Kia or Hyundai?

by confusedjw 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Kia Spectra 5 or Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback?

Any experience with either of these cars? They both drive great and are much more affordable than the Honda and Toyotas. We own a Hyundai Santa Fe and love it.

How about Kia's and Hyundai's in general? Have you owned one?

http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/kia_spectra5_base_2006/18543/style_overview.html;_ylt=Ao5FAD8z5SA_lH.CYkpH1hwNW8QF

http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/hyundai_elantra_gt5door_2006/18658/style_overview.html;_ylt=AkClw_8NJcimjVLn8TtxjtGYeb8F

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

My advice: really check out the mpg claims that Hyundai put out. Mrs Ozzie has a Hyundai and it's fuel consumption stinks! no better than a tank.

• Kudra
    Kudra

I've had friends that have bought both: cheaply made, all.
    Can you get a used Toyota? Great cars and can be similar in size etc to the two you mentioned. Also, one that is only a few years old will be cheaper and still a fine reliable car.
    Personally I like my Ford Ranger.

• Poztate
    Poztate
    How about Kia's and Hyundai's in general? Have you owned one?

Never owned either vehicle. My last car was a Toyota that I bought from a dealership where the owner of the dealership was someone I knew quite well.

He confided in me that Hyundai's were the up and coming brand to watch. They had good quality and good price and they were starting to make Toyota and Honda a little nervous.

This is in Canada,the results down south might be a little different.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

We have a Hyundai Elantra - automatic - and its a rare occassion the we don't get between 32-37 mpg, depending on the number of hills we are travelling on. We are on the road for hours at a time and the car is actually pretty comfortable for being so small. We had a Kia Sedona van and were getting about 22 mpg and the ride was nasty on it. This was a brand new Kia 2004 and the Hyundai is also a 2004. I wouldn't go with a Kia again but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Elantra or a Sonata if I were looking for a car that size. Good luck! sammieswife.

• Highlander
    Highlander

Korean Vehicles are cheaply made, which is reflected in both the price and the quality.

most independent consumer reports rank kia as the poorest quality vehicle, whereas Lexus is the top rated vehicle for quality. Toyota follows after.

Yes, you get a good deal on a vehicle, but if you keep it past the warranty, you'll spend all that saved money on repair work and headaches.

If you trade it every 3-4 years, then I say go for it. If you get a junker from them(as most of them are) you'll still have the warranty, or Lemon Law to fall back on.

• ringo5
    ringo5

When they first came out my friend bought a Hyundia Excel (very cheap), and we used to tease her about her "Soon-Die"...

But they have improved a lot from those days according to all the reviews I have read, but Kia is not there yet...

• free2beme
    free2beme

Remember that MPG claims are based on a flat ground, no stop lights and no traffic. Basically, you will never get what they say in a normal driving day. The cars in question are cheap, you get what you paid for.

• Broken Hearted
    Broken Hearted

I love my 6 cylindar 2004 Kia Optima, Have had it a year, and you really can't beat the warranty. The only problem i have had it is like a magnet for people wanting to hit it. Only had it a month when a non english speaking gentleman that was driving a stick shift, could not drive and it rolled into the front of my car at the stop sign. 2 months later, I was backing out of a parking space and was parked next to this sign, well the sign was made out of this huge steel thing and well there was a piece sticking out you could not see and it ripped off my bumper was in tears, but friends husband fixed it, Yeah, fast forward to two more months and I am off work on Jan 2 minding my own business, at home car in parking lot at apartment complex, I go out to take a drive to my classroom to get ready for the kids return in a couple of days when I find a dent and huge hole on the driver side of my car Major tears, and even though I have insurance do not have the 500 deductable. : so it is now rusted, Then 2 months later again, was sitting at McDonalds drive through waiting on food when the person behind me just hits my car. Not sure what it is about this car, the old one i told people to hit it and never got a ding, UGH LOL

• prophecor
    prophecor

Hi CJW. I've driven both, working for Hertz. I love both cars but I'm really biased towards all Hyundais, especially the new Sonata, that strikingly looks very similar to a Honda. They're incredibly fast, they appear to be very reliable as far as Asian cars go. I very rarely see them in the shop line, except for the general maintanence, oil change and other minor things.

I really adore them. If I had a half a chance I'd go in for the new Azera. The flagship from Hyundai. Though they've got some refining to make up for in technology and the like, in a couple of years, when they've worked out all the bugs and spiffied it up a bit, they'll be looking to take on the likes of Nissan & Toyota. Though they've got a tall road to climb.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit