She's Back! With a question about guns & JWs

by asleif_dufansdottir 63 Replies latest jw friends

• bronzefist
    bronzefist

Gun ownership is a conscience matter (2006). How much flak you receive depends on your location and the BOE. I've been at congregations where elders are hunters and there is no pressure from them if you own a handgun or rifle. I'm currently at a congregation where the rank and file will give you there negative opinion much like the papa poster. At my present congregation I get marked by some if I mention I love guns.

If guns were banned people who want to kill others would use something else...like the woman who drowned her kids in the bathtub. Would the world be a safer place if there were no bathtubs???

• juni
    juni

Yes Bronzefist. The world would be safer w/o bathtubs. Do you know how many injuries and deaths are due to slippage in the tub??

I don't either really, but I believe shower stalls are the safest for the American public.

Juni

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos
    I have two 1911s (colt .45s)

Hey Richie!

Seeing that it's a FEDERAL FELONY for anyone under 21 to posess a handgun, it might not be such a good idea to advertise it on the internet

• Justice-One
    Justice-One

WRONG. It is against the law for someone under 21 to buy a handgun from a licensed DEALER. Anyone over the age of 18 can own a handgun. For instance a father could give one to his son, or it could be bought from a private party. State laws may vary. http://www.building-tux.com/dsmjd/rkba/gun_show_sales.htm Look at the 2nd sentence in the 2nd paragraph.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

Justice-One is correct. I can't purchase a handgun, but I can possess one.

And to the Pizza guy, Just get over it man. In the little scenario you give, it always about doing it yourself or calling the cops. You know why people call the cops?? Cause they have guns.

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will own guns.

• undercover
    undercover

How did I miss this thread?

RR welcome back...why aren't you at the W/S coliseum partaking in the spiritual nourishment provided by the WTS?

I grew up a JW and we owned guns. Rifles, shotguns, handguns. When the WTS had a couple of articles on gun ownership back in the 70s(?) there were some in the congregation that gave them up. Actually most didn't even own them. My parents were divided over it. My mom wanted them gone but my dad didn't...so they stayed. Everytime my dad took me shooting, my mom fumed.

I don't know what the current teaching is but back when I was in, owning a gun was frowned on. The only way a JW was supposed to own one was if they relied on hunting to feed their family. Outside of that, it was basically a no-no. However, those who owned them didn't advertise it and no one really asked, so it was kind of like a lot of things in dub world...don't ask, don't tell.

• Justice-One
    Justice-One

RR, you can buy one....just not from a licensed FFL dealer. This is Federal law. YMMV when it comes to state laws.

BTW, congrats on having TWO 1911's. They are the best. (I'm a Springfield man myself.) When I was at Gunsite, that is just about all you would see. Hell, if it was good enough for Jeff Cooper, it's good enough for me! BTW, that week at Gunsite, I put 1000 rounds through my 1911 without so much as a stovepipe. I now have over 4000 rounds through her, and she has never once let me down.

• Justice-One
    Justice-One

Could someone please show me where I said Papa would support wife beaters??? Papa has been harrasing me via email, telling me I need to apologize for this. He REALLY needs to get a grip.

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos
    Justice-One is correct. I can't purchase a handgun, but I can possess one.

That's pretty convoluted, but upon investigation I agree.

I have the Dillon 1050 set up right now for 9X25 and the Dillon 550 for 38 Super. I was raked over the coals by the Elders because of the handguns. Benelli M1 Super 90 Shotguns, AOK, AR-15 check no problem, M1A again no big deal but handguns are considered to be of no value except for people shooting. They spent a long time ascertaining whether I slept with one in the hope that a burglar would enter so I could shoot him (Intent) I was allowed to publish while owning them and the issue went away when I was switched to another congo

• Justice-One
    Justice-One

The Elders had a fit over my concealed weapons permit, but could do nothing about it. Go figure these morons a battle rifle (M1A) is OK, but a handgun is not? BTW, I have a Springfield M14/M1A with a TRW trigger group and a GI barrel made by H&R in 1962. It is a real tack driver and will hit man sized targets out to 600 meters....from position. Maybe we should start a "gun-nut" thread, what do you think? I think I will go ahead and do it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit