Kia or Hyundai?

by confusedjw 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• barry
    barry

I try to not buy anything I cant pronounce , personally I like Holden

• Dansk
    Dansk

The best thing to do is have a word with a number of mechanics in your area and ask their advice. Three separate mechanics in my area raved over Toyotas being the most reliable cars - so I bought one! Claire and I are well pleased with it and the after-service care has been brilliant (purchased it from a Toyota dealer).

Ian

• lost_light06
    lost_light06

If I HAD to choose I would go with Hyundai. While I'm not sure of the history of Kia, Hyundai has been around for decades not only as a auto mfg. but in many industrial fields (a lot like Daewoo, although they don't sell cars in the US anymore) . Hyundai was never a good car but it seems they have improved in the last few years. Kia??? not so sure about. They haven't been around in the US long enough to make comparisons. I would seriously consider buying a Japanese made auto though, even a used one, as you will be all but guaranteed a great car that will last forever.

• Lapuce
    Lapuce

Well I had a Hyundai Pony a few years ago, and it sucked back then, my sister got an Elantra and it sucked too... I would not touch any korean car, they are the equivilant of East-Germany's Trabants.

• juni
    juni

We were given a Kia 2-door puddle jumper as a loaner as my hubby's car was totaled out by a deer hit. Had it for a month. It was a horrible ride. Felt every crack in the pavement. I kid you not. They are not known for their endurance mechanically.

Gas mileage wasn't that wonderful for getting your butt smashed and back feeling it was ready to break in two.

We have an '02 Pontiac Bonneville 4-door fully loaded and we get 25mpg +. That's the average between highway and in town trips. It depends on what your personal needs are.

Take care of yourself and know that we think of you often.

Juni

• james_woods
    james_woods

One of my "personal vows" has been to never pass over a car thread without a pro-sports car remark or two...

However, one of my senior software engineers has the Kia 4-door for about 3 years now and there is absolutely nothing to complain about so far. I also am one who thinks Korean manufacture is vastly improved over the past - pretty good cars now IMHO.

If anybody wants an inexpensive sports car, though - I cannot say enough about the Mazda MX5 Miata (new or used). We have a 1999 as the wifes car, and after 7 years now and about 65,000 miles, nothing but regular scheduled service.

This is practically a miracle of biblical proportions compared with even the most expensive European sports cars.

James, of the looking for an old Ferrari class.

• juni
    juni

Hi James.

This year I had to sell my ' 95 5.0 Mustang GT conv. standard transmission so we had enough money to get a practical car w/o taking out a loan. I miss my baby. It was an excellent car. Always dependable as long as you had snow tires for the winter. Good heat and a/c. And POWER. Yes! I'm 5'4 so I fit in the bucket seats good; hubby is 6'2 and it was cramped for him. Love the Mustang.

Juni

• divejunkie
    divejunkie

I used to have a Hyundai and the experience was great.

Good gas mileage, low cost maintenance, and very dependable.

don't know anything about kia

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Thanks for the input folks. Consumer reports seems to like some to the Hyundai's and that is why we took a chance on the Santa Fe which has been great so far, but only gets 20mpg. It's AWD and a 6 cylinder

BUT the cars I don't know so much about. Reading user reviews of both the Kia Spectra 5 (which I drove and actually liked) and the Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback have been very very positive.

The resale value is supposed to be not good, but while at the HONDA place on Monday they were attempting to sell their Hyundai's for the same as their Hondas. For instance they had an 05 Elantra with 12,000 miles for $14,500 and the 06 new is $15,500. I quizzed them hard on this with no answer as they had already dumped on the Hyundai's resale value.

I try out the Elantra tonight. New 06 GT Hatchback, with leather, CD, Power everything, alloy wheels, 5/60 bumper to bumper, 10/100,000 power train, 7/unlimited rust and 5/unlimited roadside assistance - for $13,393 So the whole time it's being paid for the car will be under warrantee.

But I really did love that KIA Specta 5

• james_woods
    james_woods

Juni - to be honest, I get asked at work by people all the time "what kind of car should I buy". Because, they know I am a car nut. And, I am usually ashamed of the answers I come up with...

I have learned, like you say, that my own personal taste in cars is so specialized that I am giving out worthless advice if it is on a van, a practical 4door, even say a pickup. I confess that I would not want any of those little 4-door practicality jobs myself. I don't even own a car with a back seat, let alone a van or a 4door.

However - I did call friend Mike, and he says he got this Kia Spectra brand new for just over 10K about 3.5 years ago, and it had 6 year bumper to bumper warranty, as well as 10 year powertrain. It has 60000 miles now, runs fine, and no repairs out of warranty. He is also a reasonably cool car guy, has a Jeep CJ, and is rebuilding an old El Camino. He just wanted something new and trouble free to take to work here.

And, let me also say - I don't really care if my car is new. I would much rather wait until the car I want gets old and unwanted by everybody else, and then expend unreasonable maintenance just to have it.

James, who really is trying to trade his 2004 Z06 Corvette for a 1987 Ferrari Testarossa.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit