Went to a witness party....oh, excuse me, "gathering" over the weekend.....

by enlightenedcynic 49 Replies latest jw experiences

• enlightenedcynic
    enlightenedcynic

The mrs. and I were invited to a "gathering" this weekend. Was just supposed to be some friends getting together for some food and fellowship. When we arrived, there were a bunch of jw's in the back yard(50 to 100) and the music was pumping loud(not that I minded{smile}). Anyhow, I saw a few elders and some ms' from our congregation and they didn't seem to mind one bit what was going on. The beer and liquor was flowing and oh did I mention that the music was pumping? Reggae, Hip-Hop, Soca and Calypso music. Hips were gyrating...breasts were bouncing...pelvis was touching pelvis....all until 2:30 in the morning!!! The wife said that while she enjoyed the "gathering", she felt uncomfortable about some of the things she saw! Not me, I have always known that most dubs are a bunch of hypocritical, pleasure seeking folks, just like the "worldlings". ec

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

What????????? No Bible charades ? No singing Kingdom melodies around the campfire ? Did you all at least study your Watchtower together for fun ???? Sounds like no JW party I ever heard of mister, are you sure you weren't Partying with ....... Evil Apostates !

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

Wow. Hotter than a priest in a playground!

• sandy
    sandy

I think you find this tpe of behavior more in the metropolitan areas. I've been to so many dub parties where you couldn't even tell the difference between a "wordly" part and a JW party.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the aftermath of the party a "local needs" talk is given in the coming weeks.

I remember going to this huge party out on some ranch area in a remote area of San Diego w/ a friend of mine. A couple weeks later my friends elders gave a "local needs" talk about how going out to remote places for parties is a big no no . . . The parties were too big and uncontollable and naturally resulted in brother/sisters engaging in immoral conduct.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

"I remember going to this huge party out on some ranch area in a remote area of San Diego w/ a friend of mine. A couple weeks later my friends elders gave a "local needs" talk about how going out to remote places for parties is a big no no . . . The parties were too big and uncontollable and naturally resulted in brother/sisters engaging in immoral conduct."
    --sandy
    That's how we do!!
    Yeah, I remember one party for a friend of my sister that was up in Temecula. The same party down in Diego would've been considered worldly, and would've been broken up....but nobody did anything except break up the more suggestive dancing. The next day people were at meeting like nothing had happened. We like to party in socal...

• undercover
    undercover

Your experience reminds me of a JW wedding reception I went to a few years ago.

A worldly MC was used for the music(no live band); he had the strobe lights, disco ball, etc. played the most current dance, techno, club, hip hop music. There was a cash bar (wow!). The reception was in the hotel conference room where most of the out of town guests were staying. Those always make the best places to party...you don't have to drive anywhere, just stagger to your room and pass out.

The music was loud, it was dark on the dance floor (except for the strobe lights), the dancing was quite provocative, the alchohol was flowing freely. We had a great time. Even a couple of elders got dragged onto the dance floor by pioneer sisters. A few of us brothers (brave on alcohol) slipped out and "decorated" the get away car of the bride and groom. Shaving cream, cans and shoes tied off the bumbers and condoms stuck to the windshield.

Then a couple of weeks later, the judicial committee meetings started...drunkeness, loose conduct, uncleanness...all because a couple of stick in the muds complained about the party atmosphere and then two sisters felt quilty about drinking too much and felt the need to "confess". Then came the local needs part on staying free from the world and not being influenced by their styles and music etc etc blah blah blah

Now that I think about it, this was the same wedding where some of us had too much fun at an impromptu "bachelor party" the night before. I remember the best man was so hungover that he had to wear sunglasses during the wedding and had to be steadied by the next groomsman in line.

Good times...

• Jourles
    Jourles
    I remember going to this huge party out on some ranch area in a remote area of San Diego w/ a friend of mine.

Was this in either Jamul or Lakeside?? There was one family in the hall(dad was an elder) whose spread we referred to as "Party HQ." The other family lived in Lakeside but went to our congo(back then, the Alpine congo went to the Lakeside hall). The parents were not that "strong" in the truth and of course the kids followed suit. Those kids were the biggest drunks I ever knew. I honestly thought that everyone at my high school, collectively, were not as bad as these kids were. But they didn't just have alcohol - they made the pilgrimage to TJ like everyone else did. Only they brought back the stuff that the rest of us witness kids were too scared to bring back.

I agree, us Socal kids knew how to party. Stone cold wasted is a good description.

• anewme
    anewme

I am happy to hear that the witnesses were able to enjoy a successful "gathering"!
    Poor things! If they really obeyed the Society they would never have that kind of social fun.
    They need brave individuals to defy orders and throw healthy parties.

Our congregation had quite a few.....and look it didnt do me any harm!

• Miss_MG
    Miss_MG

what happened to only small gatheringssounds like things have changed since I have left.

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

ahhh yes. the good old days.

I'll tell ya, since I left the dubs I can't find one good party to attend anymore. Now we get invited over people's houses and there is no cursing, booze, flirting with others mates, etc. It's so WHOLESOME! WEIRD!

LOL! but I'm totally serious here....

it was a real shocker for me at how *worldly* people really act.

sounds like there will be a local needs soon......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit