Went to a witness party....oh, excuse me, "gathering" over the weekend.....

by enlightenedcynic 49 Replies latest jw experiences

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

In my experience a JW party ment square dancing, bible charades (as previously mentioned) or some other lame type of entertainment. Oh yeah....how could I forget. The talent shows. What a riot they were. Not much talent in my local KH let me tell you.

Nope, nothing that I miss, that's for sure.

• Genesis
    Genesis

When I hear this kind of thing it normally make me sad to know that I could had a more normal life in the borg but I was a young spiritual sicko. The thing is I wasnt hypocritical and had integrity and thats what got me out of the cult while the other hypocrites are still in...

• wednesday
    wednesday

I know genesis, it hurts me to see this too. while some of us plodded along, believing everything the wts said, the rest often did engage in activites the wts publically said were wrong.. Frequently the really spiritual jws were not invited b/c, well, they would have ratted them out.

actually it was one of the first things i noted when I came here. It was somewhat difficut b/c when i read some posts, I would say to myself "you and persons like you are the reason I no longer attend the KH.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

"Frequently the really spiritual jws were not invited b/c, well, they would have ratted them out."
    --wednesday
    Yup. A few conventions ago we had a needs part on the "problem with Doubles." The brother mentioned a group of (I'm guessing) ex-jws who called themselves "Doubles," for living a double-life. I had heard no such thing before, but regarded it as truth so I listened intently. Apparently they would have parties and then determine if someone was a "Double," whereby they could gain access to the real party where there was booze, sex, drugs, rock 'n roll, etc.
    A few weeks after I heard it, everyone I talked to had heard no such thing either, so it was probably fake or just a local problem in one congregation. There is a grain of truth to it though: "Super Sisters" and other pioneers--usually one in the same--will all be at one type of gathering and then the "cool" people will be at other ones. And ne'er shall the twain meet at the same gathering unless it is a big congregation picnic.
    I know what everyone's talking about though. When it's a "Super Sister" friendly gathering, someone will bust out a ukelele or accordion and start to yodel org songs. Then comes the Bible charades, or the Bible wordsearch, or the popular Bible games!
    I go to those parties to keep up appearances, but know better than to stick around after the food is served.

• Jourles
    Jourles

Way back when, I heard the term "Californication." This was probably around 18 years ago. It was always used to describe the CA brothers. I'm not sure when that term first appeared on the scene, but when I heard for the first time Red Hot Chili Pepper's rendition of this title, I immediately thought they ripped it off from the unspoken jw lingo.

Does anyone know when that term first appeared?

• Jourles
    Jourles

Nevermind, I found it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Californication

It seems it started as a bumper sticker movement to stop the spread of Californians from moving into Oregon. Funny that it evolved into describing in general us CA antitypes.

• sandy
    sandy

Well for the record there are some wholesome parties here in CA where you sing kingdom melodies, play bible charades, and other bible games. I wan't very cool as a dub and was normally invited to the more "wholesome" parties. A few times though I was lucky enough to get invited to a cool party.

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

The parties in Rural Arkansas were totally kingdum melody sing-a-LONGs, or Bible charades, or even watch a performance of a Bible drama... Whoever organized the party always, always had chaperones designated (no matter the age range of the party guests) and they were almost always elders or ms's. There was never alcohol at any of the parties and they were always over by 9:30 or 10:00.

Gawd! That was my youth.... That really makes me depressed!!

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE
    I'll tell ya, since I left the dubs I can't find one good party to attend anymore. Now we get invited over people's houses and there is no cursing, booze, flirting with others mates, etc. It's so WHOLESOME! WEIRD

Freedomlover I also find this to be the case, wierd isnt it? The cliche' is so true "these worldly people are nicer than some JWs I know" The wife and I have been starting to develop friendships outside the cong. This may be a good setup for our eventual, hopefully together, exit!

• greendawn
    greendawn

That's very strange behaviour for a bunch of repressed victorians like the JWs, the CO better not hear about it because a lot of elders will get castigated about being part of the sinful world. They will be labelled as a liberal and unspiritual congo, an example to be avoided.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit