Do You REALLY Believe That A Pedophile Issue Will Bring Down The Watchtower

by minimus 50 Replies latest jw friends

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Min, Unfortunately you are right. The tower won't fall because of this type of revelation, but hopefully it might rock a little, and maybe (hopefully) news like this will be widely publicised and interested people will think twice about committing themselves to the org. The other stuff they've done, like the UN fiasco, is only of real interest to jws and ex jws, but child abuse, with the inevitable bad publicity it brings, is more likely to cut down on the number of who respond to the door to door work.

• Warlock
    Warlock

NO, NEVER.

Warlock

• kwr
    kwr

No it will not. If there are 20,000 claims about child molestation all the organization has to do is accept them and the judgement and file for bankruptcy. FYI, If you are or were a member of the Jehovah's Witnesses the courts can come after the members for civil damages also. This is what is occuring in Portland, Oregon with the Portland Catholic Archdiocese. When the Portland branch is completely bankrupt the lawyers are going to go after the assets of the members of the church. Such as placing liens on houses, cars and attaching bank accounts of members of the Portland Archdiocese Catholic Church.

• parakeet
    parakeet

No, there will always be hardcore JWs who will believe up is down if the WTS tells them so. What I hope for from the pedophile scandals is (1) that bringing pedophiles to justice will first and foremost stop their victimizing of children; (2) that the bad publicity generated by this and other scandals will help those JWs who are questioning their faith to question it still further; and (3) that people who study with JWs will become a little more skeptical about JW claims of the high moral standards of their religious leaders.
    Anything more than that would be nice but is too much in the realm of speculation at this stage.

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

No, I don't think it will, AND I hope that people will not look at the exposers as copycats of the ones

revealing the pedophile priests. People, unfortunately are , at first, cynical of those who bring to light

something that has been going on for a long time. Then, later, after much work, they slowly begin to

understand what's happening.

But, pressure is pressure and in the long run it works.

• free2beme
    free2beme

Not in the least, but it can help those looking for healing to find it.

• Scully
    Scully

I seriously doubt that this one sick pervert being caught is going to bring the WTS to its knees.

However, there are going to be JWs who had contact with Cano that will start to wonder Did he bring his hidden camera into the Kingdom Hall washroom when my kid was in there? Did he bring his hidden camera into the Kingdom Hall washroom when I was there? Did he do it at Circuit Assemblies and District Conventions? How many pics of unsuspecting JWs are on the CDs and videos that were in his possession?

They are going to realize that this guy, with his status as a member of the Bethel Family™, had the potential to victimize thousands of people in his travels across the US, in Mexico and in the Caribbean, who trusted him solely on the basis of his status within the Organization™. Maybe it will make them wonder whether the Holy Spirit™ really has anything to do with the Appointment™ of anyone to any position of responsibility / trust within the WTS. And that can only be a good thing.

Considering the pose in Cano's photograph, if the Holy Spirit™ had anything to do with his being Appointed™, I'm guessing that "bum steered" is the more accurate description over Spirit Directed™.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Bring it down? No.

But embarassment, lawsuits and $ settlements, unguarded responses like JR Browns that will haunt them, fence sitters finally jumping out, possible recruits that will never happen, XJWs energized and motivated, it goes on and on. It's ALL GOOOD.

Another reason it won't be brought down, the rank and file that simply will not allow it because their miserable lives are too entwined in it to ever allow it. They'll call it persecution and let it go at that.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

I don't believe anything will bring down the watchtower, unless that thing has more money than them. I don't think anybody should waste their time trying to make it happen, because they love their persecution complex. The best we can do is get our loved ones out, or happily leave them to it.

In the meantime, yes I think that they'll learn quickly how to spin this kind of thing, and they're going to hang Cano out to dry.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

No but the hope is that change can be forced upon that sect so that children will not have to suffer as they do now.

There will always be sects and cults like the Witnesses. Even if they went away, there would be the polygamous sects, the Scientologists, the Moonies, et al. It's like the Hydra, cut off one and two more take their place.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit