Bicycling - A Dangerous Sport

by Lo-ru-hamah 82 Replies latest jw friends

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Share the road

Works both ways

• Princess
    Princess

I guess as a cyclist, I just see things differently. I get cut off regularly by motorists who don't share the road. Cars follow me and honk at me to move over when I can't safely do so. I have just as much right to ride my bike on the street as you do to drive your car.

It's scary as hell to have a car pull out in front of you causing you to lock up your brakes and hope like hell you don't get hit.

I can't believe you all condone her behavior when she said she was turning her car around to intentionally hit the cyclist. Of course the cyclist was wrong in riding illegally. Loruhamah did not do anything wrong to deserve getting cussed at, but the cyclist was scared at almost getting hit and he reacted badly and was horribly rude. Her attitude afterward was sickening. To laugh at someone who just got hit?

Share the road
    Works both ways
    Nice. I always liked you. Try riding a bike in traffic sometime and see how it feels.
    It is my profound hope that some motorist runs over your sorry ass one of these days.
    Jesus Christ. What the hell is wrong with you people?
  • Princess
    Princess
    Princess,

It is my profound hope that some motorist runs over your sorry ass one of these days.

You really are a bitch to have jumped on LRH that way.

U

Yes. You are right. I should get hit by a car and die and leave behind my husband of 18 years and my 8 year old daughter and 9 year old son. That would be "charma". Serves me right for jumping all over a 20 year old who admitted she was turning her car around to run over a cyclist who made her mad by cussing her out. Condone the road rage and wish me dead. I was just trying to show a little perspective from the other side. What was I thinking?

• Mulan
    Mulan

Everyone calm down...............PLEASE.

There is no need to go on the attack. If you have issues about cyclists, look up the laws where you live, and obey them. Several members of my family are cyclists, as well as one of my closest friends. I would hate to think they have to deal with hateful people like some of you when they are riding.

Remember the posting guidelines, or I will lock this thread.

To ensure all users feel safe and keen to participate, please avoid:
    1. Insulting, threatening or provoking language

• gumby
    gumby

Princess....I swear to god....I'm still sane dammit!.....I swear...and...and I still love ya! *runs away crying*

Man....what went wrong here?

Just want to give a hug to my buddies princess and her hubby

Gumby

• gumby
    gumby

I'm gonna change the subject and just come right out and say that my lazy ass would rather have sumthin with a motor. If it's like perfectly flat...I can do the bike thing....but none-a-that uphill crap. I could never find anyone who wanted to pick me up at the bottom of a hill.

Gumby

• Lo-ru-hamah
    Lo-ru-hamah

I would like to say that I have nothing against cyclists. I think that it is a great sport, one that I like to indulge in myself. I did not hit him, someone else did. I am glad that he was not hurt. However, after the incident was over I had to laugh becuase he was so incredibly rude. The cyclist was completely forgiving of the guy who did hit him, he didn't cuss at him, he didn't flip him off, he didn't scream at him, nothing. Meanwhile, he is still cussing at me. I relate the story and I get bashed on here, by Princess, because I had a completely human reaction to being treated like dirt. I realize he was scared, so was I, I nearly hit someone. That is not something that I like to do. And, for the record, I wasn't going to run him over, I was going to yell back at him to go get some lessons. I have never, up to this point in my life, been a violent person. Sometimes, though, I talk big. I appreciate that others here have recognized the situation for what it was and have understood my position. I regret that it has caused anyone anger at drivers.

The other day, I was riding my bicycle, and following the traffic laws. A person in a vehicle that was not following the law nearly hit me. I did not scream and cuss and flip this person off. I just rode on. He probably didn't even see me. I was able to move out of the way without incident. That is what happens when you ride on the road. You take your life into your own hands.

Loruhamah

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart
    If you have issues about cyclists, look up the laws where you live, and obey them.

And the cyclists need to do the same. We live in an area where there are a lot of cyclists and a lot of cars. On more than one occasion I've been at a stop light and saw something out of the corner of my eye: a cyclist coming up on my right side and staying parallel to me IN MY LANE so he/she could be first to make a right turn or go forward. That's scary. Or someone who doggedly does 25 mph in a 45 mph zone in the middle of a lane during rush hour traffic. I don't honk, I don't yell, but I do gnash my teeth because I, in my great big bad car, would like to do the speed limit and get to where I need to go and since it's rush hour and there are lots of cars around, going around the cyclist isn't always an option.

So, as Chris says, it works both ways. I look out for cyclists, but I expect them to respect the rules of the road as well.

Nina

• gumby
    gumby
    And, for the record, I wasn't going to run him over

That wasn't understood in your initial post. Frankly I was shocked by your statement also and wonered what the hell was wrong with you....your gonna run someone over? Ok ..now we all see, your not a killer. All people see on a forum are words and they interpret words as they see them stated. You messed up, that's all.....s'all good now... I hope.

Gumby

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart
    I could never find anyone who wanted to pick me up at the bottom of a hill.

Aw, Gumby, I'll pick you up anywhere!

Nina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit