Good News no GREAT NEWS!!!

by Lady Lee 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    Interesting you call your power "hydro" - here we'd have to call it "gas" or "coal".

I've lived in 3 Canadian provinces and most of our electricity came from a water source. In Canada has expanded to refer to all electricity regardless of the source. Canada is rich in water suppy and much of that enenrgy from water is used to create energy.

Gas and oil are also used but oil is never used (at least where I have lived) to power lights. Gas stoves, ovens, dryers and heat are available so if a person has gas appliances they may be on a gas bill buut the lights and electrical sockets are all water based power.

But I'd love to be able to call it "nuke", if only to get hippies like UncleBruce hyperventilating.

Ontario is a nuclear province and has has nuclear energy for at least 40 years. But the bill for this would go on a hydro-electric bill and not gas or oil.

What's the deal with public transport for pensioners in your neck of the woods?
    They pay half fare. Many of our cily buses have the ability to "kneel". The front of the bus can be lowered a few inchhes to assist people onto and off of the bus. For those of us who are in wheelchairs or use walkers the bus can kneel and open a ramp (lower the front of the bus andunfold a ramp) to allow us to roll onto the bus. If the person is in a wheelchair there are seats that flip up and provide a parking spot for the chair. It's really great although in the winter the ramps sometimes freeze and I have to wait for the next bus
  • Stephanus
    Stephanus
    It's really great although in the winter the ramps sometimes freeze and I have to wait for the next bus

That must suck! And doesn't having to wait another 15 minutes or so in the Canadian cold kind of defeat the purpose of these amenities - to deliver you comfortably and safely to your destination?

For those of us who are in wheelchairs or use walkers the bus can kneel and open a ramp (lower the front of the bus andunfold a ramp) to allow us to roll onto the bus.

Way ahead of us here! For someone in a wheelchair to board a train here, the station attendant has to remove a ramp from a special locked cabinet on the station, unfold it, set it up when the train arrives, and assist the person onto the train if necessary.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

We have alight rail train that goes from the south end of the city to the north. It is a drive right on. The platform where everyone waits is level to the door so there are no stairs at all. I just drive in and roll into the parking spots for those of uis in wheelchairs.

When I left my husband in 2004 I was tempted to go back to Montreal but I hated the whole political problem so chose Ottawa which is 2 hours away by car. But they don't have the same level of accessibility that Ottawa has. I was so surpised to find all the services here that I need. It was an excellent choice.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Here is the website with pictures of the bus as it kneels

http://www.octranspo.com/acc_menue.htm

You will have click on the link Low Floor buses

http://www.octranspo.com/train_menue.htm shows the light rail

I'm surprised this isn't in most large cities. Perhaps I'm taking these things for granted

• KW13
    KW13

glad that worked out for ya LL

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Woohoo congratulations! Does this mean you'll be getting a lot of outside assistance?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    Does this mean you'll be getting a lot of outside assistance?

Not really. The main perk is the increase in income. I get the discount on transportation. Extra services such as personal help around the home (cleaning shopping, bathing etc) are assessed on the basis of need. A person can be disabled and still be able to work. The assistance might help them continue to work.

I don't really need those aides. Even if I had them my ability to work would still be very limited due to the chronic pain that we can't seem to deal with effectively enough for me to work.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit