What I heard the JW's say in light of this tragedy

by Bridgette 66 Replies latest jw friends

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I believe that many JWs will react in the mindless way that has been mentioned here - but many will not. The main response I heard from the Witnesses I talked with yesterday was the usual stupidity about how this could lead to the Great Trib. or how it could fulfill Bible prophecy. At the same time there were expressions of genuine concern for ALL the people affected by this.

And before you lambast all JWs for the same mindset, when I got home last night, my wife - an active JW - had a candle burning in our bedroom window in honor of the victims and their families. She also just called me from her job, and said would I consider using our vacation, which begins in two weeks, to volunteer to help in the city. I was already thinking about that.
    S4

• Bridgette
    Bridgette

Kent,
    I visited your site and read the threads. Hard to read. It's like blood lust, but I doubt many even recognize it as such, because fo the DEEP indoctrination (what did St. Paul write about those "deeply entrenched things"?).
    It's like what the poster (JT, I believe) wrote about regarding the situation of blacks in the American South. The whites dehumanized blacks, so it was easy to watch them die, even gloat over it! I beleive that's what JW's are taught in a way: to hate anyone who's not one of them, or at least view them as less than human. I saw so much of that in the ORG. But I saw good people too: those who clung to their humanity and individuality. Like myself, who was absolutely sickened at the thought of Armageddon and people dying. My dad was DF'd and I couldn't even stomach the thought that he and millions of others would die. THEN, a brother brought out from the platform that it would NOT be a pleasant death, it would be agonizing (quoting some scripture in Zechariah about eyeballs rotting out of the head). Blood lust. Lack of love. No thanks.
    Love,
    Bridgette

• Tina
    Tina

Seeker,I dont know who your post was directed at,but I made it clear not ALL JW's were like that.From my personal experiences I still say the majority are tho. I'm glad your wife is one of the minority.T

Carl Sagan on balancing openness to new ideas with skeptical scrutiny..."if you are open to the point of gullibility and have not an ounce of skeptical sense-you cannot distinguish useful ideas from worthless ones."

• DB
    DB

I am a Witness, and I have been shocked and deeply saddened by the attack on the US. I feel awful for everyone affected by this heinous crime.

Is this perhaps the start (or continuation) of world wide action against religion? Maybe, maybe not. But for me, the important thing now is those poor people who have been victimized and their families.

But I must admit, before the bookstudy last night, the brother praying only mentioned the "brothers" in NY. My wife and I discussed that after the bookstudy, and we agreed that he should have mentioned ALL people who may have been affected by this tragedy.

• Tina
    Tina

while 'good dubs are shocked and saddened ,they are also knocking on doors preaching'gods kingdom'.How is this going to be achieved? Through worldwide genocide. Nice dichotomy there.

Carl Sagan on balancing openness to new ideas with skeptical scrutiny..."if you are open to the point of gullibility and have not an ounce of skeptical sense-you cannot distinguish useful ideas from worthless ones."

• Bridgette
    Bridgette

Seeker 4
    I initiated this thread in order to put a human face on individuals--especially Jehovah's Witnesses. I had actually hoped more would speak up with compassionate voices.
    I am heartened when I hear of ones like your wife (why, she reminds me a lot of myself when I was in). I know she is not the only one. They are not the majority---yet....but it's a start. You can't bowl over people's individuality forever with a wall of dogma. Most are lured in to the ORG because they are loving people desperate to see change in the world. That love and innocence gets manipulated after a while...but in most it's still there. I very much believe that humans very much want to love one another at their very core and in the end it will prevail over any manmade dogma or prejudice.
    Blessings,
    B.

• conflicted
    conflicted

I am seeing alot of posters damning JW's for callousness. It saddens my heart to see this when you look at it from another perspective - you are showing the same callousness for dubs as they show for the world. Healing can't begin until the boundries are dropped and we help people regardless of their beliefs - it goes both ways.

You have to remember two things; one, you all were there once, and many of you have stated that you would have thought the same way if you were still in. The fact that you show compassion now is not a reflection of what you believe now or then. It's a mind set that you have broken. That leads me to point two, they aren't heartless and cold. They have been trained to disregard life. It isn't the fault of the individual, the organization is to blame. The org has trained and indoctrined the rank and file to feel nothing for anyone who is not a JW. That way they can teach about the extermination of the planet without sorrow or remorse.

It comes from the top, and that is where the blame lies, not with the individual who is repeating what he/she has been taught.

• Room 215
    Room 215

It's true that many JWs are sensitive, caring people. It's also true that the overall effect of Witness doctrine is to desensitize their more noble instincts with the propagation of the the myth of JW moral excellence and the incessant denigration and stereotyping of all non-JWs as ``worldling'' dominated by self interest and greed.
    By opting out of human society, the JWs shed some of their humanity and learn to suppress their natural instincts toward compassion, empathy, etc.
    The unvarnished truth is that if I had to make a list of the tend finest and ten worst people I ever met, thre would be JWs and non-JWs on each.

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

In a post somewhere, I reported honestly and completely the reactions of JW's at my Hall last night as seen and heard directly and in person by my own self. There is no callousness, hatred, no emotions at all in passing along my eyewitness observations, and I am sure the same is true for the others posted here.

Those clips you see posted here from Greatcrowd and WOL are real, they exist, they happened. There is no hatred, callousness, no emotions at all involved in passing along these postings.

The emotions I see the most is from JW's protesting ---not their own people's behavior---but the public revelation of it. THANK YOU FOR MAKING OUR POINT.

Ex-JW's take no pride from exposing these people's mindset and behavior. Do you think I'm proud that there was a time I might have let my child die because some man told me to? Or that it took me almost 30 years to break free of this? No! I say to you.

The group of people known as Jehovah's Witnesses have perpetrated a fraud upon the world for 120 years. Their God has given them that long to get their act together, and they have chosen not to do so. If they are now experiencing the repercussions of their own ungodly and unbiblical behavior, it is only their own fault--and it is NOT persecution for Jesus' or God's sake.

I help every Jehovah's Witness whenever I can, on this board, in chat, through email...traveling hundreds of miles at my own expense. I help people stay in the organization as well as get out of it. And what I do is but a drop in a bucket compared to the dedication and support that others on this board put out, and have been putting out long before I came on this scene.

Do you think any of us would do this if we 'hated' Jehovah's Witnesses; took 'glee' in their downfall? We do it because we care about them, because we see the good in them, because we once were in their shoes.

I know for a fact that many Jehovah's Witnesses are taking a good long look at the work we do on this board; and the people we are helping, and the people we have helped are now helping others. My heart goes out to all JW's who are hurting, trying to change, trying to do the right thing, trying to make the best of a bad situation.

And my heart goes out to all those who are trying to help them. It is harder than you so-called LOYAL Jehovah's Witnesses can EVER know.

dungbeetle...cleaning up the crap.

• normie67
    normie67

In spite of all of the callouseness of some derelict "JWS", my thoughts and prayers are with those victims and families.
    May God Bless Them All!!
    And yes as an active JW I would do anything to help those in need....even Blood!
    Please don't stereotype all JWs as callouse individuals based upon a few zealots........
    I am one if, given the opportunity, willgive a Public Prayer on behalf of "All those affected" rather than the "Bros"

May Jah Help Us All

n67

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit