Please explain how disfellowshipping is a loving gesture

by McKafka99 58 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Warlock
    Warlock

Fleur,

Yes, I agree with you, and I know of a couple of cases where the molester admitted what they did, and they were not disfellowshipped. My point is if disfellowshipping was used in the proper way, it would be a loving gesture.

So instead of the abused being kicked out, the abuser should be kicked out. The reporting of crimes to the authorities goes without question.

Warlock

• Fleur
    Fleur

thanks for the clarification, Warlock...

So instead of the abused being kicked out, the abuser should be kicked out. The reporting of crimes to the authorities goes without question.

Warlock

Yeah, that's the way it's supposed to work. But like most things in life, it's one thing in theory and another in practice...and unfortunately there are people who have also been df'd for reporting to the authorities. Elders don't do it even in states where it's required. Sickening.

essie

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    I'd like to try to comprhend it.

If you can understand the feelings that go along with loathing, condemnation, rejection, death and control - then you comprehend the action. This is the biggest single whip that the Watchtower snaps at it's members in order to keep them in line. Most people are too scared of living in a world without familiarity and some sort of security and that usually can be found in family, no matter how dysfunctional. So they stay because the known is less scary than the unknown. It is abuse. Clear and simple. It has been to this point, an abuse that is condoned by the legal system and our own governments because of their refusal to acknowledge the destruction it causes. When family shuns you completely, they tell you that they must do this because thats what Jehovah wants them to do. They haven't caught on that the guy writing the script lives up the road and flushes the toilet just like they do..they aren't God but some old guys TELLING them that they are. You could beat your wife, steal, lie, cheat, be greedy..you could do anything and they would still love you and support you..but if you are disfellowshipped, only then will they cut you out of their life. What that means is quite simply, that the only real love and loyalty they feel is to the Organization and they give all their energy to it. If forced to make a choice, most JW's will choose the Society over any single person. sammieswife.

• Fleur
    Fleur

I forgot to comment in my earlier post how sad the story of the young woman's suicide makes me...I've lost some friends to suicide after df'ing...one of them if I'd only known he'd been df'd I'd have called him right up to try to talk him through it, I could've told you he could never stand being cut off from his family.

It's such a senseless and worthless way for a person to die :( But JW's keep people so isolated that they think they're the only ones who've ever gone through it. Thank whatever powers or forces there may be for the Internet.

essie

• godsgraceisfree
    godsgraceisfree

Hello everyone. I am new to this site and have come here to hopefully help and at the same time be encouraged by you. I am a christian and I believe in the devine nature of God. Not only do I know this from biblical truth but I know because of my personal relationship with Christ. I have a testimony of what God has done in my life and in the lives around me; it is evident. If you ask most JW's about their testimony they will have a hard time finding one. Disfellowshipping in my own rational thinking is "unloving" Jesus would not do that to someone. He is always there for us and does not shun us. If the whole point of our Christian walk is to be like Christ then the practice of shunning is not biblical nor loving. Hate the sin but love the sinner. Biblical reasons for not shunning. 1 Peter 4:7-11 (niv) 7 The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray. 8 Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. Mark 12:28-34 28 One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, "Of all the commandments, which is the most important?" 29 "The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. 30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' 31 The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these."

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    warlock: It is a loving gesture to the Cong. when the disfellowshipped one is a child molester, don't you agree?

No, I don't agree. But my disagreement is not without reason. If the person is later reinstated but never criminally incarcerated for the crime the congregation may never know why the person was disfellowshipped. Note how Jehovah's Witnesses are to treat reinstated ones:

*** w98 10/1 p. 17 Imitate Jehovah’s Mercy ***
    “CONFIRM YOUR LOVE FOR HIM”
    Regarding the expelled wrongdoer who had manifested repentance, Paul told the Corinthian congregation: “I exhort you to confirm your love for him.” (2 Corinthians 2:8) The Greek word translated “confirm” is a legal term meaning to “validate.” Yes, repentant ones who are reinstated need to sense that they are loved and that they are once again welcome as members of the congregation.
    We must remember, however, that most in the congregation are not aware of the particular circumstances that led to a person’s expulsion or to his reinstatement. In addition, there may be some who have been personally affected or hurt—perhaps even on a long-term basis—by the wrongdoing of the repentant one. Being sensitive to such matters, therefore, when an announcement of reinstatement is made, we would understandably withhold expressions of welcome until such can be made on a personal basis.
    How faith-strengthening it is for those who have been reinstated to know that they are welcomed back as members of the Christian congregation! We can encourage such repentant ones by conversing with them and enjoying their fellowship at the Kingdom Hall, in the ministry, and on other appropriate occasions. By thus confirming, or validating, our love for these dear ones, we do not in any way minimize the seriousness of the sins that they committed. Rather, along with the heavenly hosts, we rejoice in the fact that they have rejected the sinful course and have returned to Jehovah.—Luke 15:7.

How very different from the situation that a First Century Christian would have faced:

1 Timothy 5:20 — Reprove before all onlookers persons who practice sin, that the rest also may have fear.

EVERYONE would have known what the molester was accused of and would have witnessed his or her correction. It is not whether they disfellowship a molester that is at the crux of the matter, it is whether they inform the congregation of the nature of the wrongdoing. Whether or not a molester ever holds another position of responsibility, if the congregation is not informed they are not protected.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• Cordelia
    Cordelia
    it is lov
  • Warlock
    Warlock

A.S.

Read my 2nd post.

Warlock

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I the "truth" were true, it would be a loving gesture. If the "truth" is not true then it is an empty one.

I find that this topic, like so many on this forum, misses that central point.

Slim

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Why is it hard to believe that Christianity was a cult from its inception? That is has in some quarters become something more tolerent and humane is a positive development.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit