an impersonal thing by worrying about how to begin? Just something to think about... Also, when I first took communion, I felt like I was doing wrong and what punishment would I have to endure. But now I realize it is meant for all and a way to accept and remember Jesus' loving sacrifice for us. It's like a slap in His face to refuse it! Something else I just read about: I researched the New Apostolic Church website because I recently met someone that practices this faith and wanted to know more about it. They have a belief that the living must accept communion on behalf of those who've died and are waiting somewhere for Christ's return. It's a quarterly thing called Service for the Departed. It was something that made me wonder. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

• Just as I am
    Just as I am
    VM73: ...Praying and not saying "Dear Jehovah"...

Another thought: Why can't you pray "Dear Jehovah"? People of many different religious backgrounds accept "Jehovah" as one of God's names and use it before other names. Ex.: Jehovah-Elohim means Lord God reflecting divine majesty and power, Jehovah-Jireh means the Lord God will provide, Jehovah-Elyon means Supreme or most loved God. There are others, but you get the drift. Just open your heart when praying, it's the conversation and closeness He wants, not the strict adherence to rules.

Just as I am

• Jourles
    Jourles

Welcome to the board! And if your location is correct, we will be having a big get-together Apostafest on July 22 at Kensington Park(between Brighton and Detroit). You are more than welcome to come and meet several posters from the board. We would be happy to have you there!

• codeblue
    codeblue

Welcome all newbies

I have enjoyed reading your thoughts....I was there about 3 years ago. I remember all the questions I had and to be told: you have to find the answer...nothing is black and white..lol...

And thanks to the internet research was made easy...

• greendawn
    greendawn

It's just that the name jehovah smacks too much of the JWs or even of the obsolete judaism and the fact that to them the god of the old testament is more significant than Jesus who is the direct head of the church.

Many people loath the formulation "organisation of Jehovah" as opposed to "church of Christ" since Christians are supposed to become members of the Church which is the body of the Christ not that of jehovah.

Finally the dubs attached too many negative meanings to the name jehovah as a very severe, vengeful and exacting god just as in the old testament stories. To the Jews God is a strict lord to the Christians a loving father by the Spirit of adoption that came through Jesus.

• Just as I am
    Just as I am

Hi Mrs. Jones 5,

Thanks for the welcome. Our church really is cool. My kids love it, especially (and get this!) my teens! My 15-y-o daughter actually looks forward to going twice a week and talks about it to other people. She's the one that wanted to try the church in the first place and insisted we keep going! You can't ask for a whole lot more than that from your kids.

Just

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit