She's Back! With a question about guns & JWs

by asleif_dufansdottir 63 Replies latest jw friends

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

Hey, guys...

looooooong time no see. Some of you might remember me but it's been a very long time. Still in grad school, and have a new (sort of) hobby.

I've always liked guns. Neither hubby's or my family were ever JWs, and I grew up in a family that just liked guns (like some people like cars or motorcycles).

I've gotten back into guns and shooting again (just went back home for a visit and shot with dad for the first time in decades). I even have a concealed carry license (can see the old cong. PO's reaction to that one LOL) !

I'm on several gun owners' forums and sometimes the topic of religion comes up. Always willing to do a little preventative medicine. ;)

I "remember" that JWs weren't allowed handguns and you couldn't have a job that required you to carry one (police or military). Don't remember what the official doctrine was on that. Can somebody help me out here?

• frozen one
    frozen one

It has been a while since I've attended meetings, but I grew up in a devout Witness family in rural Minnesota. Almost everyone in the congregation had firearms of some sort. I do remember that at least two elders in the congregation had pistols. One of them always carried his Colt .45 when he went snowmobiling in case he saw dogs gone wild attacking deer. I'm pretty sure jobs that required carrying firearms were prohibited though. Other jobs were just frowned on unless they were janitorial in nature with plenty of free time for the "work." I have a conceal carry permit too.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Howdy asleif! Good to see ya again.

Don't know nuthin 'bout guns, never even held one (I'm a sorry Texan).

Chris

• restrangled
    restrangled

I'm not personally a fan of fire arms, but had to purchase one after my husband took on an emploee that threatened our family and our children.

We put it away in a closet with the bullets seperated about 6 feet off the floor. My little boys one day got a chair, climbed up and discovered this fire arm. That was the end of it for me.

Just my experience, and I don't know how the JW's view it, but I will never have another gun in my home.

r.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The reasoning below is that it is not unscriptural so a conscience matter. However, it could lead to bloodshed and does not assist the witnessing work, so not a good idea. Trust in Jehovah's protection, he will protect you, sometimes.

*** w73 2/15 p. 127 Questions from Readers ***

Is it compatible with maintaining a Christian conscience for one to accept employment that involves being armed, carrying either a gun or a club?—U.S.A.

Jehovah God himself allowed human governments to exercise authority for law enforcement, by means of arms if necessary. Regarding such governmental authority we read: "It is not without purpose that it bears the sword; for it is God’s minister, an avenger to express wrath upon the one practicing what is bad." (Rom. 13:4) Hence no Scriptural objection can be raised against the existence of armed law-enforcement agencies nor against a government’s authorizing certain men to carry weapons when protecting property and/or people.

However, whether a Christian would choose employment, such as that of policeman, guard or night watchman, if he were required to carry a gun or another weapon is something that he would have to determine for himself. He would want to consider: Do I want to take on the burden of making quick and difficult decisions in a crucial situation where human life is involved? Am I willing to come into circumstances that could require me to use a weapon, perhaps doing so in a way that would incur bloodguilt before Jehovah?

Furthermore, a Christian’s main objective is to assist others to come to an accurate knowledge of the truth. He wants to teach others how to "be peaceable with all men." (Rom. 12:18) In view of this, he might ask himself, Is my carrying a weapon in my employment going to appear to others as a contradiction of Christian teaching? Is there reason to believe that it will be a cause for stumbling? The Christian must make his own decision based on God’s Word and his knowledge of existing circumstances. If he feels his holding such a weapon-carrying job really would be detrimental to the spreading of Bible truth, the Christian would wisely choose other employment. The Scriptural counsel is not ‘to be stumbling others.’—Phil. 1:10.

Whatever the Christian’s decision, it should be in harmony with his Scripturally trained conscience. But he never need feel pressured by concern for lack of life’s necessities. The assurance of God’s Word is: "Jehovah is a lover of justice, and he will not leave his loyal ones." (Ps. 37:28) "I will by no means leave you nor by any means forsake you."—Heb. 13:5.

*** w98 12/15 pp. 22-23 When Armed Robbers Strike ***

Some people desperately seek security by arming themselves with guns. Christians, though, take seriously the words of Jesus, who said: “Those who take the sword will perish by the sword.” (Matthew 26:52) God’s people have ‘beaten their swords into plowshares’ and do not buy guns to protect themselves from robbery or assault.—Micah 4:3.

What about arranging for armed security guards? While this would be a matter for personal decision, remember that such an arrangement puts the gun in the hands of someone else. What would an employer expect of the guards if a robber came along? Would he expect the guards to shoot the thief if necessary to protect the people and possessions that were being guarded?

The stand that Christians take in rejecting magic and weapons as tools of protection may seem foolish in the eyes of those who do not know God. The Bible, however, assures us: “He that is trusting in Jehovah will be protected.” (Proverbs 29:25) While Jehovah protects his people as a whole, he does not intervene in every case to shield his servants from robbery. Job was outstandingly faithful, yet God allowed marauders to plunder Job’s livestock, with loss of life to the attendants. (Job 1:14, 15, 17) God also permitted the apostle Paul to experience “dangers from highwaymen.” (2 Corinthians 11:26) Nonetheless, God teaches his servants to live by principles that reduce the risk of robbery. He also equips them with knowledge that helps them to react to robbery attempts in ways that will reduce the likelihood of injury.

• TD
    TD

Greetings Asleif,

JW's are not considered "exemplery" if they hold a profession that involves carrying a gun. Male JW's will not be "used" in the congregation. (cf. W84 3/1 pp.13-15)

Although the JW organization does seem to accept the usual popular misconceptions and ignorance when it comes to handguns and frowns on gun ownership of any kind, there is no formal rule forbidding handguns.

Paradoxically, there are segments of the JW population that write all of this off to an "Eastern seaboard mentality." There are plenty of JW's here in AZ with large collections. One of the nicest pistols I own (A Mark IV, Series 70 Colt) was obtained from a JW elder.

• VM44
    VM44

How does The Watchtower explain Simon Peter having a sword? --VM44

John 18:10

Simon Peter therefore, having a sword, drew it, and struck the high priest's servant, and cut off his right ear. The servant's name was Malchus.

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

Wow.

Isn't it funny how I can still be surprised that some of the stuff we were taught and told was "policy" everywhere was just a regional or local thing? My husband was told he couldn't get baptised as long as we had a shotgun in the house.

This was in rural Nebraska, not an Eastern urban area!

I guess the one constant is, small people will have power in the org, and run their petty kingdoms...

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

And yes, Chris, that makes you a pretty sorry Texan

You should have at least a six-shooter and a gunbelt to go with that big hat

To me they are a tool if needed, a fun hobby, and a connection to my family.

I have my grandpa's 1955 Ruger Standard pistol, and recently got to handle my Great-grandfather's shotgun!

• TD
    TD
    Isn't it funny how I can still be surprised that some of the stuff we were taught and told was "policy" everywhere was just a regional or local thing?

LOL, That's so true. I was told by a Bethel insider that the 1984 articles precipitated an outcry among JW hunters, especially in the U.S. and Canada.

This resulted in one of their contrived, "Questions From Readers" a year or two later that explicitly stated that ownership of firearms for hunting purposes was a conscience matter that would not disqualify one from holding a position in the congregation. There was even a picture of two individuals holding autoloading shotguns. (They appeared to be Remington 1100's)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit