Bicycling - A Dangerous Sport

by Lo-ru-hamah 82 Replies latest jw friends

• Lo-ru-hamah
    Lo-ru-hamah

So, on Tuesday afternoon I am driving in downtown Austin. There was this car in front of me that must have been lost and was completely stopped. I decided I did not want to keep waiting behind him. I put on my blinker and turned left, from a one way street onto a two way street. All of a sudden I hear this guy on a bicycle screaming at me. I was in the far left lane when I turned and he was passing me on the left. I didn't see him. I immediately said I am sorry man, I didn't see you. Well, he starts cussing me out profusely calling me a f***ing B**** over and over again. I got really MAD. So, in a blind rage I start to turn the car around to actually run him over this time for real and intentionally, when all of a sudden a car pulls onto the same road and runs the guy over. His bicycle is completely bent up and he gets up still yelling at me. He said it was my f***ing fault that this happened. He didn't even get mad at the guy who hit him. He was too busy yelling at me still.

I was sorry, I didn't see him but he broke the law. I had my blinker on and I was in the far left lane. When he got hit the by the other car he wasn't even watching me anymore. The stupid Lance Armstrong wanna be might want to learn how to ride a bicycle. It took a bit to calm down but afterwards I was able to have a good laugh about how karma works.

I love bicycling but I think that if you are going to ride on busy streets you need to obey the traffic laws just as much as everyone else.

Loruhamah

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Here in Texas - bicycles are now considered as 'traffic' - or vehicles - or whatever, and must abide by the same laws as you in your auto do.

Most however, don't.

Just like many motorcyclists that weave in and out of stalled traffic, just because they have narrower 'vehicles'. Very dangerous, both to them, and the other traffic.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Here in Texas - bicycles are now considered as 'traffic' - or vehicles - or whatever, and must abide by the same laws as you in your auto do.

Most however, don't.

It's the same thing here. I personally think that cyclists should have a seperate set of laws to abide by. They're essentially half traffic and half pedestrian. They're too slow and narrow to be considered normal traffic. They shouldn't be in the median lane with the rest of traffic. It's just too dangerous.

I personally think that cyclists should remain in the curb lane and abide by pedestrian laws when they need to make a "left turn" by waiting for the other light to turn green.

when all of a sudden a car pulls onto the same road and runs the guy over.

Stupid asshole deserved it.

• minimus
    minimus

I honestly thought this was a new Awake article.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I put on my blinker and turned left, from a one way street onto a two way street. All of a sudden I hear this guy on a bicycle screaming at me. I was in the far left lane when I turned and he was passing me on the left.

I love bicycling but I think that if you are going to ride on busy streets you need to obey the traffic laws just as much as everyone else.

As an ex-cyclist he most definitely was in the wrong. If he was going straight then he should have been on your right - your far right in the right hand lane. (I had to check to make you were in Canada or the US)

If he was turning left he should have been behind you but in a place where he could make sure you saw him (either in his side mirrors or in the rear-view mirror). As he turned onto the two way street he should move to the rear right side of your car so other cars don't hit him in the turn. And he should be using hand signals. I found very few cyclists even knew what hand signals are.

I have ridden in heavy traffic. I didn't do it often and the last time I did it I wound up over the handlebars. Heck you're an unprotected person sitting on a flimsy piece of metal (in comparison to a car) and think you are going to win a battle between you and a car? I don't think so.

I totally agree that many cyclists think they should take precedence over cars on the road.

But there are many who do follow the rules.

I now motor around on my wheelchair and some sidewalks are too dangerous. I will go on the road but use the cycling rules or sometimes use the pedestrain rules of facing the traffic.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    Stupid asshole deserved it.

My thoughts, too.

• bebu
    bebu
    I got really MAD. So, in a blind rage I start to turn the car around to actually run him over this time for real and intentionally,

Uuhhh, I really hope you were exaggerating here. Losing control and intending to hurt someone else is road rage. Don't go there.

(Riding dangerously like that, it was his own *.)

bebu

* "asterisk"

• FairMind
    FairMind

I ride a bicycle 300-400 miles a month, all on rails-to-trails. IMOP anyone who rides a bicycle on the streets is living on borrowed time,

• Lo-ru-hamah
    Lo-ru-hamah
    Uuhhh, I really hope you were exaggerating here. Losing control and intending to hurt someone else is road rage.

Na, but I am glad he got hit. He had it coming and he didn't get hurt just bent up his bicycle.

• Princess
    Princess

I ride my bicycle between 25-100 miles every time I ride, at least twice a week. I usually ride in traffic since one time on the rails-to-trails is plenty, after that it's mind numbing.

I find your post extremely disturbing.

I was in the far left lane when I turned and he was passing me on the left. I didn't see him. I immediately said I am sorry man, I didn't see you. Well, he starts cussing me out profusely calling me a f***ing B**** over and over again. I got really MAD. So, in a blind rage I start to turn the car around to actually run him over this time for real and intentionally,

Just the fact that you would consider doing something like this makes me think you are a f***ing B****. Yes, he was wrong for cussing you out but think about it from his perspective. You scared the living sh*t out of him (even though it may have been his fault) and he was just reacting. You have no idea what kind of stupid shit motorists pull around cyclists. It's not my fault they don't see me. I'm yelling to get their attention and waving an arm to make sure they see me and they still try to cut me off or pull out in front of me when I'm going 25mph down the street (which I have every right to do).

when all of a sudden a car pulls onto the same road and runs the guy over. His bicycle is completely bent up and he gets up still yelling at me. He said it was my f***ing fault that this happened. He didn't even get mad at the guy who hit him. He was too busy yelling at me still.

Well, he sounds like a jerk and from his perspective (which is totally skewed at this point) you started it. I'm not saying you did, it's just his bad reaction.

It took a bit to calm down but afterwards I was able to have a good laugh about how charma works.

It's "karma", and I think you are an ass to laugh at someone else's misfortune.

So do I. Unfortunately, we have to deal with total assholes who don't think we have any right to be there. Besides, how many motorists are obeying the traffic laws 100% of the time?

Share the road.

Rachel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit