She's Back! With a question about guns & JWs

by asleif_dufansdottir 63 Replies latest jw friends

• Justice-One
    Justice-One

I checked out your other thread. Considering that you lump responsible gun owners in with every other known deviant you could think of, I think I'm through wasting my time with you. You seem live in a dream world, and act as if you are heavily medicated. I notice you live in Utah?....I would think you would be happier in Berkeley California.

• Justice-One
    Justice-One

Personally I do not live my life in fear. I do not fear floods, I prepare for them. I do not fear hurricanes, I prepare for them. I do not fear earthquakes, I prepare for them. I do not fear bad men, I prepare for them. If you want to live in fear, more power to you. But since you fear guns, I can only assume that you also fear cars, hammers, baseball bats, screwdrivers, and for that matter marshmellows, (they have killed you know) and most other things in our day to day lives. It must be a real drag. BTW, peace love and dope to you too.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    One more quick thing. Fear of guns is a good thing. The bold who don't fear guns are usually the ones who get shot. Out of fear, many people keep putting bigger locks on their doors and protect their families. Which is why I don't see the point in saying that I have too big a fear of firearms, when the very people who claim to be buying them for protection, must be afraid of a possible robbery or home invasion? Perhaps fear is the center of this? I don't know everything. But I do know how to keep a conversation to a calm discussion and not start with the badgering. And I certainly didn't see this thread going there. I think we can be civilized... Please don't shoot me! With love, John

A reasonable fear of guns can be a good thing. Irrational fear of anything is never constructive. Hmm, the bold usually get shot? Were you bold with no fear? I wonder how many here have been shot. Fear has nothing to do with my ownership of firearms. I like them, plain and simple. I like shooting them--I like target practice. Am I to assume you're not going to answer my question in my previous post?

• John Doe
    John Doe
    To be honest the 2nd Amendment nor any of the amendments don't grant you shit in this corrupt world. If the government don't like you, they are gonna come and a taka away you a housa. They are a legal mafia. They do what they want. That piece of paper is there to blind the symbol minded into thinking they have something over others in the world. That piece of paper is really bupkis today in this corporation we live in. America is not a country. It's a corporation. The constitution was designed for when it was a country... Wake up and smell the java... With tough love, John

One very important reason for firearm ownership is to prevent the government from doing as you say.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Excuse me but like I said, the government is bigger then any John Doe (no pun intended) and his gun. They usually show up in hordes of 36 or more, with bullet proof vests, tear gas, tazers, batons, megaphones, and battering rams. I really don't think Yosemite Sam and his rootin tootin two gun belt will protect his home from the Gestapo.

So, you see the government as a bully? Tell me this, do you think a bully will be more apt to attack someone with or without a weapon.

• dvw
    dvw

papa john, it doesnt matter what an object is "designed" to do. fists can be deadly weapons. a small unarmed woman would be no match for any man wanting to do her harm. a gun could save her life. i hope you never are a victim of a home invasion, but if you are, i think you should be passive and sit idley by as the intruder(s) do what they will to your loved ones.

ps. you probably think the martial arts should be outlawed. they were infact developed to do harm.

that's a good little dubbie

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir
    No I dont' fear cars, (snip) You know why? Because cars are made for driving and helping people get somewhere,

It doesn't matter *what* something was "made" for, it can still be very dangerous. People are hurt or killed every day because they become complacent about how dangerous cars can be.

More people are hurt and killed by automobiles than they are by guns owned by responsible and law-abiding people.

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

My non JW father taught me to shoot at an early age with a S&W model 41 (.22) and one of two Colt .45's that he owned. Some of my favorite childhood memories are Sunday afternoons at the shooting range with him.

Currently, I'm licensed in the state of OH to carry a concealed weapon legally. I don't make it to the range as often as I would like to now-a-days but I take comfort in the fact that I have the ability to protect myself and my family, lethally if need be. I am the proud owner of one of my father’s Colts (Mark IV Government series as a previous poster mentioned), which I plan on passing along to one of my sons when the time is right and a S&W CS40 that I carry on a daily basis.

Two weeks ago a CVS pharmacy located about three blocks from my house got robbed at gunpoint. The gunman grabbed another customer and used them as a human shield in an attempt to escape the situation as the police were just across the street when he began his offence. Fortunately the innocent bystander was able to break free from the gun man without getting killed. The gun man then turned his fire arm on the police and was killed when the police shot him.

I’m relaying this true story because although a fairy tale land in which guns were never invented is a noble idea, it is a physical impossibility. Guns do exist and have very useful and practical applications. Gun laws and restrictions only keep law abiding citizens from access to them. Criminals will always have guns. They are criminals for a reason; they have no respect for authority, laws or human life and will carry guns illegally without fear of repercussions. New York (as mentioned) and Washington DC have some of the strictest gun laws in the nation and the some of the highest crime rates to go along with them.

The US Supreme court has already ruled that as an individual you have no “right” to protection from police. Their duty in general is to society as a whole. When you find yourself at the wrong place at the wrong time I only hope that you’re as fortunate as the individual at the CVS who was lucky enough to have the police right across the street and to get away with your life. Otherwise you can dial 911 on your cell phone and wait for assistance from someone who has no legal obligation to assist. I’d rather use my constitutional rights to self govern and protect my self, family and property how I see fit.

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir
    The US Supreme court has already ruled that as an individual you have no “right” to protection from police.

I'm glad you mentioned that. I can never remember the details of that case, so I'm always hesitant to bring it up. If I recall, a woman heard intruders break into her house, and called 911. Apparently she didn't sound hysterical enough and they decided it wasn't a big deal, and didn't bother to show up The man who broke in found her hiding in the closet and raped and beat her. She sued the police department for choosing not to respond, it went all the way to the Supreme Court, and she lost.

Do I have that right?

Think about that the next time you think, "I'll just call the police if somebody breaks in"

• Justice-One
    Justice-One

Don't ya just love people that spit on our Constitution and our country in general? True, neither may be perfect, but they are the best this planet has to offer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit