WHAT WAS YOUR FAVOURITE/WORST STUDY BOOK?

by badboy 55 Replies latest jw friends

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

The Isaiah's Prophecy books are two of the most boring, self righteous books the Society ever wrote. Like the poster before me said: the Society bends every prophecy to fit themselves. I would sit there are look around to see if anyone showed a glimpse of not believing the rubish we were reading (like myself) and unfortunately all I saw was the glazed over look we see all the time.

I actually did enjoy the greatest man book.

The book I hated the most - the new learn from the great teacher book (or something like that), It is specifically geared to young ones in the Witness faith. My kids who were maybe around 8 and 10 when it came out, came to me one day and asked what a vulva was?

Apparently they picked it up from that book. I don't remember what page it was one but apparently, knowing full well they are running a pedophile paradise, the society put a warning of sorts into this book for kids to not let anyone touch their penis or vulva as it is bad in Jehovah's eyes. Does anyone remember this or have a copy they could scan for us? What is interesting is the "bad guy" shown in the book kneeling by a young ones bed is dressed like a Jehovah's Witness!

Anyway, I screamed and yelled and asked my hubby what the hell does any of this have to do with Jehovah or Jesus or spiritual truth? I mean I was furious that this type of material was in a book that is supposed to teach bible lessons to kids. I thought, this is sick. my hubby gave me the stock JW answer as a MS that at least the society is trying to protect young ones in the congregation. He thought it was wonderful. I said If I want my kids to know what a vulva is - I will teach them myself. It also confirmed for me that the pedophile problem was much bigger than the society would admit to the r&f and knew full well about it.

Anyway, I had many eye opening experiences my last few years in, and this was one of them. Of course I threw the book out.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I thought a Vulva was a type of car.

....oh wait, that's a Volvo.

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

I haven't been to a book study since 1997 and I think we were studying the "greatest man" book at that time. That one was tolerable. I hated the 'Revelation' book and that little blue book. (the 'worship' book?) I can't even remember the name.

• Undecided
    Undecided

The Daniel book is the only one I can remember. I was the congregation book study conductor back in the sixties before the congregations were intergrated here in the south and this one was in a black's home. We sort of grew up together as friends, my grandmother studied with this family and they became JWs. Most of them are dead now. The bro. who owned the home we used as the meeting place and I used to play in the yard when my grandmother studied with his mother and grandmother. We called her aunt Nettie, don't remember why. They lived in the same area my Grandmother Hicks lived, none of my mothers relatives became JWs. I enjoyed my youth back then.

Ken P.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

For me it was _Paradise Restored to Mankind by Theocracy_ hands down.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Like many here, I disliked the Isaiah books, and can honestly say that I don't remember a thing from studying them. I guess that what I really mean is that they tended to say the same thing over and over again using slightly different phrasing and wording. So, in that sense I already know what they said because they said nothing new.
    I didn't care much for the Daniel book. One of my pet peeves is when everyone always refers to Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego as the three Hebrew BOYS who were thrown into the furnace for refusing to worship the image Nebuchadnezzar made. The Bible account itself calls them three able-bodied MEN. Yes, they actually did grow up! I guess that they are supposed to be a good example for today's young people, and young people need youthful examples.
    The whole King of the North vs. King of the South reads as though it was made up. It reads so vaguely out of the Bible that just about any interpretation could be applied to it.
    I actually liked studying the Life: How did it get here? By evolution or creation book. At the time it kept me from accepting the theory of evolution. I know better now.

Dave

• enlightenedcynic
    enlightenedcynic

Here's a book for the old school jw's. I remember being a kid, sittinng in a hot bookstudy and trying to act like I was paying attention while the rest of the study discussed the God's Kingdom Of A Thousand Years book(dirty yellow cover, 400 + pages, crappy illustrations) the absolute worst study publication of all time, in my humble opinion.

ec

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

The WT has books upon books, upon books to interpret the bible, and each year puts out more books, yet they refuse to look into the book of the bible itself!

Me thinks this scripture is fitting for them:

Ecclesiastes 12:12
    Be warned, my son, of anything in addition to them. Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body

This verse is in reference to all the "wise" men who even in Solomon's time were always trying to tell people what to do to please God. One will say, do this; another, no you have to do that. And it is saying you don't need many books of these "wise men" (or WT men either) to tell you what to do, as what you have to do to please God is summed up very simply in the next verse;

13 Now all has been heard;
    here is the conclusion of the matter:
    Fear God and keep his commandments,
    for this is the whole duty of man.

But of course, if everyone applied this, it would put an end to the WT publishing empire now wouldn't it?

• Quandary
    Quandary

I was too young when the Babylon The Great book was being studied, although I do remember that huge red book.

The ALL time WORST ever in my time was the Revelation book and the two volume Isaiah book!

The best ever, that actually taught us a few things about what it means to be a christian, The Greatest Man.

Q

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

Detested the Revelation book. That little book on James was okay. That was a book wasn't it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit