Men and their BBQs

by Lady Lee 21 Replies latest social humour

• vitty
    vitty

Oh yeah, its also me who cleans the grill ...........

• luna2
    luna2

My father had two BBQs and a smoker. He loved being in charge of putting the meat on the grill and turning it. My mother would do the rest...she'd even pre-bake the chicken so that all he had to do was slather it with BBQ sauce and brown it. LOL Yah, a real night off for her all right. Good thing she didn't mind. Edit: I have to say, in fairness to my Dad, that he didn't expect her to carry beers to him and he did clean the grills himself.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

I've always hated barbecues - to me it's always meant hot, burning sun, flies, burnt but raw meat, uncomfortable outdoor furniture and rice salad.

But my wife loves them, for some reason. She's not allowed to cook them, but - meat's too sacred in our house to offer them on those modern burnt offering altars euphemistically referred to as "barbecues" - if meat needs cooking properly, I'll do it, PROPERLY, INSIDE, ON THE STOVE!

But she can do all the salads she likes.

• dmouse
    dmouse
    I've always hated barbecues - to me it's always meant hot, burning sun, flies, burnt but raw meat, uncomfortable outdoor furniture and rice salad.

I always felt the same. But the trick is to light the BBQ an hour before you need it and let it settle down. My brother did one last week and he put the food on 3 minutes after dowsing the BBQ with petrol and it was too fierce - so the meat was charcoal on the outside and raw inside. Meat has to be cooked carefully, long and slow.

Also, I do BBQs in the evening, after a scorching day, when it's still warm but not really sunny (not that we get many such days in the UK!).

I buy and prepare all the stuff myself but I don't bother with salad anymore, nobody is interested, they just want MEAT at a BBQ. Not a balanced meal I admit but hey, it's only once in a blue moon! I put some chips 'n' dips out while the meat is cooking.

I do everything - cutting and buttering the rolls, getting the plates, nibbles, sauces, drinks and entertaining the kids. And I clean it all up afterwards. I'm one of those guys that likes the kitchen to myself so I guess that extends to the outside as well!

BBQs for me are an event, not just a meal; a time for family and friends to bathe in the warm afterglow of a cracking day and celebrate what it is to belong to such a great group of people.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    Also, I do BBQs in the evening, after a scorching day, when it's still warm but not really sunny (not that we get many such days in the UK!).

Evening BBQs just mean we get mossies, rather than flies.

• KW13
    KW13

Lady Lee, i gotta admit that reminds me of my Grandad lol.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Mmmmm Mmmmmm.... Now I'm going to have to go buy some ribs to smoke!

• juni
    juni
    When I BBQ I do it all. I love a pork rib roast done on the BBQ (these are the words of Finallyfree (W)

BUT do you make any side dishes????? I haven't come across a guy yet who does.

And poor Hubert----my heart bleeds for you. You HAVE to eat those side dishes to make wifey happy!! Only kidding.

It is so true Lady Lee. They are so proud of their bq'ed meat and rant and rave over their accomplishment. But where is the rest of the meal??? Funny post.

Juni

• cathyk
    cathyk

I resent the implicit sexism in the original post!

Here in the Homeland of Barbecue (North Carolina, USA), I am my household's Mistress of Barbecue.

A nice Boston pork butt, smoked for 8 hours with hickory until it falls off the bone ... Served with the vinegar-pepper nectar that is East Carolina barbecue sauce ... Heaven! I'm not parochial, though -- I will tolerate tomato-based bbq sauces.

Chicken, steak, hamburger ... Mesquite, hickory ... Yum!

My husband is the one who prepares the side dishes. He hates having to deal with the grill.

Cathy Koenig

www.oldlighthousebooks.com

• juni
    juni

You are very lucky Cathy! Your barbeques sound delicious.

Enjoy the summer!

Juni

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit