Revelation-Its Grand Climax at Hand!

by XBEHERE 44 Replies latest jw friends

• jstalin
    jstalin

I look forward to a grand climax.

• Jourles
    Jourles

Yeah, it would be nice to know if they are "reprinting" this book for the new study. If it is, you can bet the changes will be firmly in place.

I seem to recall in years past that someone(WTS?, elders?) recommended getting a new book each time we studied the same publication. The reason given of course was because we couldn't get away with having it already looking like we studied for the bs. With a new book, you have to study it over again and underline the answers(to appear holier-than-thou than the rest of the losers). But the main reason was probably so that you would have to donate once again for a new book.

Does anyone else remember being told to get a new book as well? Was it WTS directed? Or was it a local thing?

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

In 1996, the Internet was 5 years old. A wee, lit-tle bairn.

In 1996, hardly anyone had heard of Yahoo! (1995) and no one knew Google (1998).

In 1996, the majority of the online community were still using 28.8 kbps modems, connecting over dialup at an average speed of 14-18 kbps, depending on the region and nearness to a hub. This was true although 56 kbps modems had been released for some time, through eprom flash upgrades for the 33.6 kbps modems.

In 1996, Web developers were still developing content based on 8 second load speeds for 14.4 kbps modems, anything more was seen as risking lost content viewers due to slow load times. Streaming what? Video? Hah, you're joking, right?

In 1996, the Internet was not a significant deterrent to the publication and promotion of baseless crap.

Things have changed a lot in 10 years. I can't wait for the study of that publication to begin. I believe this will be remembered as the worst mistake they ever made, until they aren't remembered by any but history books.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

Unfortunately I think most JWs will simply sit there and daydream for an hour and go home none the wiser after attending this bookstudy. The desire to question needs to be there first.... at least I found that to be the case with me.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Wouldn't it be helpful if we published a "comments you will not hear" or a "questions you will not hear" for the Revelation book? I bet a bunch of you ex-JW's have it on your shelf, annotated and everything.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I agree, XBEHERE. However the Information Superhighway has paved the way for a much more skeptical and Google oriented youth—I think we can all agree that the children are their future? (sorry , couldn't help myself)

Also, wives who used to dutifully ask their husbands about doctrinal points and concerns now have a point-and-click information resource they are already familiar with. Lastly, husbands who used to scour the Index and bound volumes for answers to nagging questions have an additional resource this time around.

Everytime the Society foists this crap on their flock they will lose another batch. The batches will grow larger because information is more easily accessible in private homes. Where it used to take people agonizingly long times to wake up, we now see people DA'ing or arranging to snag their publisher record cards after only a few weeks or months of searching. Often they are convinced it was an elaborate lie much faster than that.

Skepticism is waxing at a time when information is readily available to fuel that skepticism. This book is dangerous for them.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Interesting to note the date the 'faithful' start studying this again . . . . poor little April Fools!

• blondie
    blondie
    Yeah, it would be nice to know if they are "reprinting" this book for the new study. If it is, you can bet the changes will be firmly in place.

And you know there will certainly be JWs that will not get the new book using their old one that they have "studied" already. I remember that happening with the last time it was "studied." We kept our old books.

I remember too that happening with the Daniel book and finding out that the new book had changes.

Blondie

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

I can't believe they are going through a 20 year old book; I still got my old one I got back in 1988; but yeah like someone said earlier, it is an inventory matter. I never really thought of that until I read Ray Franz's book ISOCF.

• Gill
    Gill

Sadly sheep do not have the brains to register any changes in 'light'. Those who say anything are likely to me knocked back into place by the all knowing elders!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit