Should you try and call an old dub friend? What if you did?

by gumby 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I don't know about phoning old JW friends... but I've thought about sending an 'I'm thinking of you' type of card.

I even bought the card a couple of years ago. It still sits on a shelf... waiting for me to get the time/nerve up to send it.

I figure that I will someday... and I suppose that I will put my phone number, and address in it.

The only reason that I hesitate is that I know that they will misunderstand the card as a 'reaching out' trying to get 'back in' to the borg... which I have no interest in doing.

...and so, the card sits and collects dust.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Honesty
    Honesty
    He values his friendship with the cult a lot more than he values my frienship because he told me to eff off when I called him.

OUCH!!! I probably would have said something like: "now, now, (insert name) what would Jehoover think of that kind of talk?" and then hung up on his dumb ass. I'm sorry Honesty, it must have hurt like hell...........(offers her "broad" shoulder for support) LOL.......I can honestly say "been there, done that"!!!

Terri

(((((Terri)))) I just had to 'move on' because my friends are unconditional.

• Warlock
    Warlock

First of all, Mr. Gumboni, I checked the date of this thread just to make sure you are not up to your old tricks.

Second of all, GO FOR IT............WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO LOSE THAT ISN'T ALREADY LOST?

Warlock

• Quandry
    Quandry

Some people have written in and said that just maybe if you talked to your friend you could help them "see the light" about the W.T. I was thinking that up until a short time ago I would NEVER have looked at an "Apostate" web site or listened to anything from a former witness. But I will have to admit, that if a person I'd known well called me and told me about, say, the U.N. scandal-I would really have been tempted to look up the info on that web site. So, you never know.........

• Nellie
    Nellie

Funny, I called an old friend 2-3 weeks ago. To make a long story short, I read him the riot act about not being in touch, etc. He told me he had "heard things." I told him that he shouldn't be relying on "hearing things" that our relationship dated far enough back and was sooo close that he should have been verifying any concerns he and his wife had.

Advance to end: He apologized, told me I was right - said "we will always be friends" - acknowledged that he hadn't been acting like a friend - and promised to call back. He also said he would have his wife call me. You guessed it, I haven't heard from either one of them.

So - it's worth the effort - but go into it with your eyes open, not expecting much - just so you're not too disappointed.

• RR
    RR

I actually went into NYC to visit an old dub friend, he had no idea that I had left. hadn't seen him in some years. he knew I was into Watchtower history, and he asked me about my research and what I came up with, so I sat down and told him everything. The end result, he threw me out of his home and told me to never come back.

RR

• juni
    juni

I'm sure you've thought about this for awhile; it's not a snap decision. I think you should call if you want. Who knows? You might have a different story to tell us and that would be great!

Juni

• gumby
    gumby

After readin all this I'm gettin chicken. I wonder if I'd be hurt and it would make me realise something I didn't realise before....damn I'm a wuss. I'm gonna call the easy one first..the one I believe would talk the most.

Mary, I don't have their e-mail. My wife has the one guys but I wasn't going to mention it to her and can't ask for his e-mail.

Terri, great story. At least you found your friend still cared for you and felt for you.....but she had to "obey Jehovah". Perhaps you also planted some doubts in her former idea that you may have become a monster since leaving...and she found out you were the same person.

Warloc.....old tricks? Me? I outta dull your nutbag for that comment. Wheres my rubbing compound?

Gumby

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings Gumby,

Any chance you could wait 'til they call you? That's what's been happening to me. Ones I've not heard from in a while are now calling. They are out of dubdom though.

Dismembered

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    Terri, great story. At least you found your friend still cared for you and felt for you.....but she had to "obey Jehovah". Perhaps you also planted some doubts in her former idea that you may have become a monster since leaving...and she found out you were the same person.

Gumbers, I am and am not the same person. I have alot more self worth now than I ever did as a witness, for one. I am more of an educated and well rounded person, for two. The parts of me that have not changed are those that come from a loving heart...........that will never change. This has helped me alot, since I did this, I've gotten a tremendous surge of energy to tackle other situations in my life that have been on hold, so to speak. I would say call your friends, hon, you are strong enough, emotionally, and you will definitely benefit from it.

Hugs,

Terri

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit