My Wife's reaction to the Revelation Book news

by under_believer 61 Replies latest jw friends

• under_believer
    under_believer

So, I told my wife about the July KM news that we'd be studying the Revelation book again. "Good," she said.
    "Good? How is that good?"
    "Because Revelation is an important book to study."
    "Fine, but I'm not going to a single one of those studies. I can't handle it."
    Evil eye. "Not in front of the kids," she whispers. And then: "But why not?"
    "Because that Revelation Climax book is nonsense! Come on, you KNOW it's nonsense. How much did you like studying the Isaiah and Daniel books?"
    A second's pause.
    "Well, it's not ALL nonsense."

• glitter
    glitter

We had a tiresome elder and a really quite nice sister over on on Sunday, and he "broke the news" that it's Revelation next. I cracked that maybe the Society could just issue stickers to cover up the Old Light...

They both thought that was a GREAT idea! LOL

• kristyann
    kristyann

I don't know much about the Revelation book... has it been studied a million times or something?

I understand all the Society's stuff is nonsense, but what in particular about this book makes it individually so ridiculous?

glitter... you joked about stickers being issued to cover up the old light. Do even the Witnesses themselves realize stuff in it doesn't make sense?

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

KristyAnn,

It was studied from 1989-1990, 1991-1992, and 1994-1996. It isn't likely you would have clear recollections of it.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul (of the "Thank God the Scars Weren't Permenant" class)

• kristyann
    kristyann

AuldSoul, thank you.

• Confession
    Confession

I remember moaning the last time we were told we'd be studying it again. I'd been acting as conductor a lot when an MS, then became an elder and regular book study conductor....BINGO...Revelation Book. (sigh) It really did seem to me that no one was absorbing the info. Just reading paragraphs, raising hands, then with furrowed brows, mouthing the same sentences in answer to pre-printed questions.

• Gill
    Gill

The sheep must be getting 'wayward' and 'mumuring' again! Must be time to bring out the scary stuff again!

I remember my kids having to do drawings for the last time the book was studied. So glad not to be into all that crap anymore!

Poor dubs! Must be beat the sheep time again!

• under_believer
    under_believer

The amusing thing, to me, about the conversation was that she fully acknowledges that some of it is nonsense; yet it's automatically "good" to study it again, and the fact that there is perhaps some sense in there somewhere makes it worthy to study, even though all the nonsense must be filtered.
    How many Witnesses are like my wife: mainly social Witnesses, with some vague, poorly-thought-out notions of faith and belief, and certain knowledge that the Society is shoveling at least some nonsense along with their "truth?"

• lucky
    lucky

I think I would have to kill myself if I were still in and had to study that book again. The only thing that got me through it the second (or third) time was coming up with a very complex, artistic underlining scheme that had absolutely nothing to do with the actual "answers" to the questions.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Ditto to what Lucky said about killing self if having to study that again. I was a conductor during those days and developed the skill of breaking down the study in units of pain.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit