Is there one thing that keeps you from going back?

by nsrn 25 Replies latest jw friends

• nsrn
    nsrn

I had email contact this week for the first time with an old boyfriend--haven't seen him in 28 years! We are catching up on family, etc, and he asks if there is one thing that keeps me from going back to the "Truth". He says he's been in and out all his adult life, but doesn't say why yet.

I'm trying to compose an answer...there are a hundred reasons why I will never go back, but how to sum it up? I'm thinking along the lines of "I just don't believe that the society/GB is God's representative on earth" and see if he presses further.

Suggestions, anyone?

And wouldn't it be great if he lurked on this board?

BTW, this guy was my first love, my first kiss...and when I got the email I turned back into a sweaty-palmed 15 year old!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Hm the one thing that keeps me from going back? Hm let me think...oh yeah that it's a lie? that's it!

Josie

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    he asks if there is one thing that keeps me from going back to the "Truth".

How could I possibly go back to something I already have? The Watchtower Society can only offer lies and abuse.

• greendawn
    greendawn

It's a devious destructive cult, with a 100% failure rate in its predictions that is systematically lying and distorting the truth. Their real purpose is to deceive and exploit their members. The GB is made up of self seeking power hungry men pretending to be the champions of the spiritual culture but understand nothing about it. They are just ordinary crooks that pretend to be God's only chosen supreme religious leaders on earth.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

he asks if there is one thing that keeps me from going back to the "Truth".

It isn't the truth, so you were never in it to start with, so how can you go back to it?

• Fleshybirdfodder
    Fleshybirdfodder

LOTS of things... but if I had to pick just one? Being able to sleep in on Saturdays instead of pestering people who wanted to talk about religion early Saturday morning even less than I did.

• schne_belly
    schne_belly

Because I refuse to live my life being brainwashed

• Scully
    Scully

Well, I've tried the Watchtower's form of slavery and I've decided I didn't like it. It required me to be someone that I'm not: unloving, dishonest, unethical and hypocritical with myself and with other people.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

There are no reasons at all to go back. The Watchtower cult teaches lies, and the people I knew in it were the most abusive people I've ever known.

W

• Star Moore
    Star Moore

1. The Governing Body

2. the secrecy

There's 2 things...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit