Do we have non-Biblical evidence that Jesus Christ existed?

by Inquisitor 64 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gumby
    gumby
    Isn't it funny? So many people willing to sacrifice everything they have for works of fiction...

Yeah, and it's funny how 6 million people will die for the WTBTS....and it's funny how millions of Muslims will die for their faith too. If Jesus was the real deal, why did he have to depend on informing mankind of his existence through a book that he never himself instucted to be written? Why cannot he show himself in a way other than a book? ( yes I know...jesus has spoken to the hearts of a handfull here while shunning all the rest) Second hand information is a pisspoor way to validate your existence. Gumby

• Terry
    Terry
    Second hand information is a pisspoor way to validate your existence. Gumby

Is that an actual photo of you, Gumby?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gumby:But secondhand information is what we use to validate most things in life, from the newspapers to reviews about a car we have our eye on.

Why cannot he show himself in a way other than a book? ( yes I know...jesus has spoken to the hearts of a handfull here while shunning all the rest)

You also have your answer here, even if you do dismiss it through personal frustration.

Meanwhile ya just know you're not an atheist with all that wild hollerin ya do at night

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

Well, I say that based on the fact that Alexander lived between 350s & 320s BC. The earliest of the the five ancient historians is dated around the 50s BC. So there is quite a gap between them. A similar gap exists between Caesar & the ancient historians that chronicled his life. Hence the amount of legendary material that you must troll through to find the "real" history.

If you compare that with the Gospels, which are dated between 60 & 100 AD (depending on whom you believe), and the time of the alledged events, the time frame is quite small.

This is one of the evidences for a historical Jesus in my opinion.

• gumby
    gumby
    Gumby:

But secondhand information is what we use to validate most things in life, from the newspapers to reviews about a car we have our eye on.

True ....my heathen apostate good friend, but people do not die for, base their life upon, and direct their lives through these means as they do in christ. We're not comparin apples to apples here. Also...people get burned from false advertising and they expect they might get burned. I've bought many things on faith...only to be let down.

Terry...of course it's the real me....you think I'm that deceitful??? It looks like I ain't got a dinger in my pics....but I do, I promise.

Gumdinger

• hooberus
    hooberus

http://www.tektonics.org/jesusexist/jesusexisthub.html

• Highly reliable sources. There are two of these: Tacitus and Josephus.
    • Moderately reliable sources. We find three: Thallus, Pliny, and Lucian. For the matter of Thallus, please see also our link in our essay to Glenn Miller's essay on that subject, linked in our essay. (We will look at some objections to the Thallus cite.)
    • Marginally reliable or unreliable sources. Three are in this class: Suetonius, the letter of Mara Bar-Serapion, and the Talmud.
  • gumby
    gumby

I swear Im a damn psycic! I just KNEW 'ol hooberus was gonna post next....I swear! How ya doing hoob?

Gumby

• Terry
    Terry

Well, I say that based on the fact that Alexander lived between 350s & 320s BC. The earliest of the the five ancient historians is dated around the 50s BC. So there is quite a gap between them. A similar gap exists between Caesar & the ancient historians that chronicled his life. Hence the amount of legendary material that you must troll through to find the "real" history.

If you compare that with the Gospels, which are dated between 60 & 100 AD (depending on whom you believe), and the time of the alledged events, the time frame is quite small.

This is one of the evidences for a historical Jesus in my opinion.

The transmission of information about events is key.

The people who put their hands on the copying and redacting of "scripture" had every reason to change it (and did) along the way.

Every link in the transmission of a story causes a break.

How many people do you know who have died for their belief in Alexander the Great over the last two thousand years?

How many people have given their lives to Alexander?

How many people have gone to holy war over differing opinions about Alexander's nature?

How many sects, cults and denominations claim that Alexander is alive and returning to destroy the world?

That, my friend, is the very real difference between the existence of Alexander and Jesus; the result of the story and the impact of the salesmanship regarding the importance and relevance of each character.

• hooberus
    hooberus

Just fine Gumby.

Here is a link to my previous thread giving additional historical references specifically for the crucifixion under Pilate.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/63458/1.ashx

• hooberus
    hooberus

Just fine Gumby.

Here is a link to my previous thread giving additional historical references specifically for the crucifixion under Pilate.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/63458/1.ashx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit