What is the most objectionable thing you have heard off the platform?

by restrangled 37 Replies latest jw friends

• evergreen
    evergreen

Well ive heard quite a few. But one which i mentioned a while ago was when our presiding overseer, a bethalite in london mentioned that a Brother could be disfelloshipped for a having a platonic relationship with a woman. He was obviously meaning a relationshp whereby visiting each other could lead to immorality etc.

But the way he put it was " a brother can be dis fellowshiped for having a woman as a friend" and didnt explain what he was meaning. If you were a longtime witness that understood what he was trying to say you would actually know where he was coming from, but what the hell newcomers would have made of that is beyond me, paticularly the woman that had come along for the first time that day to hear his public talk. That was the last i seen of her.

The other one was not from the platform, but just as we were about to go out into the ministry for the COs visit. Our CO at the timetime was quit a character and i must admit i liked him, because he was very down to earth and could have you on the edge of your seat with his talks and his anecdotes.

The prayer had just been said and the room was filled mainly with Sisters. I cant exactly remember the flow of the conversation as it was quite a few years ago. But he was standing up and there was the usual banter going on and he suddenly came out with refering to someone "grabbing his lovehandles" whilst doing an Elvis pelvic thrust. I remember the look on some of the sister faces. One sister i will never forget was so stunned at what he said her eyes almost popped out of her head and her jaw just about hit the floor.

I actually thought it was well funny, but even i was taken aback at what he said at the time. But then looking back, the guy was just a character and cant think of anyone who will ever fill his shoes.

• Quandry
    Quandry

About twenty three or so years ago a number of teenagers were disfellowshipped and some publicly reproved. After the meeting, apparently someone hugged one who was publicly reproved. At the next service meeting, an elder gave a talk and stated that this had happened. He then said this was wrong and, making a face, said, "Would you put dirty underwear on your head?"

I remember asking my husband since we are not supposed to know why a person was disfellowshipped or reproved, why would we automatically think the person had done something perhaps "dirty" in some way? I just thought that this was a disgusting remark to make to the entire congregation and really embarrasing to the one who had hugged a person, because I'm sure she was just trying to help the person to feel that she loved them.

• evergreen
    evergreen

The Elders seem to get some kind of pleasure out of humiliating people. It is not enough to reproof them publically, they then have to spell out in chapter and verse what exactly that Bro or Sis got up to at he next Local needs!!!

• Mary
    Mary

Worst thing I heard was at the Circuit Assembly about 10 years ago. The DO was whining about brothers not leaving their money to the Borg when they die. He gave the example of one brother who was not married, had no children and when he died, he left $100,000 to the Humane Society. Far from praising the deceased brother for doing this, the DO was disgusted and said "...I guess you could say his money went to the dogs..." I couldn't believe he actually said that.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

that homo sapiens are only about 6000 years old.

sheesh! good thing we are over that now, hey?

TS

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I never felt anything was objectionable until I had already started having my own doubts about the jw's alltogether.
    The morning of my last meeting, a remark was made from the platform about how we shouldn't watch dramas on primetime t.v. I got up and walked out after that since I felt capable of separating entertainment from my real life actions.

He said the city got tired of it and decided to clean it up by getting "the blacks" out of the neighborhood.

"Excuse me?! Did you just say...???" 1960's hose spraying of "the blacks" automatically comes to mind. Oh my....

I wish Bring in Da Noise, Bring in Da Funk was around then, I could say to him "You know there is hip hop made with spoons, so your metaphor is really quite outdated".

LMAO!!

• blondie
    blondie

I went to a circuit assembly where:

1) Kissing a non-JW spouse was compared to kissing a corpse

2) That we were like baby elephants chained to a stake that were conditioned not even to try and get away once we became adult elephants able to pull up the stake

3) That God had no use for dirty pennies and would only pick up nice, shiny quarters.

Blondie

• Scully
    Scully

One District Overseer, describing why Jehovah's Divine Justice™ required that "so-called innocent children" of Worldly People™ deserved to die at Armageddon™, even though they had never had an opportunity to Come Into The Truth™:

You might go to a pet store some time and see adult rats with a litter of baby rats, and think to yourself how cute and adorable the baby rats are. But they're still rats. And Jehovah, as the custodian of the earth, has every right to exterminate vermin that would contaminate his Paradise™. As I recall, this comment was followed by loud applause.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Blondie,

I have come to respect anything you write here, but it I am floored at what you just posted! Where and when was that stated? Just curious.

r.

• blondie
    blondie

About 3 1/2 years ago, restrangled. The kissing corpse one was said by DO and a couple of others on JWD heard him say it at another assembly.

It was a wonderful assembly.........my last one..........my last meeting.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit