were you forced to join the (misery ) ministry school?

by headmath 32 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• rebel8
    rebel8

After I turned in my pioneer ID card and told the elders I'd never return to the KH, they kept assigning me talks. For a long time too.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My mother tried to force me but I never could sign up. I just couldn't do it. It didn't feel right.

Josie

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Forced? NO! But gave many "talks" over the years. I considered myself a boring, nervous speaker. Yet to keep up with watchtower protcol my whole family was in it. It's the God-ruled school you can never gradgeeate from. My boys who aren't in anymore used to give impromptu talks to cover for the lazy asses all the time. I sure don't miss that crap.

Dismembered

• unique1
    unique1

I have no idea if I was forced or not. I was like 4 or 5. Hell, I may have loved it for all I know. I remember doing but don't remeber if it was something I wanted to do or something I just did to please others or not.

• Warlock
    Warlock

Lovelylil: I thought we were all volunteers. I was in my 20's when I had my first talk. My theme was "Jah's favor. Does it cause hatred?" It was based on what happened to Joseph, whose fine and upstanding brothers, sold him into slavery. In the beginning, I didn't have any anxiety about being on the platform. That came later.

Warlock

• Jamelle
    Jamelle

I don't recall if I was forced or not. I know that I gave my first talks at a very young age.

What I do recall, is having to work on the same "points" over and over again. Remember those? The one that I struggled with was called "Pausing and Emphasis".

I got a "W" two times in a row from an elder until I finally got passed on it and moved on to the next "challenge".

I was 8 years old, people. What idiot refuses to pass an 8 year old on their talk because of pausing/emphasis. Even my mother, the super-dub, thought it was out of line to give me a "W" the second time.

Oh the memories...

• kid-A
    kid-A

Had my first talk at the age of 8. It was a reading from Job. I cant believe I remember that.

I was terrified but as I have always said, its the only positive thing I derived from being raised a JW. I have no fear at all in public speaking situations.

They finally pulled me when I was about 15 because I told them I had no immediate plans to get baptized...LOL...of course, they still let me operate the sound system

since it's OK for a fader to be utilized for grunt work! LOL

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

They tell you it is a volunteer arrangement but you have certain "brothers" who like to look good in the CO's eyes and the CO may suggest to "encourage" (the word I hated the most in the org.) everyone to join, but some "brothers" take it further than that.

Another hall I was in had an elder that would make you feel worthless if you were not in the school and he would start rumors about you saying you are not spiritual. He was also the school elder for that hall.

I think a little power they think they have, goes to some people's heads.

In the last hall I was in, there was another sister who was being harrassed too by the same elder as me. She gave in to pressure and joined the school. By the way her husband was an unbeliever so she used to go to the hall by herself with three young daughters. This lady was the nervous type too and had lots of anxiety. During her first talk, which by the way the pompous elder told everyone from the platform he finally got her to join the school although she was a witness many years, (what the hell was that about?), she shook uncontrollably and forgot most of her words and her voice was cracking big time! The whole congregation felt sorry for her. Afterwards most of us sisters agreed that it was not loving at all for the elders to "encouage" (meaning whip you) people into joining the school.

I think the situation is dependent on the hall you are in, some brothers are more balanced. But then again, if there was no pressure to join at all, do you think anyone would?

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass
    <<I had no idea it was optional, one of the few things that were in the Borg.>>

It was optional? Knowing that would have saved me a lot of panic attacks and stress growing up.

Yup, not an option... Age 10... My dad would even make sure I got hooked up with no-shows the night of...

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I wasn't forced. I joined because I wanted to. Gave my first talk at age 8.

Coffee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit