Why God refuses to interfere

by greendawn 65 Replies latest jw friends

• greendawn
    greendawn

Many people ask why doesn't God interefere to help suffering mankind?

Biblically the answer is very simple: mankind exercise their freedom of choice and in so doing chose to be slaves to sin or the demons if you like. God respects that choice however foolish it may be.

Alienation from the life of God, of the Spirit, is the central problem is it not?

• kid-A
    kid-A

Edited to include appropriate intellectual context:

Many people ask why doesn't God interefere to help suffering mankind? Biblically the answer is very simple: mankind exercise their freedom of choice and in so doing chose to be slaves to sin or the demons if you like. God respects that choice however foolish it may be. Alienation from the life of God, of the Spirit, is the central problem is it not?

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Mormon fluff:
    D&C 59: 21

21 And in nothing doth man offend God, or against none is his wrath kindled, save those who confess not his hand in all things, and obey not his commandments.

So arguably God interferes all the time, maybe we refuse to see it and when we don't like what happens we shake a fist at the heavens (or end up non-believers) while when it goes well we generally get on with disobeying the commandments, blaspheming and ignoring God.

• Star Moore
    Star Moore

Greendawn:

I think you are right, and also the WT...Okay, they are right about some things...

The 2 issues.. God proving by the course of time..that they need God's guidelines as the right and wrong..

and to see if man would love him even under adversities..

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

Not all Christians view suffering and adversity as a bad thing. The person we idolize lived a humble life and died young a very violent death. In contrast to the WT life, we do not look forward to some idilic paradise earth. We are content to be in the kingdom right here and now.

Luke 17:20-21 Being asked by the Pharisees when the Kingdom of God would come, he answered them, "The Kingdom of God doesn't come with observation; neither will they say, 'Look, here!' or, 'Look, there!' for behold, the Kingdom of God is within you."

If I live or die, have adversity, illness, cancer, which I have had, I have peace and I don't have to question why. I have peace that;....Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your thoughts in Christ Jesus.

• under_believer
    under_believer

Greendawn, again, I ask you: Would you mind providing some scriptural references that back up your position?

• Star Moore
    Star Moore

Hello Greendawn;

So, you are right, God is stepping back.. and letting alot of suffering take place.. And I think the WT is right, too..

1. Letting man and Satan have their way, to prove over time.. which way is better.

2. As with Job, God did step back to see if Job still loved him and his ways..

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

Christians today even have more of a blessing than Job did as we have the Holy Spirit dwelling inside us. The Comforter.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

The problem is, of course, that God didn`t have to test Job to see if he "still loved him". Most christians believe that God knows the future (as he is "outside time", and "the beginning and the end"), and he knows what`s inside a persons heart. So God, when testing Job, allready knew the outcome. The test was therefore unnecessary, and so, killing all of Jobs children was pure sadism, wasn`t it? And by the way, why would an almighty being need to "test" someone to see if they loved him? What, does God have some selfesteem-issues, or something? Not even I am that insecure about myself, and I`m not even allmighty. Also, I would never demand that, for example, my child loves me, and definitely not that he would worship me. And I`m not even allmighty and perfect. Doing something like what God did to Job reminds me of something a frustrated, messed-up child would do. Wreck the livingroom and throw the cat in the dishwasher to see if the parents would still love him, or something like that.

• wednesday
    wednesday

The more I see the Hebrew scriptures used to prove why God does anything, the more I realize that people are basing their lives on tales , much like Esop's fables., or Greek mythology. .I could just as easily try and use them as the story about Job, or others .They are good stories and may have some useful purpose in your life, but I don't believe they were meant to be taken literally.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit