Is This Kind of Behavior at a Concert Acceptable?? Need Your Opinions.

by Seeker4 41 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Yesterday I attended a music festival. Ten hours long, maybe a dozen or so acts.

When the next to the last act appeared, James McMurtry, the son of writer Larry McMurtry and a hell of a songwriter/musician, his fans were invited to "dance in front of the stage and in the aisles." No one was allowed to do this during any other act. Well, this was an under-the-tent event with about 500 people there. It was also pouring rain outside, the temp was in the 50s, and everyone was crowded under the tents.

What resulted was that about 30 people - at MOST - got to actually "see" McMurtry perform, while the rest of us might as well have been sitting at home in comfort listening to his CDs, instead of staring at the asses of the 70 folks crowded in front of the stage blocking our views. At one point between songs some idiot in the audience - me - yelled - "You guys aren't dancing, you're STANDING!! Sit down!!" And the few that actually WERE dancing? Well, it was mostly just terribly embarrasing.

Am I wrong to think that this is incredibly rude? This was definitely not a punk rock crowd - there was no moshpit and no crowd surfing. Hell, anyone would have been hardpressed to lift any of the obese, middle-aged fat asses we ended up staring at for an hour and a half. Most couples at this show would have spent over $100 for tickets, food and drink at this festival. A lot of them, including myself, are huge McMurtry fans, but we were completely cheated from actually seeing him play. If you were lucky, you got to see his hat floating above the crowd "dancers." I had comp tickets, but I would have demanded a refund if I'd paid for those suckers.

I'm a newspaper editor, and I want to put a piece in tomorrow's edition that just lambasts this sort of shit. Am I way out of line in my thinking on this? I've been told that if you buy a ticket to a concert you can stand or sit - no matter how it affects anyone around you. I think that's bullshit. I went to a Dylan concert two years ago where the people in the first eight rows stood the whole time, blocking the view of hundreds, if not thousands of others. LOTS of people were really pissed off about it. I took all the change I had, plus all the change of everyone around me, and pinged if off the back of the heads of all the people standing in front of me. Didn't make everyone sit, but they paid a price for being assholes!

A ranting S4

• Scully
    Scully

Hey, you're the editor... I think you should speak your mind.

You paid as much for your admission as the people who hogged the front of the stage and didn't get the same enjoyment from that segment of the show as the others.

Now, some might argue and say that the artist gave the invitation to get up and dance, and it would have been rude to just sit there when the artist gave the invitation.

The artist obviously didn't take into consideration the crowds or the weather outside the tent, so that's a reflection on them too. Nice enough to invite audience participation or whatever, but kinda dumb all things considered.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

The guy who has organized these concerts for the past 7 years is a friend of mine, and I think he finds this really unacceptable. BUT, I also think that McMurtry probably makes this a factor in his doing the festival, so the promoter has little or no choice.

It just sticks in my craw. If they want to dance ("stand" is the more accurate word, many of them sort of "bouncing" off-beat, much to my girlfriend's and my amusement), let them dance to the side of the stage, where it was raining and muddy - very romantic and Woodstockian.

And the hell out of the way!

S4

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass
    his fans were invited to "dance in front of the stage and in the aisles." No one was allowed to do this during any other act.

ummmm, I'm sorry... I wouldn't even attend a concert if I had to sit, and was not allowed to danc... I mean what's the point if you can't dance.....

What resulted was that about 30 people - at MOST - got to actually "see" McMurtry perform, while the rest of us might as well have been sitting at home in comfort listening to his CDs,

was the show that lame?... I mean even if I can't "see" him preform, I can al least tell I'm at a live performance...

And the few that actually WERE dancing? Well, it was mostly just terribly embarrasing.

Define dancing... dancing is just an involintary reflex to music that feels good IMO

Am I wrong to think that this is incredibly rude?

Yeah... look at it from the artist point of view... If i was on stage performing I would hope I could make people dance...

I went to a Dylan concert two years ago where the people in the first eight rows stood the whole time, blocking the view of hundreds, if not thousands of others. LOTS of people were really pissed off about it.

really a live concert is about hearing a live performance, and dancing in a crowd... getting to see the person perform is a perk... that's why people pay more for front row seats...

But Hey, that's just my point of view..

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Damn hippies...

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass
    Damn hippies...

Damn Wall-Flowers...

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass
    The guy who has organized these concerts for the past 7 years is a friend of mine,

I'm a newspaper editor, and I want to put a piece in tomorrow's edition

I had comp tickets, but I would have demanded a refund if I'd paid for those suckers.

Next time, if you really want to see him get a "MEDIA" pass, and see him backstage..

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    really a live concert is about hearing a live performance, and dancing in a crowd... getting to see the person perform is a perk... that's why people pay more for front row seats

I've only been to one concert in my life, so what do I know.

But I'm curious about something. Does it matter that if you, or someone else, gets up to dance that you block someone else's view? Isn't that rude? I wouldn't want to pay $50, $75 or $100 just to see some guy dancing in front of me.

But then I think talking or answering the cell phone during movies at the theater is rude.

• rassillon
    rassillon

Pot Head, is that one word or two? ;p

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Most of the concerts that I've been to have people up and dancing. If the venue is like yours, the people are supposed to stay seated and just listen. Sounds like McMurty (sp?) tried to turn the concert into a get up and dance concert instead of a sit down and view concert. He had the right to do that, but it was a bad call. It wasn't the concert-goers fault. It was McMurty (sp?). You should send your hate mail to him or just blast him in your editorial.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit