Studying the 'deep' books - it might be the final straw.

by jambon1 22 Replies latest jw friends

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

'Deep books' just bore most of the flock. The other minority find them to simply be a flight of fantasy.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

That Isaiah book was terrible. It was amazing to see people who had been to every single book study confused as to what the book of Isaiah was all about. It was crazy. Like my wife allways says "Each week Assyria was attacking, every single week!" People dont realize that they want something better when they are JW. The information is bad, but since they have been told its a sin to think that way, they keep going along with it.

• under_believer
    under_believer

"Deep" is usually coded language meaning "impossible for anybody to understand." Most Witnesses feel this way.
    I think this is deliberate--for a lot of Witnesses, it's a faith STRENGTHENER. It increases their faith in the Society--if the Governing Body understands this stuff, they must be REALLY smart.

• James Free
    James Free
    "Deep" is usually coded language meaning "impossible for anybody to understand." Most Witnesses feel this way.

I think this is deliberate--for a lot of Witnesses, it's a faith STRENGTHENER. It increases their faith in the Society--if the Governing Body understands this stuff, they must be REALLY smart.
    Most of the deep books tied my brain in knots.

Yes, most Witnesses do indeed feel that way.

That's why the WT make most of their literature so simple a five year old child can read it. And studying those books was very painful to anyone with any intelligence.

As for the criticism of Ray's writing - perhaps he can make a Marvel Comic Book version especially for those unable to comprehend grown-up writing.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Lol - amount of times I've heard 'deep' in the same sentence as the Society's literature. I think it's a way of re-inforcing in the R&F that the End is nigh if the Revelation Book is studied now. It also keeps the R&F in awe of the FDS - 'they understand things far beyond our reasoning'.

• evergreen
    evergreen

Its funny when you think back. I was so excited about studying the Rev book and took it all in the first time as i was only a spring chicken int the org at the time. But the second time they went through it about 96/97 am i correct. I was taking the study quite a lot and therfor had to make sure and prepare well.

The one thing that struck me most (and this is about 5 years before when i was a fairly strong JW) were the dates. Some of it was just plain farcical and i actually felt guilty for feeling like that at the time.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Deep generally means "how do we force something that referred to 2 or 3,000 year old events to a Watchtower application."

forced = contrieved = faith destroying for anyone interested in truth.

• metatron
    metatron

Studying the Revelation book again is a mistake. Forget about doctrine - most Witlesses are just bored out of their minds by it -

and that is affecting book study attendance.

metatron

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    As for the criticism of Ray's writing - perhaps he can make a Marvel Comic Book version especially for those unable to comprehend grown-up writing.

Good or "grown up" writers know that you should make your point with as few well chosen words as possible. Have you taken any college composition classes? Have you ever taken an essay class? This is one of the most important writing concepts you will learn. If you make your sentences too wordy, you will lose your reader. They will have to reread sentences and paragraphs to grasp what you are saying. That is not a hallmark of good writing.This has more to do with lack of training than it does to do with depth. That's why people who aren't the most talented writers employ co-writers and editors to help refine their writings. Ray is a wonderful guy, he just needs a good editor.

The Revelation Climax book was not written by Franz and it was a bit easier to understand.

• Warlock
    Warlock

I don't even know why they encourage 'deep study', because if you get too 'deep', you might leave the Org.

Warlock

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit