Please explain how disfellowshipping is a loving gesture

by McKafka99 58 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Warlock

Dismembered

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Pedophilia is sexual attraction toward children. Child molestation is a different (and in some ways darker) animal altogether. Pedophilia can sometimes be affected by castration, but child molestation isn't usually about the sex act, it is usually about power.

There is really only one way to keep an adult who craves power over children from harming them. Keep them away from children and keep children away from them.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The reason it is loving if the "truth" is true is because it may save a life. If it is not the "truth" then it has no such power. I do not intend this to be hurtful, it is simply a statement of the obvious.

And obviously I don't believe it is the "truth", but that does not deny that those who believe it is the "truth" practice disfellowshipping largely for the best of motives.

Slim

• jambon1
    jambon1

The equivelent to this action in the bible is stoning a loved one to death.

Its one of the reasons why I have stopped considering religion as a viable option at the moment. In one way or another it is ALL tainted with harsh extreemism.

Not for me.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

That cannot be explained because it isn't a loving gesture at all. It's just one of the more extreme and cruel rules that the wts impose on their followers.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Little Toe,

How can it make sense that you have rejected a religion because it is not liberal enough in as much as it maintains one should not speak to members who have been excommunicated;

Yet you retain faith in a sacred text that describes god-ordained stonings for those who commited similar sins in ancient times?

One might as well ask "Please expain how stoning is a loving gesture" - but I won't hold my breath for an answer on that one!

Slim

• parakeet
    parakeet

sbf:
    ***those who believe it is the "truth" practice disfellowshipping largely for the best of motives.***
    I think very few JWs actually believe DFing is an act of love; most get way too much pleasure out of shunning. That's why they go all out with the not-talking bit, even way past what the WTS says is necessary. When they can completely snub someone who's DFed or DAed, it makes them feel ever so superior and holy; it boosts them just a little farther up that spiritual ladder to Jehovah and confers upon them those wonderful, blissful feelings of certainty and glory. Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh! Better than crack. And their suppliers are available five times a week.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    those who believe it is the "truth" practice disfellowshipping largely for the best of motives.

Which does still not make it ethical, moral or right in any sense - at all. There are a heck of a whole lot of people in this world who believe a 'truth' and therefore engage in actions that while they claim to be lovingly or justly movitated, do little other than destroy people. There are cultures who claim the have the 'right' (which would be based on their own truth of culture/circumstance) to circumsize little girls. There are cultures and/or people who claim they have the 'right' to rape their young daughters in order to teach them the sex act. There are cultures/people that claim they have a 'right' to blow up a few hundred people in honour of their God. All of these 'rights' are no different than the 'right' JW's feel they have to shun people - all motivated by their own beliefs. Do I believe that it is acted on out of love? No. I believe that shunning is acted on out of fear. sammieswife.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Slim:
    Don't presume to know what I have faith in!!! Also, don't presume that you know why I rejected the WTS, either - it certainly had little to do with liberalness of religion!!! You know little and presume much - try getting off that high horse of yours and see the world from the perspective of the common man.

And obviously I don't believe it is the "truth", but that does not deny that those who believe it is the "truth" practice disfellowshipping largely for the best of motives.

Alternatively, maybe some do it because they're told they have to and/or are indoctrinated to believe that it's the only way to interpret the bible. There are many reasons that people do things.

Now I'm gonna head out for a nice bike ride on a gorgeous Scottish evening, maybe swing by a beach, and watch an Atlantic sunset...

...for no other reason than "because I can!"

• greendawn
    greendawn

Cordelia, DFing as practiced by the JWs is too crude and harsh a punishment in most instances, to attract ex JWs back to their org. In a reasonable organisation that sort of behaviour would be showed to the worst sort of unrepentant sinners and I am thinking about murderers, brutal rapists, adulterers that incite others to do likewise.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit