Do we have non-Biblical evidence that Jesus Christ existed?

by Inquisitor 64 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

This stuff goes round and round. As Tektoniks acknowledged the tacitus Annals were found in a single copy in the possessison of a Monk in the 15th century. (some insist there existed an earlier 11th century copy but ?) Even if the Annals are genuine the passage in question is not. Tacitus most certainly would not have addressed a Jewish insurrectionist "Christ" with its political implications. The passage describes huge crowds of Christians in Rome at a time when there may have been few at best. describes Just like the spurious Josephus passages not a single early Church father quoted this forged Tacitus quote despite their seeking such a confimation of an historical Jesus. Tertullian used Tacitus extensisvely and even by his time this passage was not known to him. All the evidence taken together (including what the Tektoniks site whitewashes) most certainly puts the quote in serious doubt.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

Terry,

No one that I know of, but then again Alexander never did quite live up to the test of divinity. That is by raising himself from the dead. This is the REAL difference between Jesus & Alexander, not "salesmanship."

• Adonais Child
    Adonais Child

http://www.tektonics.org/jesusexist/jesusexisthub.html An article on secular evidence of Jesus' existence with sources.

• Kristofer
    Kristofer

filed

• greendawn
    greendawn

As far as I know only a small minority of historians believe that Jesus never existed at all, most agree that He did exist though many of these doubt the crucifixion story calling it crucifiction.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR
    As far as I know only a small minority of historians believe that Jesus never existed at all, most agree that He did exist though many of these doubt the crucifixion story calling it crucifiction.

Please cite your source?

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

Pilate, Ciaphas and Herod in historical terms are insignificant compared to the miracle maker- Son of God yet there is concrete evidence of the existance of these characters but non for Christ. But at the same time these people are mentioned in the bible, they did exist, so why should not the most important of these characters, Jesus, have existed? It makes sense then that if the bible got it right about the others, it follows that it must be right about the existence of Jesus.
    If we found a stone with Isous Xristos carved on it, we all know that christendom would miss use it, so maybe God had all the evidence destroyed, if you believe in all this stuff.

• gumby
  • XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

Or could it be that God allowed just enough evidence to convinence but not enough that would not allow people to exercise some degree of faith?

• greendawn
    greendawn

Thanks Gumpy for the prompt it would have taken me a while to find that reference in my files.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit